Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    depends on the "storyboard". Disney's Arielle is not a perfect "H.C. Andersen mermaid", the studio took several liberties with the plot. Not mediterran by default, as atlantis is not part of the story.

What is the big problem here with "original mermaid by the book is not japanese/asian" ? it was a european idea and meant to be set in their usual waters. not caribbean, not in the chinese sea, not gulf of aden or bay of bengal. so what ?
    Mermaids don't have races. They are fictional characters, there really are no precedents to follow. Regardless of territorial waters they live in, mermaids aren't drowning victims come back to life. There is no reason to tie a single race to mermaids.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    adjust for inflation?

i mean give it 5-10 years every movie will be making billions because of inflation.
    Sure, but it's still the highest grossing movie of 2017 so far and still in the top 75 all time even with inflation. My main point was that it was wildly successful and movies that successful aren't forgotten 10 minutes after they're over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Hollywood is destroying itself because a Broadway show cast an Asian actress? What the hell does this have to do with anything in this thread?
    Don't you see man?
    /passes you the joint
    It's all just building up! It's all just getting more and more outrageous and eventually all the Hollywood execs, movie stars, directors, producers are all gonna fucking eat each other!
    /Alex jones-esque spasm

depends on the "storyboard". Disney's Arielle is not a perfect "H.C. Andersen mermaid", the studio took several liberties with the plot. Not mediterran by default, as atlantis is not part of the story.

What is the big problem here with "original mermaid by the book is not japanese/asian" ? it was a european idea and meant to be set in their usual waters. not caribbean, not in the chinese sea, not gulf of aden or bay of bengal. so what ?
    Depictions of scenes from the Mermaid show all manners of settings, including Middle Eastern...

To avoid any confusion, they could always cast her like this the next time;

Maybe she's a mermaid from Asia. What's the issue here.

As long as you're okay with the "it's a cyborg!" argument then you can have the "it's a mermaid!" argument too.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    People just like to complain...
    This...honestly they will find any little tiny itsy bitsy thing to complain about...

Pretty much to the point you're damned if you do and damned if you don't...they'll complain not enough minorities...or that a specific role shouldn't have been cast to a white person...and obviously now they'll complain if a role that they feel should have been a white person goes to a minority.

It is really damned if you do and damned if you don't in a world where anyone will complain about any little fucking thing.

Damn she is cute though.

People flipped out over a British Indian playing Jasmine in the live action remake of Aladdin. Not sure why this is surprising either

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    I don't care for her heritage or ethniticy, but that pancake-face I just saw there is an utter disgrace to my first proper childhood crush. Maybe that's the real issue for more than just me.
    It's a Broadway show. Unless you bring binoculars, you can hardly tell what her face looks like from most of the theater.

She is pretty cute and if she can sing well, she would be fine for the part.

Deleted
    Ok so why is it wrong to complain about non whites playing white characters but it's totally acceptable when the SJWs complain that white people are playing Asians or blacks or mexicans?

By the retarded's logic who criticized this girl taking the role, nd I quote: "But the tone and frequency of those comments intensified, she said, when the tour made its way to the South."

Not even your little white girls from Nebraska could do the job, afterall this is a danish tale, so, you should demand nothing less than a legitimate danish girl, from a danish family descending 5-generation at minimum.

Now, seriously, how is possible that people cry over a FICTIONAL CHARACTER of a MYTHICAL CREATURE'S ethnicity? It's not like they're trying to push a japanese guy to a role of Abraham Lincoln.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    an Asian with red hair, fascinating
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

You had me until you used "virtue signaling" unironically.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember Kids, If a White Person is chosen to play a character that isn't White, the Director and Writers are Racists and you are a fucking BIGOT! But if Someone who isn't White plays a White character and you point out the hypocrisy, THEN YOU ARE A RACIST AND A FUCKING BIGOT!!

The double standards strike again lul.

Deleted
    What disturbes me most is that grown, mature men have an opinion on this specific subject.

Deleted
    That's where you fail. It's a tale written by Hans Christian Andersen from Danmark and therefore situated in an european scenario. Political correctness may be open for any ethnic heritage, but technically by default Arielle is indeed far from being japanese.
    Hi. I'm from Denmark.

I literally grew up with every single H.C. Andersen tale. All of them, nost just the popular ones that made it internationally.

I
    dont
    care
    who
    plays
    Ariel

Maybe she swam all the way from Japan?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Can we all agree random people complaining on social media is not a valid reason for a news article or a thread?
    Yep.

This is a non-issue. There's a shrieking moron somewhere who shouldn't be given a pulpit, but thanks to the Internet and the desire for clickbait, we give them that pulpit, which only encourages more shrieking morons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Ok so why is it wrong to complain about non whites playing white characters but it's totally acceptable when the SJWs complain that white people are playing Asians or blacks or mexicans?
    Honestly, this might be one of the few areas where we agree. I thought the whole bullshit about Exodus was stupid too. "Oh no! Hollywood cast white dudes to play Egyptians." Give me a break people.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    My issue isn't that they're casting a japanese woman as Ariel, my issue is that they're remaking the movie, period.

Stop it with this shit disney, honestly. Shot-for-shot remakes are not something that is needed.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    Well, when you think of the word mermaid, doesn't everyone think of Nebraska? Or am i the only one?!
    Well maybe it's ironic?
    Putin khuliyo