View Poll Results: Were Demon Hunters a mistake?

Voters
322. This poll is closed
  • Yes! They shouldn't have been a class.

99 30.75%
  • No! They're great! They just need more time to get better.

223 69.25%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BedlamBros View Post
    1. Dull rotation/Gameplay
    2. Another melee spec!
    3. Why do they only have 2 specs?
    4. They took away my meta!!
    5. DH tanks are the worst tanks. We don't want them in our raids!
    6. DH PvP sucks!
    1. This isn't a DH-exclusive problem. The anger w/ this particular issue should be directed at those responsible for class development, generally, for being very hit-and-miss with regards to what the players actually want from their class/specialization.

2. I don't take much issue with this, personally, because most of the "Next Class" proposals that remain are partially-implemented via other specializations (Necromancer w/ Demonology Warlock or Unholy DK, Ranger w/ Marksmanship Hunter, Buccaneer w/ Outlaw Rogue, etc.). There are things like Dragonsworn or Tinker that could have some unique take on rDPS, but ultimately both of them are still also melee-focused in their implementation.

3. Warning: You're about to experience a personal opinion -- I actually hope classes continue to be implemented w/ only 2 specializations. In fact, were it up to me, I think I'd actually chop up existing classes into 2-specialization classes as well, because for many classes the third specialization seems contrived and unrelated to the others.

4. Demonology Warlocks didn't really make sense as they were. I remain unconcerned with this complaint.

5. Their current standing, numerically, doesn't really reflect upon how fun they are/aren't.

6. All PvP sucks. Oh, we weren't just spouting our opinions as fact?

DH's are exactly as I expected them to be.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Havoc feels so bland, the mobility and double jumping is fun, but ive never felt more bored playing a spec. Maybe its just me but I hope they rework them so they can at-least have talent choices that don't further dumb them down. I felt even Arms was more engaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

the only thing i feel let down on, and it's very minor mind you, is that there is no 3rd spec. I personally would have enjoyed a 3rd spec that was maybe mid ranged based. That's about it, and even then it didn't ruin the class or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I'm not a fan of the class. I think it could have been implemented much better, and the 2 spec stuff is a pretty big letdown.

Here's my write-up of the Demon Hunter class from 4 years ago:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Hunters-(Long)

If something like that were in WoW now, I'd probably feel differently.

That said, I think the class has potential to get better with subsequent expansions, so I voted "No".
    I mean, your idea was basically everything a demon hunter is, but also a bunch of other stuff that other classes have.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed mine for a bit, but it was in edible easy to shelf it.
    Being limited two two specs/roles, and little variation in he roles turned me off in a hurry.

Deleted
    Well...it took me a long time to warm up to DK... and DH is beeing no different. I usually have little interest in the "badass" classes. I did the starting area on a belf. I didn't hate it or anything, but i didn't touch it ever again. Just not my thing.

Now tinkers... i'd probably jump on that.

They're by far the most fun class for casual content. Raiding though, i main havoc and the chaos strike spam is just awful. Vengeance is pretty much the same, very good for dungeons and what not, but as mentioned the worst tanks in raids.

The 1st thing we need for havoc if demon blades remains a thing, is to give Chaos Strike a CD. Make 1st blood and bloodlet passives. Lower the dmg of throw glaive so that it's used just to refresh bloodlet and not as a filler. Lower blade dance and felblade's cd. Maybe then we can have an actual rotation instead of spamming chaos strike. Obviously it's gonna need some dmg tweaking, but the spec won't be fun in raids as long as your "rotation" is to spam chaos strike.

The class could have had a 3rd spec, preferably ranged. There's a lot of DH NPCs using scythes, they probably had a 3rd spec planned and scratched it.

Overall the class leaves a lot to be desired. Not very fun in a raiding environment, and you feel very limited with just 2 specs. With that said, double jump, glide, the mobility, and the aesthetic of the class make it more fun to play casually than any other imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Of course there is, every single other class in the game has 3, and one has 4 specs. To make a new class and give it two reeks of laziness.

Ranged DH, Soul Reaper. Make it use various chaos magics, with a small mix of melee attacks that bring them into boss range, with one or two that move them away.
    Build the spec around using weaker spells at range to build some resource, spend them in melee on crushing attacks.

Man, that was so hard.

