Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    After reading this, one can only hope that Kim attacks you to force your hand. Let you grind down your assets and give you no time to replenish.
    The US can replenish pretty quickly if we chose to, it is a money matter not a capability matter. In this regard the US is far better off then Europe, as we have both a larger stockpile AND more production capacity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The US can replenish pretty quickly if we chose to, it is a money matter not a capability matter. In this regard the US is far better off then Europe, as we have both a larger stockpile AND more production capacity.
    Then what is it Skroe keeps whining about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    We're not going to war.

Are there three carrier strike groups off the coast of North Korea yet? Is there a rapid call up of carriers in limited availability? Has the Army started shipping armor to South Korea, by boat, which takes a minimum of two weeks?

No?

We're not going to war.
    The #1 indicator would be the movement of the MPS ships from Diego Garcia, Guam, and Saipan, followed by the shift of USAF aircraft to SK and Japan, then by the movement of non-deployed carriers and stateside armor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Then what is it Skroe keeps whining about?
    That we have not spent the money to do so. He was quite clear about that.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    I'll casually watch my normal news shows focus completely on how horrible the conflict is and totally not how the Don is using this as another distraction from Russiagate.
    Officially the single dumbest post I have read... in at least the last 3mo. Russiagate? Seriously? We are on the cusp of nuclear war with a nation who has been working for 50yrs on a warhead.. in order to use it.. and you think all of this shit is about Russiagate?

please tell me that your education is no higher than 8th grade. Otherwise there is no logical explanation for such ignorance, blind leftism, and sad stupidity.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

That we have not spent the money to do so. He was quite clear about that.....
    Exactly. For the benefit of others, the Boeing plant is producing 119 JDAM kits per day via two, eight hour shifts, for a total rate of 36,500 JDAMs per year. Adding a third shift to the plant could get the US to 50,000 JDAMs per year. But that costs money. Also 50,000 bombs sounds like a lot, but it's not, over the course of a year, for a major war. The US would need to open more plants.

And building more complex weapons, like cruise missiles, takes much longer. The US "only " procures between 100-200 Standard Missiles per year. From a production standpoint, our defense industrial base is in a total peace-team "maintenance" mode, not a war footing.

Matts is all over this though.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/matti...op-isis-2017-5

The extra bombs and ammo Mattis asked for were (per Defense News):

7,664 Hellfire missiles, worth $713.9 million for Lockheed Martin
    34,529 Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM), worth $874.3 million for Boeing
    6,000 Guided Multiple Launch Rocket Systems (GMLRS), worth $889.5 million for Lockheed Martin
    7,312 Small Diameter Bombs (SDB), worth $504.1 million to Boeing and Raytheon
    100 Tomahawk Missiles, worth $381.6 million for Raytheon
    An unlisted number of Advanced Precision Kill Weapon Systems (APKWS), worth $200 million
    - - - Updated - - -

Hey remember that time the British and French started bombing Libya and forgot to do a count of how many bombs and missiles they had, so they US had to loan them some so they didn't embarass themselves by running out of things to shoot?

Hey remember that time the Royal Navy retired all its Harpoon Missiles from it's Frigates and Destroyers to save a little bit of money?

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly. For the benefit of others, the Boeing plant is producing 119 JDAM kits per day via two, eight hour shifts, for a total rate of 36,500 JDAMs per year. Adding a third shift to the plant could get the US to 50,000 JDAMs per year. But that costs money. Also 50,000 bombs sounds like a lot, but it's not, over the course of a year, for a major war. The US would need to open more plants.

And building more complex weapons, like cruise missiles, takes much longer. The US "only " procures between 100-200 Standard Missiles per year. From a production standpoint, our defense industrial base is in a total peace-team "maintenance" mode, not a war footing.

Matts is all over this though.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/matti...op-isis-2017-5

- - - Updated - - -

Hey remember that time the British and French started bombing Libya and forgot to do a count of how many bombs and missiles they had, so they US had to loan them some so they didn't embarass themselves by running out of things to shoot?

Hey remember that time the Royal Navy retired all its Harpoon Missiles from it's Frigates and Destroyers to save a little bit of money?
    Well, the US has done some stupid cost cutting as well, like pulling the SM-1s and Harpoons off the FFGs (and then retiring them early), or retiring the Sprue 'cans early.

Deleted
    If it happens I hope North Korea turns into a proper country for the sake of its people.

Well, the US has done some stupid cost cutting as well, like pulling the SM-1s and Harpoons off the FFGs (and then retiring them early), or retiring the Sprue 'cans early.
    Yeah. My the Spruance story is my favorite US Navy malicious action story ever.

For the benefit of others, the US Navy rapidly built up it's modern Arleigh Burke Destroyer class in the 1990s and 2000s. The ship class was built around the Aegus Combat System. The Spruance class Destroyer, it's 1970s/1980s predecessor, had vertcal launch and modern sensors added on later. But htey were fine ships with decades of life left, and could have served into the 2020s.

