Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Whataboutism is pathetic.
    Oh, you'd like me to address the issue directly?

Some people pulled down a statue in response to a neo Nazi rally that ended in one dead and several injured.

Boo fucking hoo?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Say what you will, but I despise hypocrisy. I am for neither side, both extremists can go to hell.
    I think it should be supremely obvious that putting vandalism alongside murder is a false equivalence. Even by the standards of false equivalence put forward in defence of these neo Nazi shitstains on a daily basis.

Both sides in this are not equal. You need to call out the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Vandalism means you definitely have a strong argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Disgusting vermin and mindless rioters.

Even if you don't agree with what the statue represents it belongs somewhere where people can learn about it, even if that place is in the dusty section of a museum.
    Nah. In the trash it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And in the case of the Civil War, what they wanted to allow was...slavery.

I get it, you folks in the South don't like being the bad guy in the conflict. This is why films about Native Americans always have 'good' white people. But it's not historically accurate and only serves to devalue the impact of the Confederacy and its legacy, especially in regards to the oppression of blacks.
    I understand that, and as I said, that is awful. I'm not for slavery, but the overall message is that the government should not have absolute sovereignty when it comes to the states.

As I stated earlier, change the issue from slavery to marijuana and I doubt you would hold the same view as you do now.

The overall idea that I, and many others like me agree on is that someone can't just wave their magic wand and change the law of the land/views of the people in an instant.

Why do we have monuments of losers anyways?

Why would Trump want that in his America?
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Vandalism means you definitely have a strong argument.
    Yup. Glorification of slavers and traitors will not be accepted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    I understand that, and as I said, that is awful. I'm not for slavery, but the overall message is that the government should not have absolute sovereignty when it comes to the states.

As I stated earlier, change the issue from slavery to marijuana and I doubt you would hold the same view as you do now.

The overall idea that I, and many others like me agree on is that someone can't just wave their magic wand and change the law of the land/views of the people in an instant.
    The "overall message" of the Confederacy was pro-slavery. So again; no. This idea that it was about "states' rights" is a retrospective revision that uses the Confederacy as a historical symbol of a modern political movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Nah. In the trash it goes.
    And into prison those vandals go. Maybe being in jail will make them realise what twats they were.

10+ Year Old Account
    On topic, but still fairly hilarious:

The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh, you'd like me to address the issue directly?

Some people pulled down a statue in response to a neo Nazi rally that ended in one dead and several injured.

Boo fucking hoo?
    I'd like you to stop being a tribalistic agitator. I don't care about the statue.

Also, some people committed vandalism on a statue because they consider what it represents to be racist. At least get it right.

Edit: But after seeing your posting history I have no hopes that is going to happen.
    Last edited by Hyral; 2017-08-15 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    And into prison those vandals go. Maybe being in jail will make them realise what twats they were.
    Twats? For tearing down slavers and traitors statues?

Should we Germans have left all the Hitler statues up?

The "overall message" of the Confederacy was pro-slavery. So again; no. This idea that it was about "states' rights" is a retrospective revision that uses the Confederacy as a historical symbol of a modern political movement.
    No it wasn't. Your view is the same as everyone else with a 5th grade level understanding of history. You can't move past the slavery issue to see the bigger picture. The exact same thing is happening today and yet you and others like you can't correlate it because "herp derp, slavery!"

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Have to disagree. It's not a memorial to those who lost their lives. It's literally dedicated to the confederate states of America. It serves no purpose other than to glorify the confederacy
    While I agree with you, that's easily debatable.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it wasn't. Your view is the same as everyone else with a 5th grade level understanding of history. You can't move past the slavery issue to see the bigger picture. The exact same thing is happening today and yet you and others like you can't correlate it because "herp derp, slavery!"
    There was no "bigger picture". All of the shit you revisionists bang on about from states' rights to economic systems are proximate factors, all stemming from the ultimate factor which was that the Confederacy was a movement whose ideology, economy, and politics were all contingent on the idea that people could be bought and sold as disposable property. It is not a forgivable or defensible institution at the time or in hindsight.

The only thing this is gonna do is cause more drama. Just saying because some were out there someone is gonna try to hit back harder. And you know its gonna be some innocent bystandard that gets hurt from it. If you want something to go away then ignore it. Clearly this generation doesn't ever want there to be any peace at all. Honestly wish the government would arrests then send some of the pc culture sjw's to a middle eastern country and show them how good they have it in the US. I look at all the sjw/pc kids these days and it makes me think "Damn thats the sperm that made it threw?"

There was no "bigger picture". All of the shit you revisionists bang on about from states' rights to economic systems are proximate factors, all stemming from the ultimate factor which was that the Confederacy was a movement whose ideology, economy, and politics were all contingent on the idea that people could be bought and sold as disposable property. It is not a forgivable or defensible institution at the time or in hindsight.
    So the government should have absolute power to govern the states and all things within them and the states should have absolutely no power?

For instance, if Florida (known for their oranges) wants to sell oranges, the government should be allowed to say "no, you can't sell oranges!"

10+ Year Old Account
    So the government should have absolute power to govern the states and all things within them and the states should have absolutely no power?
    I am saying that particular debate is ultimately immaterial to the Confederacy and using it as a symbol of such is tone deaf bordering on stupid when that institution's existence was built on the central notion that blacks were a subordinate class to be disposed of as chattel.

But yes, if we're talking about states' rights I hold that residual powers should revert to the federal government. Federalism is kinda dumb.

What a bunch of disgusting deplorables.

This is good to see. Monuments that celebrate traitors do not belong on public property, outside of a museum.

Suck all the ass, confederates. One by one you're losing all you hold dear in your worthless lives.

- - - Updated - - -

How many of the douchebags crying over confederate statues cried when the US Army posed grinning over that statue of Saddam?