WoW Lore TLDR (Fansite)

I have compiled the Warcraft story into 240 events nested into 29 statements nested into 4 summaries, all of which can be toggled individually.

Here: http://wowloretldr.com

This is a work in progress still, and certain details are outdated due to the WoW: Chronicle retcon, but it still gives a very solid ground-up understanding of the Warcraft story and most of its fundamental aspects.

Here's the full FAQ: http://wowloretldr.com/faq
    Last edited by SinanDira; 2017-07-24 at 03:27 PM.

Deleted
    Demons invade, all nations unite. Done.

and retcons

Villains lose, we win.

That's it...

:/

10+ Year Old Account
    Great idea! No doubt a lot of work went into this.

There are a few things that would be better fixed on the design:

• The big footer which wastes a lot of space. Try to shrink it to a more utilitarian size.
    • Black text on white hurts the eyes as soon as it is being used on a monitor larger than a tablet. I'd recommend that you go with a color template similar to wow fan websites (Warcraft Wiki, Wowhead, etc). Having darker pages makes it easier to read - plus, it's good looking.

As for navigation, I think you'd win a lot to have one page per game. To have everything on the same page can quickly become overwhelming.

I'm not sure the forum is really useful. I think a simple news system where people can comment would be more suited for the type of website you're working on.

In any case, great work. Lots of potential here and I think that with the additional polish, you'd have an incredible opportunity. Keep it up man and good luck!
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro Tagachi View Post

and retcons
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    Villains lose, we win.

That's it...

:/
    Haha. Thank you for this amazing effort, guys. I'll definitely consider nesting everything in the main page under these statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Great idea! No doubt a lot of work went into this.

There are a few things that would be better fixed on the design:

• The big footer which wastes a lot of space. Try to shrink it to a more utilitarian size.
    • Black text on white hurts the eyes as soon as it is being used on a monitor larger than a tablet. I'd recommend that you go with a color template similar to wow fan websites (Warcraft Wiki, Wowhead, etc). Having darker pages makes it easier to read - plus, it's good looking.

As for navigation, I think you'd win a lot to have one page per game. To have everything on the same page can quickly become overwhelming.

I'm not sure the forum is really useful. I think a simple news system where people can comment would be more suited for the type of website you're working on.

In any case, great work. Lots of potential here and I think that with the additional polish, you'd have an incredible opportunity. Keep it up man and good luck!
    Thank you! I've considered what you're talking about, even if my motivations were more aesthetic. As for navigation, it's based on eras, and since a lot of people will skip pre-history, I'll most probably just nest them under one small summary (20-40 words) for each chapter, thus allowing people to skip by scrolling down.

I am very busy with exams at the moment, so these things are gonna take some time. My first priorities would probably be paraphrasing content = nesting chapter sections under one summary each > stylizing tooltips = expanding tooltip content > revamping theme > adding new sections = new functionality.

Great idea, always nice with an easy and quick run down of the lore. ^_^

I'll definitely agree on the above about the color, it can be quite straining to look at for extended periods of time.

Deleted
    Wipe, wipe, wipe, kill, loot, done.

I think this is a really good idea.

Any plans on allowing people to suggest translations for different languages? Perhaps a line by line system?

That way you'd get tons of suggestions on how to phrase each event, so that you can show the shortest, most descriptive one.

I also like that pictures and descriptions appear when hovering over key words, since there will eventually be a lot of names for places, races and characters.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2017-06-30 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I think this is a really good idea.

Any plans on allowing people to suggest translations for different languages? Perhaps a line by line system?

That way you'd get tons of suggestions on how to phrase each event, so that you can show the shortest, most descriptive one.

I also like that pictures and descriptions appear when hovering over key words, since there will eventually be a lot of names for places, races and characters.
    Thank you! I've definitely thought of the idea, but I find its implementation to be of questionable difficulty given the website's nested structure. If it doesn't happen soon, then it'll be on the consideration list.

The website has been updated to have three nesting levels, more finished tooltip content, and the theme was revamped.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro Tagachi View Post

and retcons
    Green and purple = bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Green and purple = bad.
    Red vs Blue = Headache

Deleted
    Since the initative and the concept are commendable, I'll break down my opinions into sections.

The Concept
    Unique and praiseworthy, hereto lies a pressing need of clarification and disposition of the warcraft lore within the community, to grasp what have been going on in the somewhat disperse lore.
    Furthermore is the concept inherently valued in terms of execution and information being readily accessible. In other words, it is required of you to satisfactory meet the demands, residing within the community bearing to lore.

Implementation of the Concept
    The concept have been implemented, in respect to the resources which you currently preside to organize and present the information, it have been most successfully done. However, it remains a lot to be done. Thus, you might want to research how other successful websites with semblance of presenting large ammounts of information in a readily and accessible manner; bearing in mind your faculties, such as the scope of time and graphical competence, you have available to improve and polish the website, with the hazardous risk of other websites stealing your concept if you fail to occupy the area of interest and demands from people whom you cater with your concept. These websites have reached success by research, their design constitutes empirical facts in regard to graphical presentation, thus you can save a lot of time by using their presentation. Otherwise, you can take a risk by trying something unique; the higher the risk the higher the reward, however, it seems as if your graphical competence might be your weakest point, in an otherwise flawless and ingenious concept.

Graphical Display
    As mentioned above, I think this is the area, which I presuppose you make it or break it. You have already done an astounding job of concieving and implementating the idea, by delineating the widespread lore in a precise and narrow manner. The most favourable graphical display, can not bring forth a conclusive and valid answer, from a limited research being conducted on MMO-champion. Nonetheless, it would be wise of you conducting a poll on your website or at this website, in respect to the financial cost and effective value from such poll.

