Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Even Legion itself has so many open ends that don't seem directly adressed in 7.3.

Sylvanas or Odyn for example.

They aren't gonna run out of any lore in the next years. Even without Retconning.
    Lol? Sideplot doesnt carry an expansion

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Lol? Sideplot doesnt carry an expansion
    We still got Jaina / Voidlords / Old Gods / Naga and whatnot too, just not officially adressed in the game, other then hints/whispers and whatnot.

Of course we see each expansion get new content written, and it should be, but even so, we know things like kultiras/telabim/nyalotha/azshara/nazjatar from existing lore, even if it's not shown in game, it's not a direct retcon yet until we see it drasticly changed.

Void lords is slightly different as it's been the least documented and fairly recent "big bad" hinted at, which makes sense with how Sargeras/Pantheon is more explained in 7.3.

I mentioned Sylvanas or Odyn as those are pretty much questlines that simply are open-ended without much further explanation.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-08-08 at 12:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    WOTLK storyline and lore was alot better than MOP/WOD/Legion ones.

Even when it comes to leveling quest chains and story in them
    I hope you're joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Also if you want to talk about infinite lore possibilities, then I've got three words for you.

Caverns of Time.

It's very feasible to come up with a concept that involves the Infinite Dragonflight fucking shit up and creating rips in the timeline that leads to weird alternate realities.

You can create a bunch of dungeons and raids based on "what if?" scenarios.
    Please no. Storywriting cheapshots of the worst kind. CoT made for mildly entertaining 5-man dungeons of the "Cool shit I want to experience ingame" kind, but rather lazy raids and a disappointing expansion.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

7+ Year Old Account
    I just wish they could build up the new lore rather than just throwing it at us. While I don't think the Void Lords are nothing special, I guess I would've appreciated them more if there was more buildup to them in specific.

So, yeah, if there's no buildup and they throw this HUUUUGE IMPORTANT... THINGIE at us - it just feels like they are coming up with stuff on the spot. Sometimes it can work though if it becomes a good shocking moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    Wotlk storyline was "alot better" because it started in WC3.
    tbh That is actually exactly why, and it is not due to nostalgia.

It's simply because WC3 was an RTS, where you can tell a story that involves heavy focus on one character and world shattering events of real consequence.

If they tried to tell the WC3 story via WoW....well, for example:

There would be no Undercity. Because Lordaeron would have been an Alliance capital city, can't take that away from players. So Arthas' ultimate betrayal would never leave the fringes of the world and he would have just been another threat for players to kill

Without the fall of Lordaeron, there's really no Forsaken faction

The Blood Elfs would still be High Elf Alliance characters. Because you can't suddenly remove a race from players and give it to the other faction

Night Elfs, Tauren, and all of Kalimdor are now an expansion. Oh and the Druid class too.

whatever else you can think of.

But the problem with WoW storytelling is everything that CAN change is on the fringes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    We still got Jaina / Voidlords / Old Gods / Naga and whatnot too, just not officially adressed in the game, other then hints/whispers and whatnot.

Of course we see each expansion get new content written, and it should be, but even so, we know things like kultiras/telabim/nyalotha/azshara/nazjatar from existing lore, even if it's not shown in game, it's not a direct retcon yet until we see it drasticly changed.

Void lords is slightly different as it's been the least documented and fairly recent "big bad" hinted at, which makes sense with how Sargeras/Pantheon is more explained in 7.3.

I mentioned Sylvanas or Odyn as those are pretty much questlines that simply are open-ended without much further explanation.
    All that could be one expac considering legion

Jaina may become the new leader of the twilight cult
    Last edited by anaxie; 2017-08-08 at 12:52 PM.

EverQuest is still going to this day and it was based on nothing.

No reason Blizzard can't keep making up new random stuff.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    All that could be one expac considering legion

Jaina may become the new leader of the twilight cult
    Sure it can be But imo dealing with void lord and azeroth at the same time seems unlikely in 1 expansion.

Of course we'll get more void lore, just not completely eliminate it right away.

