Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why must people debate creation theory all the time

The reality is that none of them make any more sense than the other, none are unbelievable, none are plausible, none serve to verify the existence of a thing we've convinced ourselves our entire lives to believe in.

Regardless of your faith, logic, ability to analyze or think critically, there remains a single unifying fact among all life on the planet and perhaps the universe: we don't know, and probably never will. Do you want to be indulged in the secret to happiness, inner zen and tranquility with your logical and spiritual side? Repeat to yourself "I don't know the unknown, and that's okay". No scientist knows, no magical entity or divine spirit resides within reality who will teach us.

You need to accept that seeking non-existent answers to the same question billions of people ponder every day will only drive you frustrated and hopeless. All of us, regardless of our beliefs or where we come from, are heading towards the same inevitability, there is no point in questioning it or debating it.

Find peace and happiness in knowing we are all equally as clueless as the next, and you may as well be living in a simulation where nothing truly matters when the end result is always the same. You'll find relationships easier, anthropology easier to comprehend, and your charisma will hugely improve.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    For many, ignorance is a value that is embraced.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    Solipsism is nice and all but it really is just philosophical navel gazing. It doesn't accomplish anything useful; whereas, searching for the answers to fundamentally unknowable questions -has- broadened our understanding of how the cosmos works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    My charisma seems to be doing just fine without having to get rid of my curiosity regarding the unknown ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

"I don't know" is an infinitely superior answer to "magic did it." That's why people debate creation. And simply assuming that we'll never learn something is incredibly stupid.

I'll be honest, that's quite a toxic view to have... Casting a wide sweeping generalization of the scientific field as well as some large baseless assumptions on top of acting as though you speak for how everyone should feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    The reality is that none of them make any more sense than the other, none are unbelievable, none are plausible, none serve to verify the existence of a thing we've convinced ourselves our entire lives to believe in.

Regardless of your faith, logic, ability to analyze or think critically, there remains a single unifying fact among all life on the planet and perhaps the universe: we don't know, and probably never will. Do you want to be indulged in the secret to happiness, inner zen and tranquility with your logical and spiritual side? Repeat to yourself "I don't know the unknown, and that's okay". No scientist knows, no magical entity or divine spirit resides within reality who will teach us.

You need to accept that seeking non-existent answers to the same question billions of people ponder every day will only drive you frustrated and hopeless. All of us, regardless of our beliefs or where we come from, are heading towards the same inevitability, there is no point in questioning it or debating it.

Find peace and happiness in knowing we are all equally as clueless as the next, and you may as well be living in a simulation where nothing truly matters when the end result is always the same. You'll find relationships easier, anthropology easier to comprehend, and your charisma will hugely improve.
    From a purely psychological viewpoint trying to learn the origins of life and such could be seen as irrelevant. However, the pursuit of such knowledge has given us countless technologies and understanding that benefits us in everyday life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Faith and ignorance walk hand in hand
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one would care but for the fact that Republicans want to force teaching their religious doctrine along side the theories of the big bang and evolution to children...

Those two theories may be entirely wrong, as you say, we don't know, but they are our best guess at this point and there is a plethora of evidence supporting them.

Conversely there is no evidence at all supporting religious creationism... In fact there is a ton of evidence that disproves almost everything about creationism, but that evidence is hand waved away as "God testing our faith" or "Satan deceiving us"... Both of which are utterly absurd.

Something to pass the time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I'll be honest, that's quite a toxic view to have... Casting a wide sweeping generalization of the scientific field as well as some large baseless assumptions on top of acting as though you speak for how everyone should feel.
    I'm not saying science is a pointless endeavor. Understanding how the world works around us is human ingenuity and curiousity at work.
    What I'm saying is debating creation, arguing with people of opposing abstract viewpoints is pointless and the wrong path towards being a happy person. The Big Bang, gods and monsters, celestial forces and whatever other mystical explanation for how we came to be and where we're going are things we will not ever understand. I don't believe any advancement of science or theory will be capable of it. While I can't argue the fact that in pursuit of that answer we've discovered amazing things; these things are coincidental, or side discoveries.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    No one would care but for the fact that Republicans want to force teaching their religious doctrine along side the theories of the big bang and evolution to children...

Those two theories may be entirely wrong, as you say, we don't know, but they are our best guess at this point and there is a plethora of evidence supporting them.

Conversely there is no evidence at all supporting religious creationism... In fact there is a ton of evidence that disproves almost everything about creationism, but that evidence is hand waved away as "God testing our faith" or "Satan deceiving us"... Both of which are utterly absurd.
    Faith, logic and reason are balancing acts.

Religious threads not allowed... Closed
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Religious threads not allowed... Closed
    Nothing religious about it. It's more to do with psychology

Deleted

The problem isn't belief in itself. The problem is that belief informs action, and action has consequences in the real world. That's why we need to debate the origin of life, the universe and whatever else, so we can put silly superstition and misinformation to bed. The world cannot afford to have bronze age ideology combined with 21st century technology.

The Big Bang, gods and monsters, celestial forces and whatever other mystical explanation for how we came to be and where we're going are things we will not ever understand. I don't believe any advancement of science or theory will be capable of it.
    This makes you seem incredibly narrow minded.
    Just because your puny little mind can't understand it, doesn't mean that a person that's way smarter than you can't come along and figure everything out.
    I've no idea what to write here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because claiming the world is only 2000 years old is simply wrong and teaching children this simply installs ignorance in them.

You would want critical thinkers that are educated in each new generation not kids that are afraid that god might smite them if they do not listen what the man in front of the church claims is right.

Deleted
    none are unbelievable
    Well, I mean, all creation myths are unbelievable. What's even more unbelievable is that billions of people on this planet still, to this day, manage to believe in one or more of those unbelievable myths.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-08-02 at 08:22 PM.

Why must Americans debate creation theory all the time
    Fixed.
    Like many things (healthcare, climate change, metric system...), the whole civilized world has moved long past these issues, and there is only one first world country which is still living in medieval times and in which these debates are actually still relevant.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Except that your thesis is incorrect. We can know through science. We can't know through religion, because those are just stories from a past belief system. I'm a little concerned that you don't know the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Fixed.
    Like many things (healthcare, climate change, metric system...), the whole civilized world has moved long past these issues, and there is only one first world country which is still living in medieval times and in which these debates are actually still relevant.
    That is equally true and depressing.