Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    lolno.

MoP had incredible raids, and ToT shits all over Ulduar any day of the week.
    I liked both. Ulduar was more unique, and it was revolutionary at the time because it started the whole "hard mode" thing, and then of course that terrible Flame Leviathan fight. Throne of Thunder felt very same-y. Quality over quantity, folks. This is why I loved Firelands.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    lolno.

I still say people need to get over the panda thing and realize how seriously underrated MoP was. One of the best expansions all around. Another thing that skews opinions was SoO was out for waaaaaay too long. They dropped the ball there.

As someone who has raided every raid since vanilla, Ulduar is one of the best, in my opinion. Is it my favorite? No. But it's still fantastic raid. And like anything in this regard, it's subjective.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think ICC is better, simply the lore, look, and gear. But i see why lots like ud, and why its my second favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

lolno.

How does ToT shit all over it?

Ghostcrawler on Ulduar:

Ulduar was a high-water mark in many ways. Participation was low and the "button" hard modes weren't sustainable long term.
    Players were really spread out. Some couldn't beat the first boss and others were done.
    Ulduar was popular for the tiny percent of players who saw it. Flex mode normal would have helped it a ton.
    https://twitter.com/OccupyGStreet/st...26343815061504

https://twitter.com/occupygstreet/st...25539268677632

These comments confirm my impression that Ulduar was seen by the devs as the least successful raid of Wrath.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2017-08-15 at 04:38 AM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I've done most raids since Vanilla and Ulduar is the best IMO. It was epic, hard, the content lasted a long time and I really liked the way they did hardmodes.

Karazhan and Ulduar are still the best of all time even today imo.

Deleted
    Well that's fine you're entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong.

Ahem.

I think I've said enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite raids are Throne of Thunder, Siege of Orgrimmar and Highmaul. I like Ulduar too but it isnt part of my top ones.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

It's only overrated if you say it's the greatest raid ever. It's one of the top five though, along with AQ 40, Naxx 40, Black Temple, and ICC 25m Heroic.

Ulduar had some really nice aestetics. The bosses themselves were kinda lackluster (sunwell had better imo) with only a few of them having very interesting mechanics. Firefighter was awesome thou. Algalon, while looking awesome, was a big letdown mechanicwise.

But best raid ever?
    Dunno what id pick for that spot, maybe throne of thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    IMO I bet the "trigger" to start hard modes for the dozens of bosses since Ulduar would have gone beyond stagnant by now. I bet when they designed Mimiron's HM to start with the big red button they were like hm...this is a good fallback idea, and went with that going forward.
    Honestly even in Ulduar there were so few of them. What bosses actually had Hard Modes that were creative? Leviathan, Deconstructor, Iron Council (and even then), Freya, and Yogg. Thorim and Hodir were speedruns, and Mimiron's was literally pushing a button. Almost half the bosses didn't even have one.

I think Hard Modes would have gotten stale very, very quickly. Not to mention probably contrived.

As for the raid itself, it's a great raid, but I wouldn't rate it at the top like so many do. I enjoyed ICC, ToT, HFC and BRF as much or even more. But there's no denying that it's packed full of great lore, that the art is amazing, and the music is some of the best in the game. If I had to rate a raid purely on these criteria, Ulduar is very hard to beat.

OP Has bad taste, Ulduar is the greatest raid in WoW /thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Ahem.

I think I've said enough.
    Cute, but for an actual cool summation of Ulduar as a Raid...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    This thread is wierdly trollish..

But to be on topic, Ulduar is nearly by fact the best raid Blizzard have ever made and Blizzard would proberly agree, since it is one of the raids used the most time on and which had the most succesful raiddesign experiments.

I mean, even just with the huge amounts of achievements in the instance, that it was the first instance with a "Heroic" only boss and that several of the bosses used completly new design features really puts up above any other instance. The personally experience may vary, but the objective look on all the raids ever made will make Ulduar the top 1.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    I don't think everyone praises Ulduar for its estethics or anything like that. The only things Ulduar had that was beyond anything they've ever done since were the hard modes. This was the pinnacle of progression design where if you did the bosses in a certain way you got a bit extra and certainly that's where the prestige for the world first guilds was.
    It's praised because it's the correct way to implement more difficult content, sadly it was immediately followed by lazy difficulty sliders and we've been stuck with them ever since.
    There have been over 150 raid bosses released since Ulduar.

How many versions of "kill in different order, start/stop dps, activate/deactivate helpers" do you think they could forever come up with that wouldn't feel forced? They even said they had hard time coming up with enough just for the Ulduar raid which didn't even include all the bosses. Thinking that they are now just being lazy is insane.

I did really like the lore and boss fights, but I really think the biggest thing going for Ulduar is that it lasted less than 4 months. Released 4/15/2009 and ToC released 8/5/2009. The raid didn't last long enough to get stale like ICC/SoO/HFC lasting 12+ months. Even NH lasted 5.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argorwal View Post
    There have been over 150 raid bosses released since Ulduar.

How many versions of "kill in different order, start/stop dps, activate/deactivate helpers" do you think they could forever come up with that wouldn't feel forced? They even said they had hard time coming up with enough just for the Ulduar raid which didn't even include all the bosses. Thinking that they are now just being lazy is insane.

I did really like the lore and boss fights, but I really think the biggest thing going for Ulduar is that it lasted less than 4 months. Released 4/15/2009 and ToC released 8/5/2009. The raid didn't last long enough to get stale like ICC/SoO/HFC lasting 12+ months. Even NH lasted 5.
    I don't think they needed to really find new versions of hardmodes all the time, because while it was great to have new interesting ways of starting hardmodes, the best thing about the feature was that it was interactive. Even the red button at Mimiron was interactive, you understood while things got harder and you were really to blame for it. Hardmodes made the player interact with the encounter and i personally think it is both sad and kinda lazy, that Blizzard have totally gone away with the hardmode instead of integrating it into the raid design.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    I don't get why everyone has such a raging hard on for ulduar. I'm not saying it was a bad raid but it was far from the best. BWL, SoO, Naxx 1.0, ICC, BWD, BT, and a few others were far better.
    No they weren't. Throne of Thunder is coming close nur BWL, SoO and Nax? lol

Blizzard has never created such a big and great anymore.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    IMO I bet the "trigger" to start hard modes for the dozens of bosses since Ulduar would have gone beyond stagnant by now. I bet when they designed Mimiron's HM to start with the big red button they were like hm...this is a good fallback idea, and went with that going forward.
    Oh, I loved that. Didn't like it when it drew too much attention in a raid group of unprepared raiders. But just loved that it was there, no interface option, want a tougher fight, the button is there...
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..