Personal Opinion
    I feels as if the website is somewhat clumsy, since the fonts are large and me having to navigate through something, which is uncertain due to the fact of me being a first time visitor. The more familiar I got with the content, the better and less clumsy it began to feel, to navigate around. Therefor, one might say it is a great graphical design in terms of creativity and contrivance, which is somewhat complicated at first, which gets smoother afterwards and feels even more rewarding because of the uniqueness.
    If you would give advice on how to navigate on your website to first comers, you will mitigate the issue mentioned; you explicitly expained this. However, could it be done in another and more effecient way? I.E. the information adressing the navigation issue, being in another font or different placement on the site or in line with: "Scroll down to access lore information in four sections below. Click to expand information"
    Finally you could try to smoothen out the edges amongst the sections to make the transition feel smoother.

Thanks for the pleasure and enjoyment being provided by your website.

15+ Year Old Account
    Server not found???

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Server not found???
    Due to server migration. Should return in less than a day.

Edit: It returned already.
    Last edited by SinanDira; 2017-07-23 at 09:38 PM.

Dude this webpage is awesome. But what is "could&rsquo've been saved." The paragraph is;

In his fury, Sargeras struck the corrupted World Soul with his enormous sword, utterly obliterating it. However, when he met with the Pantheon, he was met by disagreement and disgrace; they all insisted that the World Soul could&rsquo've been saved. When he failed to convince them about the Void’s impending danger, he was disappointed, and walked away.

A little typo? It is "could have been saved" I think.
    Also the Imbued by titan part is too bright blue and white. It is too difficult too read. Or It might be just my computer but take a look if you can. I will be reading this very very slowly. Thank you.
    Last edited by Gref; 2017-07-24 at 05:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    Dude this webpage is awesome. But what is "could&rsquo've been saved." The paragraph is;

In his fury, Sargeras struck the corrupted World Soul with his enormous sword, utterly obliterating it. However, when he met with the Pantheon, he was met by disagreement and disgrace; they all insisted that the World Soul could&rsquo've been saved. When he failed to convince them about the Void’s impending danger, he was disappointed, and walked away.

Also the Imbued by titan part is too bright blue and white. It is too difficult too read. Or It might be just my computer but take a look if you can. I will be reading this very very slowly. Thank you.
    It's a bit of unhandled HTML translation on the page. "&rsquo" is the HTML code that stands for a closed single quotation mark or an apostrophe - probably a copy/paste error from the original source of the text in this case.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Ametaphysics View Post
    Since the initative and the concept are commendable, I'll break down my opinions into sections.

The Concept
    Unique and praiseworthy, hereto lies a pressing need of clarification and disposition of the warcraft lore within the community, to grasp what have been going on in the somewhat disperse lore.
    Furthermore is the concept inherently valued in terms of execution and information being readily accessible. In other words, it is required of you to satisfactory meet the demands, residing within the community bearing to lore.

Implementation of the Concept
    The concept have been implemented, in respect to the resources which you currently preside to organize and present the information, it have been most successfully done. However, it remains a lot to be done. Thus, you might want to research how other successful websites with semblance of presenting large ammounts of information in a readily and accessible manner; bearing in mind your faculties, such as the scope of time and graphical competence, you have available to improve and polish the website, with the hazardous risk of other websites stealing your concept if you fail to occupy the area of interest and demands from people whom you cater with your concept. These websites have reached success by research, their design constitutes empirical facts in regard to graphical presentation, thus you can save a lot of time by using their presentation. Otherwise, you can take a risk by trying something unique; the higher the risk the higher the reward, however, it seems as if your graphical competence might be your weakest point, in an otherwise flawless and ingenious concept.

Graphical Display
    As mentioned above, I think this is the area, which I presuppose you make it or break it. You have already done an astounding job of concieving and implementating the idea, by delineating the widespread lore in a precise and narrow manner. The most favourable graphical display, can not bring forth a conclusive and valid answer, from a limited research being conducted on MMO-champion. Nonetheless, it would be wise of you conducting a poll on your website or at this website, in respect to the financial cost and effective value from such poll.

Personal Opinion
    I feels as if the website is somewhat clumsy, since the fonts are large and me having to navigate through something, which is uncertain due to the fact of me being a first time visitor. The more familiar I got with the content, the better and less clumsy it began to feel, to navigate around. Therefor, one might say it is a great graphical design in terms of creativity and contrivance, which is somewhat complicated at first, which gets smoother afterwards and feels even more rewarding because of the uniqueness.
    If you would give advice on how to navigate on your website to first comers, you will mitigate the issue mentioned; you explicitly expained this. However, could it be done in another and more effecient way? I.E. the information adressing the navigation issue, being in another font or different placement on the site or in line with: "Scroll down to access lore information in four sections below. Click to expand information"
    Finally you could try to smoothen out the edges amongst the sections to make the transition feel smoother.

Thanks for the pleasure and enjoyment being provided by your website.
    Thank you for this informative review! I have read it since the start, but wanted to digest it over several sessions. To be honest with you, I'm still confused over your comments on the graphical design. As for the clumsiness resulting from font sizes, it's a really good comment and I have been thinking of ways to improve it. As for the main course, the website layout, it is currently in its final structure. However, you're right that perhaps I should give clearer clues to the viewers. Perhaps I can make a tutorial like you proposed. Will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post

Thank you for the report. The issue you saw with the colors was because I had just just changed the background color, but not the tables' colors yet. The symbols you saw are also like Aucald said, an HTML notation that was not processed.

Aside from small fixes, the first version of the timeline filtering panel has been released. Enjoy!
    Last edited by SinanDira; 2017-08-06 at 11:53 AM.