View Poll Results: Who is technically responsible for most of your genetics?

Voters
5. This poll is closed
  • Mother

4 80.00%
  • Father

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Belittle you don't have anything better to do who are you kidding.
    So you are telling me in this spare time browsing through topics on MMO, and stumbling on this one, you didint...get insulted by this stupidity?

You could perhaps "wax" some thought into this a little more....
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Everyone else already answered you, you get half and half. What you actually see presenting itself (dad's hair, mom's eyes) doesn't negate that you have genes from the opposite parent...
    Then you Still didn't read ok then I'll ignore your nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    So you are telling me in this spare time browsing through topics on MMO, and stumbling on this one, you didint...get insulted by this stupidity?

You could perhaps "wax" some thought into this a little more....
    Not unless you hear voices in your head mine specifically. Uh no I don't care what you thought was stupid and suggest you wasted your time. Most intelligent people move to threads they do like.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The Y chromosome, if you're typical male. You get one sex chromosome from each parent, and the one from your dad determines (usually) your sex.

The Y chromosome, if I recall correctly, is smaller than the X, so if you are male you get less DNA from your father than from your mother, even ignoring mitochondrial DNA.
    Yes I am aware of sex chromosomes and what makes male and female. I was specifically asking about the mitochondrial Eve and (blank) Adam thing. Which, turns out, WAS just Y chromosome and not nearly as interesting. Thanks though
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    It makes more sense from a biological stand point and a "carry on your own genetic code" thing.

Or does it?

Don't know which is why I asked the main questions and follow ups. Good simple place to start conversation.

SO, the question is if you have a half brother or sister. Technically are they more genetically your brother or sister if you share the same Mother or the same Father?
    They are, in the sense you are asking, equal in terms to how genetically close to you regardless if they are your half sibling by your mother or by your father. You both have 23 chromosomes from the parent you share and 23 from the parent you do not.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2017-07-28 at 12:11 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They are, in the sense you are asking, equal in terms to how genetically close to you regardless if they are your half sibling by your mother or by your father. You both have 23 chromosomes from the parent you share and 23 from the parent you do not.
    Pretty interesting kind of wondered how that fit in Nazi Germany. Watched that film Final Solution and who was Jew not Jew and what not part confused the hell out of me. Just one of the applications I wondered about.

This amount of this or that who's mother or grandfather. Seemed convoluted much like most eugenics.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-07-28 at 12:17 AM.

Pretty interesting kind of wondered how that fit in Nazi Germany. Watched that film Final Solution and who was Jew not Jew and what part confused the hell out of me. Just one of the applications I wondered about
    Nazi Germany had their own methods of determining who was and was not a Jew. They didn't really use a strict genetic threshold in making their determination. If I recall correctly if 3 of your grandparents were Jews...that made you a Jew in their eyes.

Not really sure what that has to do with your question though.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

As people said you are technically a little bit more genetically like your mother mainly due to mitochondrial dna. There is also another important factor I did not learn about until I took a cellular biology class in college (I went for a bio minor), and that is epigenetic inheritance. It mainly comes from these factors I'm not going to go look them all up but I think the main one is methylization and these factors are often passed down at least partially and what they do is they either is they either make certain parts of your DNA coil more tightly or loosely when they are chillin in the cells lets say a certain part of your genome that codes for a certain protein is coiled more tight due to methylization it will express itself less. If I remember correctly these are passed down from the mother most of the time but can be passed down from the father. But yeah that and mitochondrial DNA are both pretty minor compared to your genome. I am not a scientist so I can't give better explanations or even numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if it was like 49.5% dad and 50.5% mom overall, but it could also be 49.999% dad I really don't know lol.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Nazi Germany had their own methods of determining who was and was not a Jew. They didn't really use a strict genetic threshold in making their determination. If I recall correctly if 3 of your grandparents were Jews...that made you a Jew in their eyes.

Not really sure what that has to do with your question though.
    Yeah exactly Pretty stupid notion. As to genetics. I just think it's interesting since so much that surrounds it especially whacked out ideology

You have a fascination with incest huh?
    yeah.. the what... one time I've mentioned it just now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by INVASMANIXOXOXO View Post
    As people said you are technically a little bit more genetically like your mother mainly due to mitochondrial dna. There is also another important factor I did not learn about until I took a cellular biology class in college (I went for a bio minor), and that is epigenetic inheritance. It mainly comes from these factors I'm not going to go look them all up but I think the main one is methylization and these factors are often passed down at least partially and what they do is they either is they either make certain parts of your DNA coil more tightly or loosely when they are chillin in the cells lets say a certain part of your genome that codes for a certain protein is coiled more tight due to methylization it will express itself less. If I remember correctly these are passed down from the mother most of the time but can be passed down from the father. But yeah that and mitochondrial DNA are both pretty minor compared to your genome. I am not a scientist so I can't give better explanations or even numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if it was like 49.5% dad and 50.5% mom overall, but it could also be 49.999% dad I really don't know lol.
    Pretty fascinating wonder how the traits work out. Thanks for the information.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    yeah.. the what... one time I've mentioned it just now?
    You totally brought that bullshit up. Quantifying it's your defense lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way that this stuff manifests can be anecdotally interesting.

