Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Disease, bad eating habits and medicine of the old days
    you are telling me without modern medicine and with bad eating habits the oldest human EVER would be 25 years old?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I think those articles might be BADLY underestimating the rate at which technology and science are advancing. The article you linked seems to be an argument about statistics and how the original study was conducted poorly. It had very little to do with advances in medical science or technology.
    Given that the majority of human enhancement tech predictions from the past turned out to be ridicoulous I'd bet they are overestimating it.

How about we break the record set 20 years ago first, before starting to talk about adding 28 years?
    Last edited by Dangg; 2017-07-30 at 09:38 AM.

Absolutely, because I imagine that you'd age at a similar rate.

That means a 30 year old man would look and feel that way at age 70 instead. That means you'd gain more wisdom, yet have enough time to achieve goals you'd want to gun for. I'm all for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    you are telling me without modern medicine and with bad eating habits the oldest human EVER would be 25 years old?
    Imagine a world without antibiotics or vaccines, you don't have to look that far back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    Given that the majority of human enhancement tech predictions from the past turned out to be ridicoulous I'd bet they are overestimating it.

How about we break the record set 20 years ago first, before starting to talk about adding 28 years?
    A lot has to do with society, as well. What forms of food, medical tech, or augmentations are acceptable. When you stop to consider that there are people still alive today that grew up without a TV, living at the same time as kids who will NEVER have NOT had the internet.....things get interesting. I don't think it's really fair to throw older groups of people into the mix with the way things are progressing today.

Although I guess a lot depends on your sample size. We've also still got 3rd world countries where people live in abject poverty, with a life expectancy of around 30 IF they're lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Imagine a world without antibiotics or vaccines, you don't have to look that far back.
    Exactly this. And I think this is why many of the studies done about human lifespan are grossly underestimating the possibilities of today's tech and science.

Only if it applied to everyone else as well.

Deleted
    A lot of people responded to the OP with no. I don't understand this.
    Is the world that fucking boring? I entirely intend to live for as long as possible, if people can ever become immortal I'm throwing myself into that clinical trial.
    Why would you want to trade something for nothing? Short of living in pain/misery, doing stuff is great. I love doing stuff. I'm gonna do stuff forever. It's infinitely better than doing nothing.

No. My knees and shoulder don't like the cold now and I am not even half way to the low end of the question. At some point you just got to accept part of life is eventual death. Sure if we lived in some Star Trek society and someone being 150 felt like someone being 60-70 years old thanks to insane medical advancement, sure. But in any sort of realistic view of how things are in the world today? Oh hell no.

Sure, if you age at half the pace you do now why not. Just think of the wisdom people would have.

I would, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharjo View Post
    A lot of people responded to the OP with no. I don't understand this.
    Is the world that fucking boring? I entirely intend to live for as long as possible, if people can ever become immortal I'm throwing myself into that clinical trial.
    Why would you want to trade something for nothing? Short of living in pain/misery, doing stuff is great. I love doing stuff. I'm gonna do stuff forever. It's infinitely better than doing nothing.
    Probably younglings and don't know any better.

No, and no one should want to. You live and you die. Accept your mortality and stop trying to live outside what nature has intended.

No. Life is already far too long. I don't want to live to see my next birthday, let alone a hundred and fifty more.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

As long as I could move around under my own power, felt relatively well physically and had my full mental capacity- sure.

I view life as adventuresome and full of sensation. It sucks it has to end at some point. Choosing a shorter life seems like missing out.

Deleted
    A more early death is probably better than a slow painful suffering. And you automatically start to suffer at a age level.

Old and in a diaper? No way in hell.

Suspend aging so I look and operate like I am 60 when I am really 160? Sure ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if Blizzard's servers will be maintained until then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would if I could live well enough to manage pain, get around and be largely independent.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."