I mean, it took like 5 whole minutes to think of.
    I'd rather them keep the 2 specs than water it down trying to force a third spec on it
    and back on topic: demon hunters aren't a let down, I love mine as an alt i can hop on and screw around now and then but I don't think I'd ever main it

Quote Originally Posted by BedlamBros View Post
    1. Dull rotation/Gameplay
    2. Another melee spec!
    3. Why do they only have 2 specs?
    4. They took away my meta!!
    5. DH tanks are the worst tanks. We don't want them in our raids!
    6. DH PvP sucks!

So my question is this: Did Blizzard make a mistake by bringing this class into the game? Why or why not?
    1. subjective whining. Make it different and ppl will whine it's difficult and overcomplicated.
    2. well, honestly I wouldn't mind some range class (preferably using guns/rifles, but that's me) since we don't have much of those and Hunters don't have any competition in the weapon department. Issue somewhat acceptable.
    3. been already explained, at the very beginning. Ppl who whine about it have evident problems with understanding written text.
    4. because...? Without examples (which in most cases are subjective whining) its pure whining.
    5. haven't tried DH tanking so no opinion here. But seeing how OP DH are (early DK syndrome) it's hard to believe they are straight bad. L2P?
    6. again, non PvP so totally <no comment>

And to answer your question: no, there was no mistake. DH fit well into Legion story, exactly as DKs fitted WotLK and Monks into Pandaria. Class is new, probably needs fine tuning to fit overall gameplay mechanics. Apart that its fine class. Despite being another melee it's nice and fresh. I myself like very much its mobility. Sure, output is highly unpredictable (one mob can die literally one-two shotted, other I struggle and end it half dead) but being able to move fast, hit and run, jump as bunny bring much more action into class. It's something more entertaining than stationary frostbolting or rotating through courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    I'd rather them keep the 2 specs than water it down trying to force a third spec on it
    and back on topic: demon hunters aren't a let down, I love mine as an alt i can hop on and screw around now and then but I don't think I'd ever main it
    Aren't a let down, but you don't main one and probably never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Aren't a let down, but you don't main one and probably never will.
    doesn't mean they're a let down, just not something I'd like to play long term. still tons of fun when i jump on him to run dungeons or whatever i feel like doing with him

Yea that class should haver never been implemented. Tank ok, but yet another meele class. There was no need for that. After playing DH a little on Beta and later some time on live i quickly decided not to touch the class ever again.

Well, I don't know why but I'm pretty sure Blizzard will give DH a 3rd spec in the next expansion. A class with 2 specs just feels off. If they needed another 2 years to develop one, yes, okay. But DH won't stay with just 2 specs imho.

I think Vengeance is a fantastic spec, utility, mobility, amazing self healing, great for soloing, etc.
    I love dh tanking, with a few fixes it could be the best, bar none.

Havoc... now, what is Havoc again? Jokes aside I tried it for a while, but it's imo an incredibly boring spec with no appeal at all.

Deleted
    Such unbiased and balanced poll choices and explanation, woooow.
    I'd fully expect you to be at least a bit surprised by the result, OP.

I dont think they were a letdown, I have had a lot of fun with my DH and it is actually the only new class that released with an expansion that I got myself to play on for a longer amount of time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    yes. a complete waste. the game already suffers from over saturation of classes AND races.

arguable point: this class is so paper thin there wasnt even enough to create 3 proper specs. obvious shoehorn to appease a minor group of people.
    Yeah sure lol. The sheer numbers of DHs seen in any group content, like, totally corroborates your yapping

Veng is cool, Havoc is meh...

I like them , DHs are half the reason I came back to wow. I've mained a DH ever since they got released , and I've been having a blast. The mobility is godly , the burst is fun , the animations are awesome. And you have at least 2 viable and very different builds within the Havoc tree ( Demonic and Blades) which give you some choice of how to tackle this or that fight.
    As for the gameplay , I've played a Havoc DH, Windwalker Monk, Ret Pally, Frost DK and Enh Shammy at 110. The complexity of the rotation is the same across the board. Hell frost DK has even less buttons, enh shammy is as/more spammy than Havoc. People just bash DHs cause they don't know better and cause it's the new kid on the block. They used to say this when every DH played through momentum , and playing that build well was harder than playing 90% of the other specs.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig