Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Diet Soda is bad, M'kay.

http://www.healthline.com/health-new...e-weight-gain#

HEALTHLINE NEWS
    Artificial Sweeteners May Actually Cause You to Gain Weight
    Written by Elizabeth Pratt on July 20, 2017
    Fact Checked
    Researchers say the sugar substitutes added to foods and drinks can lead to long-term weight gain as well as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.

artificial sweeteners health effects
    If you think switching to artificial sweeteners will help with weight loss, you may want to put down that diet soda for a moment.

A new meta-analysis published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal found that artificial sweeteners may be associated with an increased risk of obesity, long-term weight gain, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Artificial sweeteners include stevia, sucralose, and aspartame.

Researchers from the University of Manitoba reviewed 37 studies involving 400,000 people for an average of 10 years.

Seven of these studies were randomized controlled trials that followed 1,003 people for an average of six months.

Researchers said the seven trials failed to show a consistent link between artificial sweeteners and weight loss. The longer-term studies actually showed a higher risk of health problems.

“Most people consuming artificial sweeteners do so assuming these products will help them avoid weight gain, diabetes, and heart disease. Yet we are seeing the opposite association from multiple studies,” Meghan Azad, PhD, told Healthline. Azad is the lead author of the study and an assistant professor at the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Manitoba.

“Based on all of the research done so far, there’s no clear evidence for a long-term benefit (of using artificial sweeteners). But there is evidence of potential harm from the long-term consumption of artificial sweeteners,” she said.

Too much sugar
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people in the United States consume too much added sugar.

These are sugars that are added to foods and beverages when they’re processed or prepared. Naturally occurring sugars in fruit or milk are not considered added sugars.

Both the CDC and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommend people should keep their sugar intake to less than 10 percent of their total daily calories.

For a 2,000-calorie diet, for example, only 200 calories should come from added sugars.

“The Dietary Guidelines for Americans and USDA MyPlate recommend people choose and prepare foods and beverages with little added sugars or caloric sweeteners,” Lauri Wright, PhD, assistant professor in public health at the University of South Florida, told Healthline.

“In excess, sugar can contribute to nutritional deficiencies by supplying calories without providing vitamins and minerals. Excess sugar can also cause tooth decay and contribute to obesity, heart disease, and poor control of diabetes. Additionally, sugar causes inflammation, which worsens arthritis and is bad for blood vessels,” she said.

Be aware of the consequences
    Azad said it’s important that consumers are aware of the risks of both sugar and artificial sweetener consumption.

“Sugar is receiving a lot of attention lately as a major cause of these conditions. It’s important to study ‘sugar substitutes’ in parallel, to understand their impact on the same conditions. If we don’t do this, consumers may (understandably) assume that artificial sweeteners are a healthy choice — but this may not be true. Reducing consumption of sugar and artificially sweetened products in general is likely a good strategy,” she said.

Azad added that more research is needed to understand the long-term health impact of artificial sweeteners.

“This is especially important given the widespread and increasing consumption of artificial sweeteners in the general population, and the increasing use of artificial sweeteners in our food supply. Over 40 percent of adult Americans consume NNS (non-nutritive sweeteners) on a daily basis,” she said.

Artificial sweeteners are everywhere
    Azad noted that studies have also found that some people are exposed to artificial sweeteners without even realizing it.

Blood and urine samples taken from people who reported not consuming artificial sweeteners still found traces of the product.

“This should inspire consumers to think about whether they want to be consuming artificial sweeteners, especially on a regular basis. We don’t know if they’re a truly harmless alternative to sugar,” Azad said.

So which is the better option for weight loss? Artificial sweeteners or regular sugars?

Wright says it’s not as simple as switching from one product to another.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Weight loss is very complicated. It’s not realistic to think that sugar substitutes alone will result in significant weight loss,” she said.

She advises that those who want to lose weight should work with a registered dietician. A dietician can help identify lifestyle changes that need to be made and develop strategies to support those changes.

“Switching to sugar substitutes may be one strategy, but alone it will probably not have as great an impact,” she said.

To think this didn't make headlines. I wondrr why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Who thinks drinking diet soda will help you lose weight?

Irrelevant. Still delicious.

Unless I'm missing something, they're not drawing any kind of direct link from artificial sugars to those health problems. If people over a period of time gained weight or developed other issues it was because they ate too much and made poor food choices on top of consuming artificial sugars.

The title of this thread might as well been, "Water is bad, M'kay." Because I'm fairly certain all of those people had something else in common: exposure to water.

How is this new news? We knew this a long time ago.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faolain View Post
    Irrelevant. Still delicious.
    DElicious? Diet sodas are disgusting. They're rancid.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Wow there IS a Trump tweet for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

It's because of high amounts of dihydrogen monoxide in the drink
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post

This must be one o those rare moments Trump said anything I agreed with.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

If I drank the same amount of regular soda that I do diet, it'd be something in the ballpark of ~1500 calories/day. Appetite is such an individual effect that it's hard to apply anecdotes meaningfully, but I'm pretty skeptical of the claims that it increases appetite sharply - I think the more likely effect is a form of moral licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    This must be one o those rare moments Trump said anything I agreed with.
    While true, it just made me wonder if he drinks diet coke...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's because of high amounts of dihydrogen monoxide in the drink
    Oh you!
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew this one guy, was fucking HUGE, like easily 500lbs+ who would drink NOTHING but diet soda.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If I drank the same amount of regular soda that I do diet, it'd be something in the ballpark of ~1500 calories/day. Appetite is such an individual effect that it's hard to apply anecdotes meaningfully, but I'm pretty skeptical of the claims that it increases appetite sharply - I think the more likely effect is a form of moral licensing.
    Just have a cigarette with it to suppress the appetite gain.

It's better than sugary soda. However, give up both and drink water.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I knew this one guy, was fucking HUGE, like easily 500lbs+ who would drink NOTHING but diet soda.
    He probably has a lot more bad habits than just drinking diet soda...

I lost 40 pounds while drinking diet root beer (About 1 can a day). I ran 20 miles per week, never consumed caffeine, and ate roughly 1800~ calories per day. In my experience, diet soda didn't hurt me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    I lost 40 pounds while drinking diet root beer. I ran 20 miles per week, never consumed caffeine, and ate roughly 1800~ calories per day. In my experience, diet soda didn't hurt me.
    That's because you have a perfectly good amount of calorie intake for say someone around 150-160 lb but if you weighed more than that and were running 20 miles per week then your body was constantly in a calorie deficit, hence the weight loss.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Who thinks drinking diet soda will help you lose weight?
    Well, you look at a can of soda. See it has ~200 calories in the can. Then look at a diet soda that has 0 calories. You think you can get the refreshment without any bad stuff coming along.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    While true, it just made me wonder if he drinks diet coke...
    I've seen Mr Burn fat cheeto, he isn't drinking diet coke or diet anything else either.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis