Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is There A Single Sentient Arthropod Race That's Good?

Being a fan of invertebrates, I was thinking about the different races of the world. I'm not sure I can think of a single 'good' race. All of the invertebrate/arthropod style races are pretty much malevolent. The Klaxxi are the only ones that I can think of which have some neutral stances. The rest, mostly from the Aqir are all evil. It would be good to see some beneficial arthropod races...

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    The living Neubrians that gave us quests to wipe out the scourge, as well as fought against the scourge forces seemed if not good, neutral and heavily leaning towards us rather than the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    The living Neubrians that gave us quests to wipe out the scourge, as well as fought against the scourge forces seemed if not good, neutral and heavily leaning towards us rather than the enemy.
    Hmm, I suppose. I think what I would like, though, is a truly benevolent race. We still kill many Nerubians. Most of them are evil. I'd love for Blizz to add a new race which was friendly and we could get to know them and work with them. When I first saw the Botani I thought they would be good. They would've been interesting. The reason I say this is because I think invertebrates or arthropods have a bad reputation. It'd be interesting to see something like a beetle race or even a butterfly race (in a slightly more mature style) because after all these little guys do a lot for humans in terms of their ecology as do most insect groups.

This. There used to be hintings that they were old god related and yet it seems to now be that they are not.

In regards to the OP, the Klaxxi were never neutral or good technically. They were using us to depose the queen who was unfit and nothing more. They flat out told us they respected us, but were always a servant of the old gods, and one in particular.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LordSarumantheWise View Post
    Hmm, I suppose. I think what I would like, though, is a truly benevolent race. We still kill many Nerubians. Most of them are evil. I'd love for Blizz to add a new race which was friendly and we could get to know them and work with them. When I first saw the Botani I thought they would be good. They would've been interesting. The reason I say this is because I think invertebrates or arthropods have a bad reputation. It'd be interesting to see something like a beetle race or even a butterfly race (in a slightly more mature style) because after all these little guys do a lot for humans in terms of their ecology as do most insect groups.
    What living nerubians did we kill? Legitimate question as I haven't checked, but I am of the understanding any we killed were undead and the living ones flat out made it clear they were no longer their kin since they were enthralled by the LK.

10+ Year Old Account
    well most of the neubrians we fought were under control from the lich king. The ones we met that were alive helped us. But I get what you are saying.
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    I'll admit I'm not ultra strong on this side of the lore, or much of WoW's lore. I wasn't fully aware their was a distinction between living and dead Nerubians. I thought all Nerubians were undead and hostile, but that's just my ignorance. That's pretty bad though since I played since 2006 and should've known this in Wrath.

Anyway, yeah aside from the Nerubians...I just want the insect equivalent of the Jinu to be honest. They were interesting and unique.

i would like a friendly bug race.

maybe going forward with the army of light, we'll see some insectoid survivors within it.

Bugs need to be stomped on, not befriended!

I'll admit I'm not ultra strong on this side of the lore, or much of WoW's lore. I wasn't fully aware their was a distinction between living and dead Nerubians. I thought all Nerubians were undead and hostile, but that's just my ignorance. That's pretty bad though since I played since 2006 and should've known this in Wrath.

Anyway, yeah aside from the Nerubians...I just want the insect equivalent of the Jinu to be honest. They were interesting and unique.
    They actually changed the quest text in Cata for one of the quests to indicate that when you destroyed the eggs that were corrupted that they actually had a store of untainted eggs elsewhere so there is the potential to come back. I wouldn't say as playable necessarily, but possibly as a neutral race.

10+ Year Old Account

Yea the majority of them were undead, the lich king killed most of them after the Neubrians accidentally created a second front with the faceless. some of the remaining living ones are the ones who give you the azjol-nerub and ahnkahnet quests
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    Yea the majority of them were undead, the lich king killed most of them after the Neubrians accidentally created a second front with the faceless. some of the remaining living ones are the ones who give you the azjol-nerub and ahnkahnet quests
    For some reason I forgot about NPCs like Reclaimer A'zak. Makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Bugs need to be stomped on, not befriended!
    Not exactly the best attitude to have...

The Nerubians we kill are those taken over by the Scourge. The few remaining living ones, are not hostile to us.

