Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    How many streaming services am I going to have to get? DC, Disney, Netflix, HBO...

I'm probably just going to not sub to any of them and pirate it all.
    This is likely the direction these streaming services are headed. That or just having digital cable, Comcast and Verizon have a ton of movies again vod through their cable/FiOS service.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Weird assumption to make all things considered. I don't know why Disney would make such a stupid move instead of simply licensing the rights.
    Yes, I think it is extremely massively unlikely that Netflix owns the distribution rights. No way. Not sure why people would think that. Because the huge awareness of Marvel's mess of having sold off rights left and right maybe? Well, they did that in the 90's in the face of bankruptcy when nobody cared about superhero movies. Disney entered their partnership with Netflix for the Marvel television series at a time where everybody knew streaming was the future and where Disney was incredibly strong. No way they would do such a bad deal in that context. Also Bob Iger has said "they haven't decided" where properties like Marvel will end up streaming, making it sound like it's entirely up to them.

Seems like this will be a very strong streaming service to me. They'll have all Disney movies, all Pixar movies, they'll have ESPN. They also said they'd be doing original content for the service, so they may well rival Netflix in that regard just that they will also have Disney, Pixar and ESPN content. Not to mention they'll have Star Wars and Marvel, if they want it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Movies and video media are beginning to take the wrong things from gaming. First it starts with a big name service (steam/netflix?) then the next biggest competitor starts up and before you know it every tom, dick and harry thinks their niche offerings are worth your 15.99USD a month. Now MAYBE it works, I wouldn't know, I'm the person who will pay for a broad service once a year until GoT is over
    Wrath baby and proud of it

While monopoly is not good, I do not want to see another streaming service. Too much of them already. Betting that implementation will suck for a while too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    One day, they will do movies the way we now do music.

Or more accurately - a way that does movies like we do music AND lets me pay the creators.

Right now - it costs $85/month in Australia to legally watch GoT in HD.
    Then another $15/month to legally watch Daredevil/Jessica Jones/Stranger Things
    Then another $15/month to legally watch American Gods
    Now another $20/month to watch some other narrow selection?

It is just stupid.
    Friend. I am paying 15 a month for game of thrones. You can get literally just the got channel..thing with the small hurdle of needing to watch it when it airs. Or after its ended, you cannot start the new episode up while its still airing if you woke up late

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    While monopoly is not good, I do not want to see another streaming service. Too much of them already. Betting that implementation will suck for a while too.
    2020 will be the year of massive piracy resurgence. After major music producers pull their stuff from all mixed services and the studios follow the disney route

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Same will be true for Disney. I appreciate that the stuff's on Netflix, and I watch it there. But if they take it out, then their payment from me as a customer is going to go from "whatever Netflix is paying them for their content" to "$0", at least on the home-streaming angle. And I'm betting I'm not alone.
    o/

Same here. I enjoyed being able to catch Moana on Netflix, but I'm not paying for a separate streaming service. It's going the direction I expected with Netflix, Hulu, now YouTube subscription (with original programs), a Disney subscription, HBO subscription, AMC subscription. I dropped cable because I didn't want to pay $100/month for television. Not about to start paying $100/month for multiple streams adding up.

I'll just continue to buy the blurays for movies I want to be able watch whenever I wish.

I still wish someone would let me pay $50ish and have access to all episodes of a seaon live or night after it airs and after the season is over, they automatically ship me the blu ray on release.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-08-09 at 08:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    itt: people not knowing just how big Disney is and the quality of service this could provide

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

So fucking stupid. Market is starting to get over saturated with all these streaming services, and exclusivity makes it even worse. I don't mind paying for one, but if I can't watch something specific on the one I pay for, I'm not subbing to a different one, I'm just pirating.

Great, another streaming service. Just what the doctor ordered!

