Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    I am unsure as to the reasoning for singling out republicans on single-issue voting. Both sides of the political spectrum have many who cast their ballots while equipped with blinders. We need only glance at the 2016 Presidential Campaign to identify democratic single-issues:

1. Mrs. Clinton is a woman, so vote for her
    2. Raise minimum wage
    3. Equal pay among genders
    4. Lower tuition
    5. Universal Health Care
    I never saw ANYONE using number 1 as a reason for voting fro Clinton. The only people that I saw say that were Republicans trying to push that as a reason that Democrats were voting for her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    I never saw ANYONE using number 1 as a reason for voting fro Clinton. The only people that I saw say that were Republicans trying to push that as a reason that Democrats were voting for her.
    Before anyone calls you out on this, there were plenty of people saying "... and she's a woman, and it's about time we had a woman as President", or something similar.

The issue is everything that came before the ellipsis. This was a coda that was added on in addition to a host of other reasons they were already voting for her, not a single-issue thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Before anyone calls you out on this, there were plenty of people saying "... and she's a woman, and it's about time we had a woman as President", or something similar.

The issue is everything that came before the ellipsis. This was a coda that was added on in addition to a host of other reasons they were already voting for her, not a single-issue thing.
    Well, I guess I should have put a qualifier and stated that no one that I knew were voting for her because she was a woman, everyone that I knew that was going to vote for her, were voting for her for numerous reasons, not just a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    That single issue is usually

A. Lower taxes
    B. Gun rights
    C. Religion
    D. Liberals are evil!!!!(because they've been told this their whole lives)

It's hard to answer Republicans when they ask why I'm a Democrat because they expect me to have one big major reason like they do when really it's a great deal of smaller reasons.
    It's not just Republicans, it's most people in general. There is typically one big issue that most voters care about most, and are willing to look past other issues even if they conflict with their beliefs to vote for someone that shares their main one.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair... if these are Ayn Rand republicans... as defined in objectivism... they would/should be single issue voters.

https://youtu.be/FJEzEDMqXQQ
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I don't think the issue is even single-issue voters. That's an overly-simplistic view, but maybe that one thing is super-important to you and you don't care about the rest as long as that one thing goes the right way. Fine.

My issue is zero-issue voters. The ones who vote Republican (or Democrat, or whatever; this isn't unique to Republicans or even American politics alone) no matter what. They identify as Republican, and they won't vote for a Democrat, ever. Their local Republican could literally be Adolf Hitler's clone running on a "Fourth Reich" platform, and the Democrat could be the Newly Risen Jesus Himself, and they'd vote Republican, because "fuck that commie Jew Demoncrat".

If you challenge on on the issues, they won't even be able to tell you what the Democratic platform on the issue is, because they don't care. The one that stood out in 2016, to me, was the Midwest's economic straits. Both party platforms addressed this, pushing for revitalizing the Midwest and the Rust Belt, bringing jobs back to the region, etc. They did so in slightly different ways, but it was major components of both. But a lot of Republicans I saw acted as if Trump was the only one who cared about their plight; they had no idea that it was covered in the Democratic platform, and didn't care enough to find out. They voted for Trump without actually knowing what the other option was.

And that's insanity. Politics isn't a sports match. This shit matters, and if you're not informed about the basic stuff like party platforms, your vote is fundamentally meaningless and an assault on the concept of democracy.

...This right here speaks to why I washed my hands of America's political parties entirely. I was a registered Democrat until last August. I am now officially Unenrolled from any political party. It's different from being an Independent, which is considered a political party.

I'll just put it like this: Bush 43 becoming president in 2000 and all that happened since proved beyond reasonable doubt American Democracy is a failure (Not Bush's fault). Obama becoming the 44th President in 2008 and all that happened since proved beyond reasonable doubt America far more divided than many people wanted to admit to themselves (not Obama's fault). Trump becoming the 45th President and all that happened since proved beyond reasonable doubt power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutelty (not entirely Trump's fault).

Let's be real: America WANTS a king. Just not the obvious drawbacks that comes with it. All one needs to do is look at how people view the POTUS in general. A TRUE Democracy? You'll have to look elsewhere. LOL.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    There's an old saying in U.S. politics:

"Only two kinds of people vote Republican: Rich or Stupid."
    I'll give props where props are due.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    1: Study propaganda.
    2: Take a series of Poli Sci, Soc, Hum, etc classes.
    3: Evaluate what is actually being said from a neutral stand point.
    4: Realise that people are biased, and that bias seeps into everything they do.

I find it funny that both sides like to claim the other side uses indoctrination tactics but they themselves do not, when both side wallow in it.
    Learning that different cultures aren't out to kill you, or take your stuff, or aren't aggressive towards you is pretty liberally biased, yes. Since conservative paranoia is often based on the fear of "others" being aggressively oriented.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Ugh. I feel dirty for having to explain this to you. "Rust belt" = identity politics. "Religious right" = identity politics. "White male" = identity politics. "Rural voters" = identity politics. And, my favorite "Cosmopolitan bias" = identity politics. Of course, all of the anti-immigrant, anti-lgbt stuff is ALSO identity politics.

Like it or not, the right wing has taken over identity politics from the left in the last couple of years.
    Quoting for truth. For all the whining the right did about identity politics, they certainly are making very heavy use of it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

And that Hillary was going to start WW3 and was responsible for the murder of Seth Rich and ran a child sex ring out of a D.C. pizza shop, and chemtrails, and the government turning the "freakkin' frogs gay"

/"informed trump voter and InfoWarrior"

/sarcasm
    Last edited by Glnger; 2017-08-13 at 03:54 AM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    I have yet to get a straight answer out of our local Trumpsters over what their platform is. It's just a loop of "rich people shouldn't pay taxes" and stockpiling guns to overthrow the government. I think Hamas has a more coherent policy than the Republicans do.
    The only Trump supporter platform:
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.