I personally hope we deal with just azeroth 1 expansion, and have another expansion completely off-world again. (for 8.0 and 9.0)

10.0 could be a crazy twist on lich king / undead expansion.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-08-08 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    I just wish they could build up the new lore rather than just throwing it at us. While I don't think the Void Lords are nothing special, I guess I would've appreciated them more if there was more buildup to them in specific.

So, yeah, if there's no buildup and they throw this HUUUUGE IMPORTANT... THINGIE at us - it just feels like they are coming up with stuff on the spot. Sometimes it can work though if it becomes a good shocking moment.
    What do you mean no build up? The Iron Horde had no build up, though I suppose that was kind of the point with them, they come out of nowhere from another timeline. But the void lords we haven't tackled yet. There's still even one of their old gods left to deal with.

As for the OT, yeah people sometimes underestimate blizzard's ability to throw us curve ball expansions. Things like Cataclysm, MOP and WoD were surprises. Where as expansions people were sure we'd get like emerald dream/nightmare and argus it seems won't be getting their own expansion at this point. As long as the game remains profitable enough to justify the resources put into it they'll keep making expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    EverQuest is still going to this day and it was based on nothing.

No reason Blizzard can't keep making up new random stuff.
    Everwuest is all they have and isnt indicative of anything but lofe support

Chronicle is already at warcraft 3. Its not going to do what you think

7.3 isnt a random world its Argus capital of the legion a d well known planet for most of warcraft like Draenor
    Yes, but Volume 1 and 2, pretty much straighten out everything. Why spend that time and money to rectify it if they don't mean to continue it?

It stated that Azeroth was a Titan, it wasn't known for virtually most of the franchise until now. That kind of nugget of lore wasn't dropped on the sly and not built upon, it had an impact to everything.

I didn't say that 7.3 was random did I or in fact anything. Where is that saying it's random? I'm sorry if you're unable to discern the "7.3 too" being exactly Argus and all the portals leading to other planets is part of it too. It's called being general, because there's no spoilers in here.

So please... read what's there.

I'll repeat myself. Why would a business, whose main purpose is to make money (*gasp* So incredibly evil, I thought their JOB was to make people happy!!!one1!) would stop writing lore for one of their best-selling franchise for the sake of 15 years old nostalgia?

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I'll repeat myself. Why would a business, whose main purpose is to make money (*gasp* So incredibly evil, I thought their JOB was to make people happy!!!one1!) would stop writing lore for one of their best-selling franchise for the sake of 15 years old nostalgia?
    According to some people on this topic it's over. We only have 1-2 raids and we are done and Blizzard will turn the game off because they can't create new lore.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazakov View Post
    According to some people on this topic it's over. We only have 1-2 raids and we are done and Blizzard will turn the game off because they can't create new lore.
    Blizzard: *Looks at table of wc3 content left* *sighs* Oh well guys, we are getting 105 000 000 000 less $ from now on, we are pulling the plug on wow

Many people would be losing their jobs, no one is doing this for the sake of established lore -.-

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Because most of vilians are allready dead? And most of places in whole universe we visited actually?

Pretty much, in Azeroth the only places what remains is Kul'Tiras, Zandalar? Nazjatar, and Ny'Alotha. Beyond Azeroth void and eventually K'Aresh if is still exists?
    And what is to stop Blizzard from just expanding the lore beyond what we know is on Azeroth, the answer is nothing since WoW isn't based on source material that can't be added to.

Everwuest is all they have and isnt indicative of anything but lofe support
    They're still supporting EQ, EQ II, DC Universe, and Planetside 2.

The fact that they've continued supporting and developing, and coming up with new stories for, EverQuest after EQ II was released just further supports there's no reason to think Blizzard will just walk away when they've mined the RTS plot threads rather than coming up with new lore.

For that matter, EverQuest was still getting expansions when SOE had a plethora of other games being developed and still supported. It wasn't the only thing SOE had going for them, it wasn't even the most populated at the time. For an MMO to last longer than WoW's life time (while WoW was competing and king of the hill no less) with absolutely no pre-existing lore to pull from is evidence that WoW can continue after they've explored ever Warcraft 1-3 plot thread left.

The Secret World isn't based on past games. Loosely on Lovecraftian and other themes, but their own stories.

