Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    People who don't want to have children are huge manchildren/womanchildren themselves, unable to grow up.

But hey it's just my opinion.
    If you didn't have to go through pregnancy I'd have no problems with it. Pregnancy puts me off from it.

Deleted
    It's kind expected yeah.
    You live in some Christian village? Jesus man

It's kind expected yeah.
    Better to not grow up then

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    If you can't afford to have kids, don't have kids.
    I would agree. However, there are social forces, primarily religious, that push hard the notion that you should have kids no matter what. Just think about the war against birth control (both pills and abortion) that goes on in the US as a whole, and in many groups in other advanced economies...and having kids is simply the rule in most developing economies where birth control is rarely considered at all.

Heck, even with the commentary here, a few pull up the purely economic notion of having kids just for worker replacement. Just a gentle reminder that the true God of the US is money.

200k over 18 years makes you rich than you must really be slumming. I make nearly that much a year.

Deleted
    To each their own. It's just that I personally view people who don't want to have children as selfish.
    Selfish towards who exactly? Your unbourne children?

I too dont have kids and have no wish to have kids and i love having money and answering to noone except MMO champ replies

But seriously i just dont want kids or ever see a future of me ever having them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    How is it different from now? Please do tell. Even in YOUR country.

- - - Updated - - -

So what? What's your point?
    It's not different, but it should be.

People who are financially stable should be having kids. People who are on government benefits should not be given more money per child they can manufacture.

I've seen more people who were economically successful with kids than without. And I'm not talking about just saving money together with a spouse/significant other.

It's just that I personally view people who don't want to have children as selfish.
    I misread this the first time but that is just great.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    200k over 18 years makes you rich than you must really be slumming. I make nearly that much a year.
    16k per month?

Where the fuck can people get such salaries?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's not different, but it should be.

People who are financially stable should be having kids. People who are on government benefits should not be given more money per child they can manufacture.
    No, no, no, people who want to have kids - should be able to have them, people who don't want to have kids should be able to not have them. It has nothing to do with financial stability. But deciding to not have kids is a sound financial decision, it can be easily wasted if you then spend all your saved money, for instance, on gambling, which is not a sound financial decision.

When you're dead - nothing matters. So don't worry about the future that you are not gonna experience, "think of the future" is a lie designed to make you do things you don't want to do (same thing as religion does - "think about the afterlife").

You live only once, don't waste you life on "thinking about the future".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Selfish towards line of literally every single one of your ancestors dating back hundreds of millions of years.

Spend a moment pondering on that. Countless of generations of your ancestors put in the effort to procreate and pass on their genes.

And then there is you, who decided "Lol having children is dumb, I'd rather have expensive car. XD"
    Yeah, sucks to break that chain, but procreation is such an unlikely situation that I just don't think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    16k per month?

Where the fuck can people get such salaries?
    Go to college. My case mechanical engineer. Intern for free for 18 months to prove your not a useless ice skate though university. Start at your first firm cheap and build a portfolio. Apply to better firms. Find the one you want after trying a few. Stick around that one and bust your ass for 15 years. Apply for supervisor jobs. Then management jobs. Profit.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2017-08-10 at 11:13 AM.

Selfish towards line of literally every single one of your ancestors dating back hundreds of millions of years.

Spend a moment pondering on that. Countless of generations of your ancestors put in the effort to procreate and pass on their genes.

And then there is you, who decided "Lol having children is dumb, I'd rather have expensive car. XD"
    I agree with this, but there are people who are incapable of putting someone else first for years at a time and you end up with some truly disfunctional people when the child grows up. Life without my children would feel like a shallow existence but to each their own. Also it's not nearly expensive for me as that chart shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No, no, no, people who want to have kids - should be able to have them, people who don't want to have kids should be able to not have them. It has nothing to do with financial stability. But deciding to not have kids is a sound financial decision, it can be easily wasted if you then spend all your saved money, for instance, on gambling, which is not a sound financial decision.

When you're dead - nothing matters. So don't worry about the future that you are not gonna experience, "think of the future" is a lie designed to make you do things you don't want to do (same thing as religion does - "think about the afterlife").

You live only once, don't waste you life on "thinking about the future".
    Your mentality is extremely toxic, just because you "want" kids doesn't mean you should have them. Especially if the reason you "want" kids is nefarious (claiming more government assistance for example).

When you're dead your children matter.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your mentality is extremely toxic, just because you "want" kids doesn't mean you should have them. Especially if the reason you "want" kids is nefarious (claiming more government assistance for example).
    The only nefarious reason to have kids is if you plan to force them to work for you. having kids for money the state gives for kids - is not nefarious - it's what the state ACTUALLY AIMS FOR.
    When you're dead your children matter.
    To whom?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

People who don't want to have children are huge manchildren/womanchildren themselves, unable to grow up.

But hey it's just my opinion.
    One one hand, we have a chart with detailed information which was already pretty much a given as long as one is aware of the current economy - on the other hand we have someone just labeling a group of people as a certain insulting word, because their ideology differs from them.

Interesting turn of events!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    As this chart (from 2013, so might be even worse today) estimates, raising a child from 0-18 will cost you a small fortune. People often have multiple children, so it's just crazy expensive.

So what if you would not have children and save up the money instead? You could retire a rich man/women at a young age?
    Being wealthy is about managing your expenditure against your income. While it is true that kids are a major expense, not having them does not in any way guarantee that you won't find other foolish ways to spend your money.

Secondly without children, many successful people would simply not have a motivation to attain wealth in the first place.

TL;DR: If your plan to get rich revolves primarily around not having kids, you're unlikely to succeed.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have children in 2017 without being loaded you're braindead