Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tiki brand denounces use of torches by white supremacists

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...e-supremacists

A brand of tiki torches is denouncing the use of its products by white supremacists this past weekend in Charlottesville.

White nationalists marched through Charlottesville, Va. Friday night holding tiki torches ahead of a planned rally in the city the next day.

TIKI said in a Facebook post Saturday that they are not associated in any way with the events that took place in Charlottesville and are "deeply saddened and disappointed" to be included.

“We do not support their message or the use of our products in this way. Our products are designed to enhance backyard gatherings and to help family and friends connect with each other at home in their yard,” the post read.

A group of far-right protesters shouting "white lives matter" and "you will not replace us" had marched onto the University of Virginia campus with the torches Friday ahead of a planned “Unite the Right” rally to protest the removal of a Confederate statue.

On Saturday, protesters clashed with counter-protesters at the rally and one man drove a car into a crowd, killing one and leaving more than a dozen others injured.

Two Virginia State Police officers were also killed in a helicopter crash that officials linked to the rally.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was it really necessary to make a new thread to discuss the proper useage of tiki torches?
    Me not that kind of Orc!

I don't think anyone honestly thought they did support that.

This is stupid, should Hanes denounce those who wear their underwear, Nike for those who wore their shoes? Durlex for those who wear condoms while screwing their sister? Just kidding, I am sure they don't wear a condom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    This is stupid, should Hanes denounce those who wear their underwear, Nike for those who wore their shoes? Durlex for those who wear condoms while screwing their sister? Just kidding, I am sure they don't wear a condom.
    Yes.

Because 1: It's easy publicity. and 2: they're Nazis.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

This would be a better story if Tiki torches supported their use as "free speech". And "we're not going to turn down all that money either."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Yes.

Because 1: It's easy publicity. and 2: they're Nazis.
    Those of us who have common sense know these companies don't support Nazi's just because a Nazi used their product. I guess for people such as yourself, that lacks common sense, you may feel they need to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those of us who have common sense know these companies don't support Nazi's just because a Nazi used their product. I guess for people such as yourself, that lacks common sense, you may feel they need to.
    ironic
    /10chars

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    ironic
    /10chars
    Speaking of those who lack... hi!

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of those who lack... hi!
    Yes I am speaking of who lack.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a way for companies to denounce them, before they become a brand for Nazis.

See, that's happened with our Nazis a few times. They decided on a brand to wear:

Either it was denounced, the Nazis switched, or...

It wasn't denounced, because they didn't care or wanted to make the money of Nazis, and they became a Nazi-brand. People wearing this brand are signaling their ideology, and normal people would never wear them.

So if they don't want to become a Nazi brand in the future, it might be a very sensible approach to denounce them right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Tiki torches were the most cringey shit. If some neo nazi retard came to me waving around one of those things to intimidate me I'd probably drop dead of laughter right there. But at least they're keeping the mosquitos at bay so maybe the nazis aren't so bad after all :thinking:

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny because it's a company getting ahead of itself in case some professional victims come about shouting why hasn't the company denounced the use of their product by extremists.

The fact that a company has to come out and denounce FUCKING NAZI's means theres a lot less common sense around then you think :P

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Was it really necessary to make a new thread to discuss the proper useage of tiki torches?
    The proper usage of a tiki torch in regards to nazis is to light it and shove it up their ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    What have you got against Tiki what've they ever done to you?

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing people such as your self pretending not to give a shit over all care a lot more than you let on. Otherwise Tiki's brand announcement would be a nonsense issue.

They made an announcement because they specifically as a brand Unlike say NEW BALANCE want to distance themselves from Nazi's GOOD!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not something a tiki torch company ever expected they'd need to say . . .
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Damn, it sucks to be associated with these people as a brand, even though you have no say in it.

Kinda like the Londsdale brand in Europe, which is also associated with people like this because they started wearing those clothes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think i was even thinking about the brand of their stuff when they were marching down the street calling people niggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

I am guessing people such as your self pretending not to give a shit over all care a lot more than you let on. Otherwise Tiki's brand announcement would be a nonsense issue.

They made an announcement because they specifically as a brand Unlike say NEW BALANCE want to distance themselves from Nazi's GOOD!
    My thought was more along the line of you're a damn fool if you think someone uses a brand for something negative that the brand supports said negative thing.

It would be like Dodge having to announce they are against running over protesters because people got pissed at them that some nut job used their car to do it.

Like I said, common sense thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    The fact that a company has to come out and denounce FUCKING NAZI's means theres a lot less common sense around then you think :P
    That's the damn truth right there.