The point is, an MMO doesn't require previously written content to continue development. Heck, I'd actually say it offers more freedom to explore new ideas than being tied to what's already previously been set in....malleable stone (retcons, after all).
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-08-08 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    They're still supporting EQ, EQ II, DC Universe, and Planetside 2.

The fact that they've continued supporting and developing, and coming up with new stories for, EverQuest after EQ II was released just further supports there's no reason to think Blizzard will just walk away when they've mined the RTS plot threads rather than coming up with new lore.

For that matter, EverQuest was still getting expansions when SOE had a plethora of other games being developed and still supported. It wasn't the only thing SOE had going for them, it wasn't even the most populated at the time. For an MMO to last longer than WoW's life time (while WoW was competing and king of the hill no less) with absolutely no pre-existing lore to pull from is evidence that WoW can continue after they've explored ever Warcraft 1-3 plot thread left.

The Secret World isn't based on past games. Loosely on Lovecraftian and other themes, but their own stories.

The point is, an MMO doesn't require previously written content to continue development. Heck, I'd actually say it offers more freedom to explore new ideas than being tied to what's already previously been set in....malleable stone (retcons, after all).
    These games are not like WoW in the slightest. LotRO is a better comparison. WoW has a definite cast of villans its been running through since vanilla a definite set of locations and landmarks. Everyone claims WoW wont end. Legion destroying the legion and closing the book on the entire titan pantheon the pinnacle of titan lore and everything naga nzoth and void being shoveled at us in every patch especially 7.3 says otherwise. This is simply not evidece that can be shrugged off. The finale story arc is the battle between against the void. That storyline is thrust fromt and center as post legion content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    And what is to stop Blizzard from just expanding the lore beyond what we know is on Azeroth, the answer is nothing since WoW isn't based on source material that can't be added to.
    Because azeroth is the only iportant world its our world.
    And its the final titan once the pantheon helps seal sargeras
    Draenor and outland important because of dark portal linking worlds

Argus only important only because capital of legion

K'aresh important because of ethereals war against the void and the likelihood their planet is a very weak rip in reality at this point. Eveidence? Ethereal tbc story, xalatal wuotes, Ethernum turning to void on Argus and having their own dunveon nonetheless

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard: *Looks at table of wc3 content left* *sighs* Oh well guys, we are getting 105 000 000 000 less $ from now on, we are pulling the plug on wow

Many people would be losing their jobs, no one is doing this for the sake of established lore -.-
    Its not wc3. Its the ENTIRE loree till now

- - - Updated - - -

PSA

No ones talking about wc3 drying up. The ENTIRE FRANCHISE from 90s-2017 has almost every plot introduced concluded

- - - Updated - - -

Because they can develop other stuff with said resources

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    Yes, but Volume 1 and 2, pretty much straighten out everything. Why spend that time and money to rectify it if they don't mean to continue it?

It stated that Azeroth was a Titan, it wasn't known for virtually most of the franchise until now. That kind of nugget of lore wasn't dropped on the sly and not built upon, it had an impact to everything.

I didn't say that 7.3 was random did I or in fact anything. Where is that saying it's random? I'm sorry if you're unable to discern the "7.3 too" being exactly Argus and all the portals leading to other planets is part of it too. It's called being general, because there's no spoilers in here.

So please... read what's there.
    By the time chronicle vol 4 hits next expansion aka the finale will conclude. The entire history of warcraft concluded and chronicled

- - - Updated - - -

Because legion are thrusting the last 3 threats at us as post legion.

Because 2 of those threats are alliesbof the other one which is the WoW finale aka the void

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    He doesn't have a clue. He just strings together words that sound good to him. You can't discuss something with someone who has zero interest in discussing. He just replies with short replies so full of errors you can barely discern his point.

Don't waste your keystrokes on this kid. He has no clue how this stuff works. He literally said World of Warcraft's source material is World of Warcraft. XD
    Everything i have pointedout lorewise. Content wise and tease wise is factual information. Sorry you are not educated enough on WoWs global lore to dispute that.

As for source material claim. Reading comprehension. Try it

Ah come on guys, till we have killed Old God Hogger - Undead Fel Void Lord of the Burning Legion, WoW is not over.