Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Basic version of Kaspersky AV now free

The world's best antivirus, Kaspersky, has released the free version this July.
    That's quite unprecedented given the level of the product.

Because what I really want on my computer is russian spyware that won't let me install anything.

My favorite is Sophos, free business hardware firewall for home-use with enterprise features and AV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another 'meh, better off without it'.

There are only a handful of antivirus that aren't a pile in some form or another. Big Red ain't one of them.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Nice try, Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pre-Step 1: Always have your shit backed up.
    Step 1: Don't click stupid shit.
    Step 2: If you accidentally click stupid shit, run Windows Defender and run Malwarebytes (both free).
    Step 3: If fucked beyond repair, utilize backup.

There's no need for AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, Norton or whatever else if you can exercise some caution. If you're the only person on the PC and you have a 3 digit IQ you can absolutely make safe decisions and browse without an antivirus running in the background.

...that being said, realtime protection isn't a bad idea for the tech illiterate who never back up their shit no matter how many times they fuck their computers up, who still can't wrap their minds around phishing attempts and intelligent online shopping in 2017.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Another 'meh, better off without it'.

There are only a handful of antivirus that aren't a pile in some form or another. Big Red ain't one of them.
    I haven't really even found a good paid one. I used to love NOD32 back in the day, but now its just a bloated mess. Its sad but my antivirus now is just having good backups and having it set up where I can wipe everything and reinstall windows in at the drop of a hat.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    I haven't really even found a good paid one. I used to love NOD32 back in the day, but now its just a bloated mess. Its sad but my antivirus now is just having good backups and having it set up where I can wipe everything and reinstall windows in at the drop of a hat.
    I have had very good luck with Webroot, however I don't advertise it here because 1) I sell it, so I don't want to sound biased, and 2) It's paid, so it's not really a free option and 3) I don't use it at home, so it's hard to say I 'personally recommend' it. I have just found it to be the most effective and least hassle in work experience.

That said, most of my customers are elderly people who will click on every 'you won a free ipad' link. The fact that anyone on this forum is USING a forum puts them on a tech level a notch above that by default. I honestly could have a good complaint about virtually every AV out there (even Webroot has some issues). The real honest answer is use Ublock and run Malwarebytes and CCleaner every 3-6 months.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The built in Anti-Virus in Windows 8/10 in general is good enough for 95% of people, plus it doesn't have the system performance impact that any of the current AV programs do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    The built in Anti-Virus in Windows 8/10 in general is good enough for 95% of people
    No, it is not. Its heuristic module is very basic and it constantly fails to react to the newest treats. There's simply no excuse in using it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    The built in Anti-Virus in Windows 8/10 in general is good enough for 95% of people, plus it doesn't have the system performance impact that any of the current AV programs do.

That is bad advice. Its also causing harm. Use Kaspersky or something. Prevention is best but good luck on that as others around you wont.

Going without antivirus is fucking ridiculous. It was fine back in the day, but now with drive by downloads and corrupted payloads slipped into normal, everyday web pages, going without an AV is asking for trouble.

I agree with Chazus, Webroot is absolutely phenominal. Light as can be, works really well, and you can get it for $10/year from newegg. If you go free, I prefer Avira or Avast/AVG. In that order.

LOL 'best' ... the best AV is built into Windows. Non invasive and fully integrated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    There's simply no excuse in using it.
    Well - the best excuse is that it works fine.
    A better excuse - it doesn't act like a virus infection itself like Kasperspy or Nortons etc.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

No, it is not. Its heuristic module is very basic and it constantly fails to react to the newest treats. There's simply no excuse in using it.
    It's perfectly adequate if you're not a moron when it comes to installing spyware type stuff and opening file attachments, etc. I simply don't want the system resource hit of using and updating a standalone anti-virus program. If I wasn't the only one using my PC and someone using it was a dumb ass with opening stupid stuff, I might feel differently. On a machine for my mother for example? Yeah, I would want anti-virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigular4 View Post
    Not sure how the free version work.
    It is KIS 2017 with all the extra modules disabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Non invasive and fully integrated. A better excuse - it doesn't act like a virus infection itself
    What is "invasive"? Viruses should be proactive to combat droppers, miners, encryptors and other custom-made shit.

I've been without any AV (except microsoft built-in) since 2009. The 2 times I've gotten a virus a quick download of Malwarebytes fixed it up.

The best AV you can have is common sense, an adblocker and scriptblocker.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by narendal94 View Post
    I've been without any AV (except microsoft built-in) since 2009. The 2 times I've gotten a virus a quick download of Malwarebytes fixed it up.

The best AV you can have is common sense, an adblocker and scriptblocker.
    You're telling people they don't need an AV, yet you've had to use malwarebytes twice because you got a virus twice? Don't you see how that's a little funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    You're telling people they don't need an AV, yet you've had to use malwarebytes twice because you got a virus twice? Don't you see how that's a little funny?
    I didn't tell them to go without any AV, if anything they should use malwarebytes. However an AV is not neccesary with those three things I wrote. Both times I got a virus I lacked 1 of those things, common sense. Downloaded sketchy stuff from tpb.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by narendal94 View Post
    I didn't tell them to go without any AV, if anything they should use malwarebytes. However an AV is not neccesary with those three things I wrote. Both times I got a virus I lacked 1 of those things, common sense. Downloaded sketchy stuff from tpb.
    Ah, ok

The topic kinda intrigued me so I decided to go search for credible sources both for and against using AV software, but frankly, the best thing I could find was that it's completely down to each persons individual use of the PC. While people in the know-how will not really need an AV program, people who don't know how to use a computer too well, or fall for those fishy email scams a little too easily might be better off with such a program running.

I personally use Kaspersky Total Security. I've kinda got a feeling that if I'm not running an AV, I'm more susceptible. It may well be a false feeling, I've been using computers for near 20 years now so have a decent idea of what I'm doing, but that feeling is still there. It's a "rather be safe than sorry" feeling.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2017-08-20 at 04:13 PM.

What is "invasive"? Viruses should be proactive to combat droppers, miners, encryptors and other custom-made shit.
    Easy - prevents the correct operation of the operating system and/or other innocent applications.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.