Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Stuck With Old Items For RP

Anyone other RP'ers feel slightly annoyed that if you want to play a realistic looking medieval-esque character, your only options are ancient vanilla items? RPing is what I like to do most in WoW, but the choices for gear are so limited. Most of the gear that's 60+ just doesn't work well for RP as it's too fancy or outlandish. I'm sort of stuck with very low textured armour if I want to RP with some realism. I mean it's Legion and as an RP'er I feel like I'm always stuck in the past. The game looks and feels a lot better now but I'm still wearing gear from like 2006. It's a shame.
    Last edited by mmoc37b524a896; 2017-08-19 at 07:40 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can't be serious.. There are hundreds of "realistic" looking Weapons across all the expansions of WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    You can't be serious.. There are hundreds of "realistic" looking Weapons across all the expansions of WoW.
    "Weapons".

There are none at legion, wod, mop, cata and wotlk. Show me one realistic, one that a real human would use in an actual fight.

Almost all of the ones that would actually be usable are from Vanilla. Then again, getting workable armor isn't that easy either.

Definitely would like HD versions of some of the plainer items.

Deleted
    This is my point. There are very few realistic weapons or armour in the game that aren't from the very early days of WoW. I can sit on wow model viewer and go through it for hours and not find a single new item with high res textures that suits a realistic character. It's all over the top, crazy spikey stuff or asian, etc etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    I don't RP but I've gotten the same feeling when looking for a more "basic" transmog. A lot of the sets recently have been looking more and more over the top (especially with the amount of skulls on Lock and DK things).

One thing I'm really looking forward to though is the new Rogue tier which has more of a traditional thief appearance.

On a slightly related note, I feel like more non-robe options for cloth would be nice too; most of the ones currently in game are also from Vanilla (although they have been added).

- - - Updated - - -

The Stormwind Guard set from WoD is probably one of the best options you would have for "high res plain armor". But I absolutely agree that they should add more.
    Yeah I was just thinking that. I'm glad they made that new SW armour, but as I'm not particularly interested in military RP it's not really for me. I like to play explorers/rangers and so forth and I'm reduced to wearing very very low res cloth and leather pieces from the old days. It just looks ugly. I mean it's 2017!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSarumantheWise View Post
    Anyone other RP'ers feel slightly annoyed that if you want to play a realistic looking medieval-esque character, your only options are ancient vanilla items? RPing is what I like to do most in WoW, but the choices for gear are so limited. Most of the gear that's 60+ just doesn't work well for RP as it's too fancy or outlandish. I'm sort of stuck with very low textured armour if I want to RP with some realism. I mean it's Legion and as an RP'er I feel like I'm always stuck in the past. The game looks and feels a lot better now but I'm still wearing gear from like 2006. It's a shame.
    Well, this is World of Warcraft, we can't get that close to realistic armors for a reason. Though, there is many weapons and a few armor pieces to look in to.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    I would really recommend the new rogue tier for the "explorer" vibe:

It still has flourishes, but those are mostly the shoulders and gloves (can replace the gloves and hide the shoulders).

Over-the-top has kind of always been Blizzard's style, but I agree that it would be nice to see some more played-down armor choices in game.
    The problem is, even though this is better and more practical than a crazy 10ton armour set that has molten lava and crazy spikes, it's still not realistic. What I mean is, I'm the type of RP'er who likes to wear actual realistic gear, like a cowl, leather belt with a buckle, a simple woolen cape and a bow that could be picked up at level 1. So the issue is, I'll pretty much never be able to have that sort of gear but with high res textures. Maybe I shouldn't be complaining because WoW is just too fantastical for that. It's not in their design philosophy.

For a start why would you want to RP something out of TV series GoT when WoW is basically a high fantasy with science fiction elements, do you hate magic and fantasy that much?

Sorry I always get baffled by people who just want "realism" in a fantasy world.

I would really recommend the new rogue tier for the "explorer" vibe:

It still has flourishes, but those are mostly the shoulders and gloves (can replace the gloves and hide the shoulders).

Over-the-top has kind of always been Blizzard's style, but I agree that it would be nice to see some more played-down armor choices in game.
    The shoulders are almost always where sets break down and become a bit silly. Some sets look fine without shoulders, many do not.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    For a start why would you want to RP something out of TV series GoT when WoW is basically a high fantasy with science fiction elements, do you hate magic and fantasy that much?