I have 3 siblings, one being a "full" brother, and the other two being half-brothers from either side.

Yet, out of that pool of siblings, the only ones that resemble eachother are me and the half brother from my dad's side. The other two look unrelated. My "full" brother even likes to quiz people about whether or not they think we're brothers when we're out together, and most people just don't want to believe it.

On a pure genetic level though, there's 4 parts to the answer. Most have been mentioned.

1. You get 50% from your father, 50% from your mother. Which 50% is completely random, as due to purposeful cross-overs even within chromosomes, the combination of genes you pass on to your children is completely randomized. So at its most basic, both parents pass on 50% of their DNA. So if you have a half-sibling, they'd be equally related to you, whether from father or mother's side. The other points I'll list are just smaller factors.

2. If you're a girl, you have 2 X-chromosomes. This is actually one more than is useful to the body, so one is practically completely deactivated. Which of the two is random, different within each cell, so overall you're still 50% related to each parent. But one cell may express more genes from your father's side, another more from your mother's side. You have 37.2 trillion cells, so it doesn't usually matter much.
    If you're a boy, you only got one X-chromosome, which came from your mother. And one Y-chromosome from your father. As you only have 1, none are deactivated, so all the instructions for your body on that chromosome, you get from your mother. Such as color-blindness, now expressed in all your cells. Which is why that's a ton more common in men. There's a huge amount more genes on the X-chromosome than the Y-chromosome. So you're technically more related to your mother, as a boy. However, you got all of your male characteristics from your father. It's that small Y-chromosome that makes you not a woman. So, physically and often mentally, the effects are still very huge. So I suppose where you draw the equation there isn't just math, but also psychology and philosophy, and isn't 100% objective.

3. Someone smartly mentioned mitochondria. These are little energy factories within each of your cell with their own DNA. Mostly to deal with their own function. These do tip the total DNA inherited from parents back in your mother's favor, just a little. Though how much of an impact that has on who you are as a person has yet to be determined, as far as I know. Barring degenerative mutations that impair their function, anyway.

4. Children look more like their father than their mother. Statistically proven so. This likely has to do with bonding. It's proven that men are better fathers to their children, if they are genetically related. Even if they are unaware they are not related on a conscious level, it's proven that unrelated children are treated worse. And throughout the course of human evolution, investment of fathers in the lives of their children has been a positive factor overall to insure survival and fitness.
    In other words, a mother knows a child is hers, 100%. But fathers are less certain. It's possible they are not. And investing time, effort and resources into a child not your is not genetically beneficial. So children looking like their dad is understandable evolutionary, as it reassures them they should invest in the child on a subconscious genetic level.
    So again, physical appearance matters more to you than cellular processes, than you may conclude children get more from their father. Even if this isn't truly genetically so, and only skin-deep.

Short version: You get 50%. Everything's just as related. But it gets more complicated in the small details.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2017-07-28 at 04:49 AM.

You get (on average) the same amount of chromosomal DNA from both parents.

Technically you get slightly more DNA from the mother though because of mitochondrial DNA (everyone inherits their mother's, short of genetic abnormalities), but it's pretty short - about 17k base pairs out of like 3 billion. Probably less than the random variation in the chromosomal DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    You get 23 from the father, 23 from the mother, its pretty random which 23 of the 46, but you get half/half. The differences you see between brothers/sisters is due to which 23 they get along with dominate recessive genes.
    Yeah. In theory you could get the exact opposite set to your sister and have nothing genetically in common with her. At least in terms of the regular 23 pairs, you'd still have the same mtDNA.

I think that's incredibly unlikely though, since not only do you get one chromosome from each parent, they mix in the meiosis phase so you'd have to get not only the opposite chromosomes but all the opposite genes/alleles/etc as well.

What homework would this be for in your accusation
    Intro To Arguing With Your Buddy On The Couch.

It's kind of a bludge subject to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    On a pure genetic level though, there's 4 parts to the answer. Most have been mentioned.

