Poll: are museums important

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are museums important?

Do you think that museums are important to society? Or do you think there are other ways that we can remember the past?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Of course they are. They offer physical reminders of the past.

I mean, where else are you going to store priceless historical artifacts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Just places to display the stolen artwork of oppressed people by the white man.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course they are. They're a great place to learn about a large variety of things with hands-on experience and a direct connection you can't get through a computer screen.

I always make it a point to visit the Shedd, Adler, Field, and Science & Industry a few times a year, every year, here in Chicago. There are hundreds of other smaller museums all around the city to go to, as well.

i'm thinking they'll be less important the further we go into the future. and it's probably a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Of course they are. They're a great place to learn about a large variety of things with hands-on experience and a direct connection you can't get through a computer screen.

I always make it a point to visit the Shedd, Adler, Field, and Science & Industry a few times a year, every year, here in Chicago. There are hundreds of other smaller museums all around the city to go to, as well.
    There's also the "Bodies" museum and traveling exhibit that's just amazing.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

NO SIR, THERE ARE NO OTHER WAYS WE CAN REMEMBER THE PAST, ABSOLUTELY NOT. Also as you pointed out, museums are in direct competition with history classes and books on the topic so you must chose one or the other, no exceptions!

Next time you post a topic, perhaps read through it and think about it for 15 sec before hitting that post button.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, since some people actually believe this. So I'll respond assuming that it's serious.

But artifacts staying in their proper locations have a nasty habit of being destroyed by local ideologues. For example, IS has been destroying ancient sites, and during Mao's Cultural Revolution, the Red Guard destroyed centuries of history.

Furthermore, if artifacts are going to be stolen by locals anyway, better they sit in a museum than in the hands of rich collectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    If not for the white man and his archaeology expertise, most of that "stolen artwork" would still be lying forgotten under the soil, or have long ago been destroyed by the locals beyond recovery. You should thank the white man for digging up and preserving even the little that's left.

Personally I'm not even interested about stuff like African fertility symbols or witch doctor masks; let them have them back if they want to, and see how much they truly value their own cultural history.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, since some people actually believe this. So I'll respond assuming that it's serious.

But artifacts staying in their proper locations have a nasty habit of being destroyed by local ideologues. For example, IS has been destroying ancient sites, and during Mao's Cultural Revolution, the Red Guard destroyed centuries of history.

Furthermore, if artifacts are going to be stolen by locals anyway, better they sit in a museum than in the hands of rich collectors.
    Oh great library of alexandria what treasures you might had hold for us.

Washington D.C. is my favorite vacation spot because of the awesome museums

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do you think that museums are important to society? Or do you think there are other ways that we can remember the past?
    Art, no..
    Nature/science/history, very much so..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

I had this HUGE long winded snarky reply written up until I realized the title didn't say "muslims" =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Museums are the best way to preserve physical history whilst keeping it open to all. So yes, no matter how much some people might hate history.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    i'm thinking they'll be less important the further we go into the future. and it's probably a good thing.
    Why would it be a good thing? Sure, we can make virtual museums, but there's one important feature about physical objects: they are much harder to forge.

Quite a few people would just love to rewrite history to support their ideological views. Preserving physical examples of our history makes that much more difficult.

OP must be trolling. In case you are not, yes. We do not NEED museums but we sure want them around as a physical reminder of our history.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Why would it be a good thing? Sure, we can make virtual museums, but there's one important feature about physical objects: they are much harder to forge.

Quite a few people would just love to rewrite history to support their ideological views. Preserving physical examples of our history makes that much more difficult.
    because there wouldn't be a bunch of people contaminating the objects... you'd have a dedicated crew replicating them while they'd be preserved safely away from people.

Deleted
    Depends. Do you like culture?

Why do these threads exist?

"ARE MU SESAMS INRPOANT?

Go write in your diary, dude. Jesus.