Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Reminds me of Judge Dredd. Unemployment is up over 95% because machines do everything, so the people have virtually 100% free time, leading to absolutely absurd levels of crime, substance abuse, and debauchery.
    I always thought fear of eugenics was silly and couldn't happen but when you think about it, what need do the 1% have for the other 99% once they can get everything they want from machines. The universal income sounds like the naive persons belief that they are of some value once they can be adequately replaced with a mechanical version of themselves. About the only good I see coming in the future is when the mass poverty and starvation start to set in the planet might be able to rejuvenate provided people don't start firing nukes.

It only really takes 7-14 days of no food and you could kill 99% of the worlds population.

So in your opinion they should hire these guys, who will in turn get somebody killed by dumping a load of steel on them or smashing a crane into a building, then end up with massive lawsuits forcing them into bankrupcy, the perpetrator in prison, because "factories don't get to be picky"?

I had a friend in high school who smoked a bong, and I didn't trust him to hand me my cell phone across the room, let alone man a multi-ton construction machine. I think he broke 2-3 cell phones of mine per year.
    Nice call to random anecdotes. Again if they want to get better people, they have to deal with the capitalist market like everybody else and suck it up snowflake. Either lower your standard or increase pay so that better suited people sends in resume. Or cry in public. How come other countries with high legal drug usages in the west dont have ultra increased factory death compared to the US? Yet most of these countries make job drugs testing illegal, try figuring this one out.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    There is a very simple solution, carry out Impairment tests not Drug tests.
    And this is where that is true, this is why you see police officers do a sobriety test by getting the person to do some simple tasks like walking a straight line to see if they are drunk or not..

Reminds me of Judge Dredd. Unemployment is up over 95% because machines do everything, so the people have virtually 100% free time, leading to absolutely absurd levels of crime, substance abuse, and debauchery.
    I always found people who quote fiction as their evidence for what something might happen in reality amusing.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/29/us/ohi...ntv/index.html

So do you legalization advocates think this company and others like it (or any industry, even where the use of dangerous machinery/driving isn't required) should be forced to shell out more of their own money to accommodate drug users? To give more precise (and more expensive) regular drug tests to determine if their employees are showing up to work high or if they are just recreational users during their off hours? Do you think they should just tolerate their employees showing up to worked impaired? Or do you think all people who use and abuse drugs should be precluded from working since the employers can't determine whether they use their drugs while working without spending more and more money?

All of those options are pretty shit, but they have to pick one since more and more idiots are using drugs.
    Do they test people daily for alcohol?

Deleted
    Why not do an impairment test instead of something that doesn't indicate how recent consumption was? Can you imagine how long it would take to fill a workforce of construction workers if they weren't allowed to have consumed alcohol in the last 2 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Why not do an impairment test instead of something that doesn't indicate how recent consumption was? Can you imagine how long it would take to fill a workforce of construction workers if they weren't allowed to have consumed alcohol in the last 2 weeks?
    Youd probably have 0.1% of the workforce left lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I always found people who quote fiction as their evidence for what something might happen in reality amusing.
    Check out http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ifeImitatesArt. You'll get a kick out of how many things in this world started out as fiction before they ended up becoming reality. Some of them are funny, others less so.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Check out http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ifeImitatesArt. You'll get a kick out of how many things in this world started out as fiction before they ended up becoming reality. Some of them are funny, others less so.
    The only problem is that you used judge dredd in a message judge dredd never intended to portay. Youd only think that if you saw only the Stalone movie i guess. The massive criminality in mega cities arent because of lack of things to do, most everyone has to work their own way to even survive and pay off big criminals or judges. The problem Judge Dredd advocate is the way a police states never solve crime rates, it actually increases it in a race. With the titular character Judge Dredd often rebeling against judges, because he was made up by the judges to be the perfect embodiment of justice, but police states are not justice.

Safety should always come first, which she is 100% justified in adhering to... there is nothing discriminatory about it --- her work environment is dangerous with the sort of work involved.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Safety should always come first, which she is 100% justified in adhering to... there is nothing discriminatory about it --- her work environment is dangerous with the sort of work involved.
    Except she goes one step further and whines about not being able to fill her positions. She has the same recourse we all do in capitalism, increase the salary to attract better workers. Industrial people always ready to lower salaries... but guess what when you need worker, you gotta pay up or keep the position empty or lower your standard, there is no alternative, crying doesent fix it.

So do you legalization advocates think this company and others like it (or any industry, even where the use of dangerous machinery/driving isn't required) should be forced to shell out more of their own money to accommodate drug users? To give more precise (and more expensive) regular drug tests to determine if their employees are showing up to work high or if they are just recreational users during their off hours? Do you think they should just tolerate their employees showing up to worked impaired? Or do you think all people who use and abuse drugs should be precluded from working since the employers can't determine whether they use their drugs while working without spending more and more money?

All of those options are pretty shit, but they have to pick one since more and more idiots are using drugs.
    You drink alcohol? You use suggar? You drink coffee/tea?
    Then you're a drug using idiot...

Anyway, don't have drug tests, easycakes.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Deleted
    You don't see an issue with large portions of the working age able bodied population sitting around getting high instead of working?
    Where in the article does it say that a single worker in this case was found to be "sitting around getting high instead of working"?

and this is perfect prime example why dumb poor people stay poor only complain about nobody wanting to hire them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...and ofc this is about Marihuana...people drinking alcohol and working is a non issue because alcohol is legal although with the effects it has it should be illegal
    that soo not true - if anyone cought you drunk in work you would get instantly fired.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Which means 60% don't. I fail to see an issue. Besides, who do you think applies for a job at a factory?
    A decent amount of drug users it seems xD

In my experience this isn't the case, drug testing in the work place includes alcohol
    Alcohol is out of your system by...what...the next day? Marijuana can be detectable for weeks. So unless you're showing up drunk or you're an alcoholic, testing for alcohol seems pretty pointless.

It's more to catch the "morning after the night before" drunks.

But as I have already said, Drug Tests should be replaced by Impairment Tests and this would eradicate the possibility of loosing your job for a joint you smoked a few weeks back.
    Well, yeah. But that would probably be more difficult and/or expensive. Easier for companies to just look at some numbers on a chart and toss your application or fire you.

Usually the test picks up weed cause weed stays in your system for months. I know the article mentions opioids but I don't think opioids stay in your system for a real long time.

And the job market is so good right now the A list applicants are already working, so are the B and C list applicants, the employer probably has to draw from the D and F lists.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-07-30 at 12:28 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Yeah, well, a lot of these people have lost everything because of these companies pulling out and relocating. The solid workforce they left behind either relocated themselves, or retired. These companies don't offer a fraction of what they did 17 years ago, you think pot heads don't sit around and think about the good ole days?

Who in their right mind wants to go to work for a bunch of slave drivers who pay peanuts - right now the government offers them everything they need, even extra spending cash.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the business is well within their right to have a strict drug policy in place. I work in a similar environment, in a machine shop and frequently have to operate a crane as part of my regular duties. I can tell you first hand that it can be scary as shit trying to move something that weighs several thousand pounds around, or having to manipulate such heavy objects. Having potentially impaired workers operating such equipment would be horrible. Granted we don't do drug testing but we don't have an opioid problem in Ontario. I recall a couple of situations last summer where myself and a coworker were having to flip over a casting that itself weighed about 8000 pounds, which is big for us because normally we only hoist objects that are at most 2000 pounds. It was a major challenge to do it safely.