Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Police remove hijab from muslim woman while in police custody

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...810-story.html

So what takes precedence? The law, or respect of religion?

“After a thorough assessment of our policy, which included reviewing the procedures used by other law enforcement agencies in the region, it was determined an amendment to our policy was necessary,” the department said in a statement to the Los Angeles Times. “The Long Beach Police Department respects the religious rights and beliefs of all people, and continues to review policy, as law enforcement is an ever-evolving profession.”

Female officers are now required to remove a female inmate’s headscarf, “when necessary for officer safety,” outside the presence of male officers and inmates, said Monte Machit, Long Beach assistant city attorney.

The headscarf is then returned to the inmate.

“In our view, the removal of the hijab by a male officer, in the presence of other males, while consistent with the then-existing Long Beach Police Department policy, may have violated the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act,” Machit said. “The 9th Circuit [Court] has not specifically weighed in on whether removing the hijab actually violated [the law], but we believed that the existing policy was not consistent with the Act.”
    The police officers didn't have any precedent/training for something like this and were following normal procedure in detainment for a normal arrest by removing any excess belongings until release. This case was sort of in a grey area, but now they specifically outlined new guidelines to follow for the future.

And this title is so clickbait. They didn't just walk up to her and "RIP" it off. Your title was clearly intended to bait.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-08-11 at 09:08 PM.

Deleted
    Hijab makes it impossible for police to do their job. It should be banned in modern countries. It belongs to backwards religious nutjob countries.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-08-11 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post

The law, of course.

the law. always. its disgusting they gave her a single penny

Sounds like the whole ordeal was settled for both parties.

Also nice click bait title.
    "Hijab removed from Muslim woman's head while in jail."
    Is better suited.

Oh my God, he RIPPED it off??? Oh my, I'm getting the vapors!

Tough shit, lady. You don't like it then move to a place with sharia law where you could have your hand cut off for those theft charges.

Should her religious beliefs really come before the procedure? What can be hidden inside a hijab? Could it be used to strangle oneself? If she should get special treatment for her feels, then what comes next?

Can't believe they settled to pay her, essentially giving her the right in this. I don't want law enforcement that is backbound by PC culture...

the law, she did something, got arrested, she needs to be properly identified and processed for arrest. you shouldn't be allowed to steal a bunch of stuff and say that because you're a female muslim the male cops can't touch you. if they really want to argue their religion like that, they should also cut off her right hand.

Law > religion.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

While it seems sensible that they revised their policies after the incident the settlement money is ridiculous. $85,000?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

This is what my tax dollars are paying for?

So if going to jail or getting arrested is against my religion, will i get compensated if it ever happens? If I said it was against my religion to ever drive in a motor vehicle, will they have to walk me everywhere?

It is stupid to ever place any religious "rights" above the law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clickbait title. Seems like everything was resolved since the law did not specifically cover those things. I have no problem with the outcome.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Hijab makes it impossible for police to do their job. It should be banned in modern countries. It belongs to backwards religious nutjob countries.
    Are you sure you aren't talking about a burqa? You should be able to completely identify someone wearing a headscarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    While it seems sensible that they revised their policies after the incident the settlement money is ridiculous. $85,000?
    It's not sensible at all. Once again religious people get away with shit.

She was in the right 100%, she deserves that money as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    the law. always. its disgusting they gave her a single penny
    So then you're ok with them allowing her to keep it on, I'd assume. Considering Freedom of Religion (And Freedom of Expression, for that matter) is part of the law.

Good. Religion is a joke anyway.

(Infracted)
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-08-12 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    So then you're ok with them allowing her to keep it on, I'd assume. Considering Freedom of Religion (And Freedom of Expression, for that matter) is part of the law.
    Those freedoms are not without restrictions and limits.