Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Snowden already has a statue, doesn't he? Or is that only in Germany?
    I dunno, I googled it and.... justa second, there's a knock at the door...

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I've seen it before tyvm.
    So you missed the point? Do you not understand why the arguments to 'pull them down' are largely shit?
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    So you missed the point? Do you not understand why the arguments to 'pull them down' are largely shit?
    Go back to my first post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I'm fine with that.
    That was my whole point man. I just wouldn't want to see them destroyed, just like I wouldn't want to see a picture or a book burned.

Also having a statue put in a museum has another value, it's a good way of showing that our values change and evolve, of what exactly makes a hero, and if their actions were right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    When Boyka has spoken you know its just /thread tbh
    I think he'd agree with me, in a slightly more profanic and "lets settle this in a ring" kind of way.
    Last edited by Archon14; 2017-08-18 at 04:59 AM.

Why shouldn't we pull down monuments to slavery? They can belong in a museum, but they don't belong in public places to be celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Why shouldn't we pull down monuments to slavery? They can belong in a museum, but they don't belong in public places to be celebrated.
    Because much of what is being targeted isn't a monument to slavery. The sheer amount of ignorance on the matter is telling. Especially as people continue to equate them, cause [reasons].
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

Because much of what is being targeted isn't a monument to slavery. The sheer amount of ignorance on the matter is telling. Especially as people continue to equate them, cause [reasons].
    Statues built in the 20th century, long after the civil war, are monuments to slavery.

Traitors shouldn't get monuments either. Neither should losers. I thought Right Wingers were against Participation Trophies.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

i actually would like to see more mt. rushmore style monuments.

i want something that will last like the great pyramids. so that in the future, when we've died out or destroyed ourselves, alien visitors will have something to uncover, to know what we looked like.

or hell, even the sentient species that evolve after we're gone. i want something they will see and make stories about. they will forever wonder who we were, what we were like.

ideally, i'd also like some kind of summary of our history written on something indestructible. something that can whether the test of time better than any granite or any other stone. maybe our replacements or the alien visitors will be able to translate it.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2017-08-18 at 05:05 AM.

Many of these statues were erected LONG after the historical events. They were erected at a time when racial tensions were at some of their highest to push a racist agenda. Preservation of history had little to do with it.

I was like, why is someone posting an old Lindybeige video?

But no, it's a good idea - why not replace some of those Confederate monuments with statues of Union soldiers crushing the skulls of Confederate slavers beneath their boots?

Perhaps with the motto "remember your place"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

We need gigantic statues like the one in Greece, I think. Statues that cant be knocked over by some demented hood rat. I don't see how we will avoid a second civil war at this point. I honestly don't.

Statues built in the 20th century, long after the civil war, are monuments to slavery.
    The ignorance in this comment is insane. It is almost like you desperately want to assign motive to actions for a specific agenda.

Not sure if white guilt or We Wuz Kangz.

The ignorance in this comment is insane. It is almost like you desperately want to assign motive to actions for a specific agenda.

Not sure if shitposting.

These statues were erected in the early to mid 20th century by people who were mad they had to treat black people as actual people.

Quote Originally Posted by livnthedream View Post
    the ignorance in this comment is insane. It is almost like you desperately want to assign motive to actions for a specific agenda.

Not sure if white guilt or we wuz kangz.
    they was kangz!

- - - Updated - - -

These statues were erected in the early to mid 20th century by people who were mad they had to treat black people as actual people.
    You mean the people that actually fought world wars against other people who looked like them?. Those people?.

Continuing to assert it does not make it true.

Are there cases of that? Undoubtedly. All of them? Not even close.

There is a reason why Gettysburg has emphatically pushed back against this stupidity, and it isn't because they are horrible racists.

15+ Year Old Account

Former I'd imagine. Anyway, I don't have a problem with statues because history is cool.

Continuing to assert it does not make it true.

Are there cases of that? Undoubtedly. All of them? Not even close.

There is a reason why Gettysburg has emphatically pushed back against this stupidity, and it isn't because they are horrible racists.
    Look up when most of these statues were built. They weren't built after the war, they were built 60+ years later.

how about you build a school, or a library, or anything else that's more fucking useful then a statue.