1. You get 50% from your father, 50% from your mother. Which 50% is completely random, as due to purposeful cross-overs even within chromosomes, the combination of genes you pass on to your children is completely randomized. So at its most basic, both parents pass on 50% of their DNA. So if you have a half-sibling, they'd be equally related to you, whether from father or mother's side. The other points I'll list are just smaller factors.

2. If you're a girl, you have 2 X-chromosomes. This is actually one more than is useful to the body, so one is practically completely deactivated. Which of the two is random, different within each cell, so overall you're still 50% related to each parent. But one cell may express more genes from your father's side, another more from your mother's side. You have 37.2 trillion cells, so it doesn't usually matter much.
    If you're a boy, you only got one X-chromosome, which came from your mother. And one Y-chromosome from your father. As you only have 1, none are deactivated, so all the instructions for your body on that chromosome, you get from your mother. Such as color-blindness, now expressed in all your cells. Which is why that's a ton more common in men. There's a huge amount more genes on the X-chromosome than the Y-chromosome. So you're technically more related to your mother, as a boy. However, you got all of your male characteristics from your father. It's that small Y-chromosome that makes you not a woman. So, physically and often mentally, the effects are still very huge. So I suppose where you draw the equation there isn't just math, but also psychology and philosophy, and isn't 100% objective.

3. Someone smartly mentioned mitochondria. These are little energy factories within each of your cell with their own DNA. Mostly to deal with their own function. These do tip the total DNA inherited from parents back in your mother's favor, just a little. Though how much of an impact that has on who you are as a person has yet to be determined, as far as I know. Barring degenerative mutations that impair their function, anyway.

4. Children look more like their father than their mother. Statistically proven so. This likely has to do with bonding. It's proven that men are better fathers to their children, if they are genetically related. Even if they are unaware they are not related on a conscious level, it's proven that unrelated children are treated worse. And throughout the course of human evolution, investment of fathers in the lives of their children has been a positive factor overall to insure survival and fitness.
    In other words, a mother knows a child is hers, 100%. But fathers are less certain. It's possible they are not. And investing time, effort and resources into a child not your is not genetically beneficial. So children looking like their dad is understandable evolutionary, as it reassures them they should invest in the child on a subconscious genetic level.
    So again, physical appearance matters more to you than cellular processes, than you may conclude children get more from their father. Even if this isn't truly genetically so, and only skin-deep.

Short version: You get 50%. Everything's just as related. But it gets more complicated in the small details.
    Thank you for the break down, and not just pasting a link. I have had this conversation with a few co workers, and it gets pretty interesting especially when some just recently had children.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You get (on average) the same amount of chromosomal DNA from both parents.

Technically you get slightly more DNA from the mother though because of mitochondrial DNA (everyone inherits their mother's, short of genetic abnormalities), but it's pretty short - about 17k base pairs out of like 3 billion. Probably less than the random variation in the chromosomal DNA.

Yeah. In theory you could get the exact opposite set to your sister and have nothing genetically in common with her. At least in terms of the regular 23 pairs, you'd still have the same mtDNA.

I think that's incredibly unlikely though, since not only do you get one chromosome from each parent, they mix in the meiosis phase so you'd have to get not only the opposite chromosomes but all the opposite genes/alleles/etc as well.

Intro To Arguing With Your Buddy On The Couch.

It's kind of a bludge subject to be honest.
    Well my attempt was to make something interesting without it having to do with anything too political or about something overly negative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    The way that this stuff manifests can be anecdotally interesting.

I have 3 siblings, one being a "full" brother, and the other two being half-brothers from either side.

Yet, out of that pool of siblings, the only ones that resemble eachother are me and the half brother from my dad's side. The other two look unrelated. My "full" brother even likes to quiz people about whether or not they think we're brothers when we're out together, and most people just don't want to believe it.
    Yeah pretty much what I was kind of getting at, because now days with so many mixed families, I think it's odd when comparing siblings with one different biological parent.

I think I read somewhere about fraternal twins possibly being fathered by two different men, really can't remember where I heard that, but I wonder.

Dude, fucking censor that pic, there's children using this forum.

I think I read somewhere about fraternal twins possibly being fathered by two different men, really can't remember where I heard that, but I wonder.
    This is actually true. It's very rare, of course. Fraternal twins means something went off, and there were two egg cells released at the same time, instead of one. Other than twins originating from an egg cell splitting in two after fertilization, these twins are not identical, originating from different egg cells and different sperm cells. So there's 50% chance they aren't even the same gender. In case sperm cells of multiple origins are present, the resulting offspring may have different fathers.

Despite the relatively small odds of this, there are known examples.