We can't be sure how friendly the Nerubian empire was at its height. But they were cultured and practiced magic. I believe Malygos is even hinted to have spent time among them in insectoid shape. Still, neutral refugees isn't enough to assume they were friendly before. The Klaxxi for one may have been accepting of our aid when they faced a greater threat, but they were undoubtedly evil. It were the Klaxxi priests that kept the Mantid people to worship of the Old Gods, controlled and replaced queens, and kept their people to their military cycle of invasions.

I'd love an insectoid race on our side though. Possibly as new race. A void-based expansion sounds like a great time for it too.
    After all, the Aqir used to be a slave race to the Faceless. What if there is still a colony deep beneath the earth, now forced to the surface due to N'Zoth's growing tendrils and influence beneath the earth? Sounds like a perfect candidate of displaced people to seek refuge with the Horde.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    The Nerubians we kill are those taken over by the Scourge. The few remaining living ones, are not hostile to us.

We can't be sure how friendly the Nerubian empire was at its height. But they were cultured and practiced magic. I believe Malygos is even hinted to have spent time among them in insectoid shape. Still, neutral refugees isn't enough to assume they were friendly before. The Klaxxi for one may have been accepting of our aid when they faced a greater threat, but they were undoubtedly evil. It were the Klaxxi priests that kept the Mantid people to worship of the Old Gods, controlled and replaced queens, and kept their people to their military cycle of invasions.

I'd love an insectoid race on our side though. Possibly as new race. A void-based expansion sounds like a great time for it too.
    After all, the Aqir used to be a slave race to the Faceless. What if there is still a colony deep beneath the earth, now forced to the surface due to N'Zoth's growing tendrils and influence beneath the earth? Sounds like a perfect candidate of displaced people to seek refuge with the Horde.
    I don't currently play, but I would potentially come back for an insectoid playable race.

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm honest it kind of annoys me there's not a single fully benevolent or at least friendly insectoid race. Kind of shows our attitudes toward the real life counterparts. For shame Blizz, for shame...

I don't currently play, but I would potentially come back for an insectoid playable race.

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm honest it kind of annoys me there's not a single fully benevolent or at least friendly insectoid race. Kind of shows our attitudes toward the real life counterparts. For shame Blizz, for shame...
    I'm with you, friendly insectoids would be interesting. I can see where blizzard is coming from though, my gf has a phobia of moths and wasps for example and would be pretty much unable to play if she had to do anything other than quickly killing them in the game. (ex: having one hanging out in stormwind's bank, giving her the time to take a detailed look at them).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I'm with you, friendly insectoids would be interesting. I can see where blizzard is coming from though, my gf has a phobia of moths and wasps for example and would be pretty much unable to play if she had to do anything other than quickly killing them in the game. (ex: having one hanging out in stormwind's bank, giving her the time to take a detailed look at them).
    Yeah that's understandable. Although I'm interested in insects, I have an innate fear (it's not fear, but something else) of spiders. I don't mind them in game though. It's just a shame for people interested in entomology or even just the broader study of terrestrial arthropods as a whole that we can't have a nice relevant race to read about and interact with. Because I was into RP when I played I honestly like the idea of pledging allegiance to such a race and maybe even trying to make a fitting transmog set to pretend to be one of them. I saw a few creative sets mimicking some races on Argent Dawn EU before. I'm just the sort of person to latch on to a specific race and champion them haha...

I've always thought insectoids and other critters, even the no sentient ones, should have a slightly bigger role in WoW. I remember thinking it'd be cool to have a race of those moths in Azuremyst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are the Sporeggar invertebrates?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I assume they are vertebrates, back boned animals based on a theme of fungi. They're sort of like a cross between a human, an amphibian and sort of a cephalopod (mostly because of their large heads) to me. Mostly they are just... "mushroom men" according to WoWWiki.

Edit: Just for future reference, invertebrates are anything without a backbone. Think of millipedes, centipedes, crustaceans, all of the insects.
    Last edited by mmoc37b524a896; 2017-08-02 at 04:31 PM.

As soon as a race is sentient the distinction of "all good" or "all evil" usually goes out the window. We kill plenty of all other playable races in all sorts of places.

Deleted
    The only good bug is a Dead Bug!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Nah, they are mushroom people like toad. They are probably boneless too.