View Poll Results: How do you feel about this?

Voters
101. This poll is closed
  • Agree with the doctor. We should not be encouraging this.

55 54.46%
  • Disagree. It's a market segment we should cater to.

44 43.56%
  • Not sure. I trust the government to make the best decision.

2 1.98%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you get rid of above-average sized models are you also going to get rid of below-average sized models?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    If you get rid of above-average sized models are you also going to get rid of below-average sized models?
    models by definition are not supposed to be average

They are supposed to be better looking than you
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

I agree, we should not be promoting unhealthy body images.

Like, for example, that oversexed underfed PS-retouched insanity that is the entire modelling industry. But I guess Dr. Fair doesn't have a problem with THAT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    I dont know if anyone actually read the article before they came in here and screamed "FAT SHAMING."

She said that using any unhealthy lifestyle, whether that be starved models who weigh nothing or overweight women, is a poor message to send to people. The title is clickbait trying to induce fat shaming, but the contents of the article aren't.

Also, I am fat. So don't even come at me.
    They shouldn't use click-bait if they want their message taken seriously. It's akin to shooting yourself in the foot.

Also, it's Tennisface. If he so much as mentions body weight, someone says something about fat shaming. Cause and effect, every time.

wrote one women.
    I found this typo to be the most amusing part of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    Why does Tennis hate obesity so much?
    I've wondered this too. I like to think it was some sort of horrific incident. Maybe he was teabagged by a very large, very hairy man on a very hot day. Or maybe his dad was obese and lorded his man boobs over little Tenny and teased him for not having tits of his own.

Don't spoil it, Tenn. The fun is in the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What would be a less biased poll exactly?
    Because discrimination by law is fucking disgusting. It's not because there's a market to cater to. Same reason why freedom of religion exists, seperation of chruch and state, etc.

Same reason why anorexic models shouldn't be outlawed. Same reason why X subset or demographic should never be forbidden by law. Can't believe I'm saying it, not even extremist groups.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I agree, we should not be promoting unhealthy body images.

Like, for example, that oversexed underfed PS-retouched insanity that is the entire modelling industry. But I guess Dr. Fair doesn't have a problem with THAT.
    So we should outlaw underweight models as well? Plenty of those around, and nobody bats an eye. Anorexia is extremely unhealthy too.

https://startsat60.com/health/calls-...s-to-be-banned

The top doctor makes a good point. What is the value of plus size models exactly? Isn't it just normalizing obesity? Is that what we want?
    What's the value of severely underweight models? Isn't just normalizing unhealthily low body weights and/or anorexia? Is that what you want?

If this doctor is sincere in his criticism of plus size models, shouldn't he have criticized overweight father figures appearing on television for the last three decades? Or overweight male characters in shows with all fit or unhealthily thin women? The critique of the modeling industry seems patently disingenuous with such a history of public male characters showing an 'unhealthy' body type.

If a brand wants to market towards plus-sized people, then it makes perfect sense for them to use more heavy-set models. I have yet to see a plus-size model looking like Mama June did back in the days...

And fuck the idea of banning a certain look because it might offend someone such as yourself, Tennisface.

fat models are disgusting, but so are anorexic ones. The model industry should cover average size women who aren't fat but aren't thin enough to show their ribs.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not how it works.

There are a lot of reasons why people are fat. One that is fairly predominant is fear.

You ban obese people, you literally crank up the fear of these people.

Obesity is a problem that urgently needs to be tackled - should've been yesterday, in fact - but this is not the answer. Not the answer at all.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Tenn why do you hate fat people so much?

Honestly, there are no models, thin or fat who do positive things for women in general. Unrealtistic expectations, eating disorders, ruining your body with plastic surgery or being overweight or underweight.

It's a perverse industry.
    Last edited by Xandrigity; 2017-08-03 at 01:13 AM.

Deleted
    I didn't read the article, just the title, but if you ban plus-size models because of health issues, you can ban skinny ones as well.

I know people think only being overweight is a problem, but they clearly never knew anyone with anorexia in real life. That is a lot more dangerous than being overweight, ask any real doctor. I personally knew a girl that died at the age of 27 to it, she was fighting it since highschool and the way she looked was really horrible.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    That's not how it works.

There are a lot of reasons why people are fat. One that is fairly predominant is fear.

You ban obese people, you literally crank up the fear of these people.

Obesity is a problem that urgently needs to be tackled - should've been yesterday, in fact - but this is not the answer. Not the answer at all.
    Whilst Landwhales continue to harass thin/fit Women by calling them unrealistic, I will continue to have zero sympathy for their self-victimisation.

https://startsat60.com/health/calls-...s-to-be-banned

The top doctor makes a good point. What is the value of plus size models exactly? Isn't it just normalizing obesity? Is that what we want?
    They sell clothes to plus size people thus making the clothing maker money......the same value as the skin stretched over bone looking models.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

I disagree for the soul purpose of triggering Tennisbait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we fire the ones with eating disorders that make them puke up everything they eat too? They're more guilty of promoting an unhealthy image than the large ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    Why does Tennis hate obesity so much?
    My best guess is he's morbidly obese IRL.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can use whichever models they want, so long as there aren't slogans plastered alongside them that gives misinformation on health and eating unhealthy foods. Also there is a huge different between "plus-sized" and being morbidly obese.

It's really no different than cigarettes. Ads used to (and sometimes still do) show the "spirit of adventure" and all this exciting hogwash tied to someone smoking a cigarette or having alcohol with a tiny warning at the end about the health problems.

Using a plus sized model as far as clothing ads go doesn't fall under glorification for me. If it was something such as say the Victoria's Secret annual fashion show then yeah that's completely and utterly glorifying anorexic levels of weight by showing it as hot and glamorous, with underwear thrown in as a second thought. On the other end of the spectrum we have "My fat fabulous life" or some other rubbish reality television show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Whilst Landwhales continue to harass thin/fit Women by calling them unrealistic, I will continue to have zero sympathy for their self-victimisation.
    To date I have never seen someone overweight call out thin women irl, not a single one.
    Last edited by Dr Assbandit; 2017-08-03 at 01:15 AM.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)