Sorry I always get baffled by people who just want "realism" in a fantasy world.
    Bit hostile there, mate?

Lord of the Rings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    There are none at legion, wod, mop, cata and wotlk. Show me one realistic, one that a real human would use in an actual fight.
    HAHJAHAHAHA are you guys fucking kidding me.

Wow is a high fantasy game. It was never supposed to be realistic.

You guys are so playing the wrong game lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    HAHJAHAHAHA are you guys fucking kidding me.

Wow is a high fantasy game. It was never supposed to be realistic.

You guys are so playing the wrong game lol
    Believe me, I'd be playing a different game if there was anywhere near the amount of players for RP. Plus, WoW's zones and music are top notch so I would rather like to stay.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, it's not just me. There's also this thread "I would like to go back to "normal" and realistic looking armor sets!".

Deleted
    Believe me, I'd be playing a different game if there was anywhere near the amount of players for RP. Plus, WoW's zones and music are top notch so I would rather like to stay.
    Which is perfectly fine and fair.

But you really cant expect a game like wow to go full on realism mode. The guy who mentioned wanting weapons people would actually use in a fight. Like what? People dont actually use giant 2 handed swords or maces.

They dont use daggers either.

In general people use axes or swords the most and we are talking plane old completely stale looking ones. That just wont ever fly in wow

Edit:
    Used
    Last edited by mmocfe2bab4c21; 2017-08-19 at 08:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a videogame where a gnome can wield two weapons of his size. Their goal to make gear look interesting, not realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted

But you really cant expect a game like wow to go full on realism mode. The guy who mentioned wanting weapons people would actually use in a fight. Like what?
    I didn't say it needed to go full realism mode, but I think it'd be nice if the devs realised that the game isn't always about the heroes. Think of Stormwind citizens... Think of the Warcraft movie. People still do where realistic gear. Villagers aren't wearing crazy armour sets. The one thing that people don't understand when I bring this up, and evidently when other people bring it up (as in that other thread I linked) is that it can still be fantasy with simple garbs and attire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    It's a videogame where a gnome can wield two weapons of his size. Their goal to make gear look interesting, not realistic.
    See my above comment. People's criticisms are always given in the mindset of the player character, but think of NPCs like villagers and simple townsfolk...

10+ Year Old Account

But you really cant expect a game like wow to go full on realism mode. The guy who mentioned wanting weapons people would actually use in a fight. Like what? People dont actually use giant 2 handed swords or maces.

They dont use daggers either.

In general people use axes or swords the most and we are talking plane old completely stale looking ones. That just wont ever fly in wow

Edit:
    Used
    Yeah, i wish that two warriors smashing their swords against plate armour would end up just breaking said swords, because you don't strike someone who wears full plate with a fucking sword. Realism, lol

- - - Updated - - -

See my above comment. People's criticisms are always given in the mindset of the player character, but think of NPCs like villagers and simple townsfolk...
    Sorry but what's you point? I see nothing wrong with NPCs, or you just want to look like an NPC? Why NPC would wear epic shoulders two-sizes of an orc? You seem to want a simplistic gear, minimalistic of some sort, but by no means realistic
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-08-19 at 08:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Isnt Age of Conan a more "realistic" type of game?

(havent tried it)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Yeah, i wish that two warriors smashing their swords against plate armour would end up just breaking said swords, because you don't strike someone who wears full plate with a fucking sword. Realism, lol

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but what's you point? I see nothing wrong with NPCs, or you just want to look like an NPC?
    Reading comprehension my friend... I didn't say there was anything wrong with NPCs. My point is that most of the people complaining about realistic armour are thinking about their gear as player characters. They want to look like heroes. However the WoW universe still have realistic looking NPCs in the form of villagers, townsfolk, explorers etc. It's not all about crazy spikes, molten lava and shoulders with skulls on them. The WoW universe has this:

People still wear normal looking gear. So my point is that it's still fantasy even without the crazy armour.

I'm saying that I'd like gear like this but with high resolution textures
    Last edited by mmoc37b524a896; 2017-08-19 at 08:24 AM.