If Disney wanted to keep printing money, they should never have shut down Disney Infinity :<
    RETH

Every company creates its own streaming service, they soon start bundling them all together to make things 'cheaper' and easier. Notice you are getting channels you don't want just to get the one you do want. Realize that cable companies have destroyed streaming and reforged it into the new cable. And then they double the price of internet in the US to handle all the streaming services because F you where else are you going to go for internet connections?

Quote Originally Posted by FragmentedFaith View Post
    Movies and video media are beginning to take the wrong things from gaming. First it starts with a big name service (steam/netflix?) then the next biggest competitor starts up and before you know it every tom, dick and harry thinks their niche offerings are worth your 15.99USD a month. Now MAYBE it works, I wouldn't know, I'm the person who will pay for a broad service once a year until GoT is over
    The difference is you don't have to pay for Origin or the BNET launcher or GOG's Galaxy client (or even Steam in the first place).

God forbid Steam takes a note from Netflix, and starts charging a monthly sub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pirates win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Feels like all TV networks are trying to build internet networks as cable TV marches slowly to its death. Ultra greedy approach seems to be how they plan on going as they hide behind big pay walls for exclusive content. I would imagine eventually packages for many will prop up and be the new "cable" where you just pay one larger bill for many but less than if you had them all individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yep. I have Netflix for the Netflix exclusives. Everything else is a bonus. Are there things I'd like to get? Sure. As much as I think it's going to be a giant turd, I'd like to see the new Star Trek (even if only to see how giant a deuce it is). It's on a different streaming service, which means I won't. Because I don't want to see it enough to pay more just for that.

Same will be true for Disney. I appreciate that the stuff's on Netflix, and I watch it there. But if they take it out, then their payment from me as a customer is going to go from "whatever Netflix is paying them for their content" to "$0", at least on the home-streaming angle. And I'm betting I'm not alone.

To add to that, they now have to worry about building and administering their own system, which before, Netflix was handling for them. This is a risk and I don't see how it's going to pay off, unless they have a lot of new content that's exclusive to their new system.
    This. These companies have to realize, we're not going to shell out $20 a month for 12 streaming sites. I like Netflix because it's one source, one destination. I have Amazon Prime streaming, and I rarely use it, and I fired HBONow because of their crappy stream quality, and having to pay each month for the same movies Amazon had the month before. I fired cable for the same reason, got tired of paying a lot of money for channels I never watched.

IF Disney brings their entire libraries online, and not just one or two of the classic animations at a time (that fake exclusivity!) and crap Disney channel reruns, they might have a shot. But they won't, because they're Disney, and that means they have their heads up their asses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Who the heck is going to pay a service exclusively for Disney films...
    Make a man starve long enough and he'll eat anything... :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Friend. I am paying 15 a month for game of thrones.
    Indeed, however I am paying far more - because the system is stupid. I won't be next year, next year I'll be paying $0.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    People would pirate them out a spite. Want to enjoy them on your TV? Get a Kodi box.
    I already enjoy them on my TV...with an HDMI cable connecting it to my computer...
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

The whole thing is gonna collapse in on itself

After all who is gonna pay for all these subs? Most people will just stick to netflix and amazon and let the others wilt away.

Steam, Origin, GOG, Battle.net, Humble etc. can easily coexists because they don't have monthly sub fees (outside of individual games). You pay once for your games, and then you can access them whenever.

All these streaming services have sub fees. Most of us don't have infinite money to pay multiple subs per month to get access to a dozen of streaming services.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Steam, Origin, GOG, Battle.net, Humble etc. can easily coexists because they don't have monthly sub fees (outside of individual games). You pay once for your games, and then you can access them whenever.

All these streaming services have sub fees. Most of us don't have infinite money to pay multiple subs per month to get access to a dozen of streaming services.
    True. My main point here is similar to everyone else. Because it worked once for the groundbreaker, and then again for a too big to fail studio-adjacent I fully expect to have to remember the names and release schedule for every big brand studio inside a few years so I know witch of the dozen odd services will offer what I want to see