To protect production of the Burkes, the Navy rapidly retired all the Spurances between 1996 and 2003, and then, to prevent a future President from pulling a Reagan by getting them out of mothballs and forcing the Navy to use them to grow the fleet, the Navy rapidly sunk them or scrapped all of them.

Some of it's old carriers? Sitting at port rusting for decades. The Spruances? Sleeping with the fishes in record time. All the Navy was missing was a snarky "Let's see them reactivate THAT!"

It's an interesting contrast with Submariens because the Spruance's submarine contemporary, the Los Angeles class, sails to this day. Sure they're being rapidly retired now as they reach the end of their useful lives, but even despite the success of the follow up Virginia class, the Navy didn't wholesale dump the 688s (especially the 688is) like it did the Spruances.

The height of irony is, of course, the ship shortage the USN has experienced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    United Korea ? oh, it will be a plush country for sure after the dust settles...in decades.
    The point is either way you'll end up in the same situation. Either North Korea is ignored until they flip their shit and attack, which will cause decades worth of time to repair, or do it now and get it over with before they become too powerful.

Who wouldn't watch a major historical event in their lifetime? Excited, nah. That is ludicrous.

Deleted
    I'm not 'Hyped' but I want North Korea gone and annexed by the democratic South. I doubt even China would stand with NK now.

Preferably this would be done with diplomacy but it seems unlikely that's even possible anymore. Shame this couldn't been resolved peacefully before the chubby dictator got nukes. I dont like trump much but if NK attack the USA I will not hold what happens next against him.

I'm also well out of danger half the world away in England so i get people within missile range will likely feel VERY different.

Since the world knows very little about NK who knows maybe rather then wiped out by the infinitely superior US and allies some generals might lead a coup. Hopefully be more open to the world.
    Last edited by mmoc8d6f890807; 2017-08-13 at 02:12 AM.

Doesn't seem very likely, but if it did happen NK would be squashed like a bug.

And then the US would probably be drawn into a prolonged military quagmire trying to occupy the area.

Essentially both sides would lose, which is why it most likely won't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    We have entered more wars with a democrat than with a republican.

16-10
    May I please see your data?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Who wouldn't watch a major historical event in their lifetime? Excited, nah. That is ludicrous.
    I mean, we saw one, last year, when Russia attacked America.

It's happen twice in most of our life times. First Al Qaeda attacked America on 9/11. Then Russia attacked America over the course of the summer/fall of 2016.

10+ Year Old Account
    On one hand it sucks that I'm within drafting age but on the other hand we'll live to see North/South Korea to just become "Korea."

Deleted
    I mean, we saw one, last year, when Russia attacked America.
    Get over it already, you are obsessed with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically, we are still at war with North Korea. The "first" war never technically ended, and all this would be would be the conclusion... in the span of 10-30 days, depending on holdouts. The United states capabilities are not as limited as people think. We have multiple bases within japan, we have multiple bases within south korea, we have a base in guam and a few bases in hawaii and alaska. As to icbms, we have enough munitions to shoot most... most down... at leasts thats what i last remember. The only thing, im hoping for, is trump to not be a dumbass and takes the first shot. The moment anything begins to launch from north korea, that should be looked on as intent of war, unless they specifically state where they are test firing their missiles and when(like they have been).

As to war, it would be a quick and decisive victory from the u.s. (unless trump does something stupid). North Korea will not gain support from either Russia or China if they shot first, meaning there will be needlessly spent lives in south korea, japan, and guam. With any hope, there will be simply a coup before anything happens, as Im sure North Korea's generals can at least see some sense, and are not blinded by their sense of immortality and being revered as a god... i hope.

Otherwise, maybe we can spout insults and noone does anything these next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    We have entered more wars with a democrat than with a republican.

16-10
    Sorry, bedroom "wars" as well as squabbles between liberals and conservatives don't count.

Not to mention that "wars" like that are generally started by conservatives anyway.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

I was convinced Trump would back down under increasing international pressure, until I found out today a family friend is being deployed, he is the command element of a bomber wing, and in the ~20 years I've known him, he has been deployed four times, each time was right before US forces invaded another country. I'd say the odds are pretty high we're going to be doing something stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Sorry, bedroom "wars" as well as squabbles between liberals and conservatives don't count.

Not to mention that "wars" like that are generally started by conservatives anyway.
    Do note, WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam were all started under Democrat presidents, which accounts for ~64% of all US combat fatalities since 1775.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I was convinced Trump would back down under increasing international pressure, until I found out today a family friend is being deployed, he is the command element of a bomber wing, and in the ~20 years I've known him, he has been deployed four times, each time was right before US forces invaded another country. I'd say the odds are pretty high we're going to be doing something stupid.
    That would depend on three things, what his command flies, where they are headed to, and if it was a normal rotation (we have been rotating heavy bombers out of Guan for a bit).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    This is how I envision things playing out.

OK, this made me laugh.