Poll: Would you kill for a job at Blizz?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    Nope, I'd rather work for a company like CDPR than Blizzard.
    I mean it seems like Blizzard is still one of the better massive game studios around these days. Better than the Bioware and Bethesdas.

I wouldn't mind working for them remotely, but I'd never move to California or Texas to take a job there.

Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    I'd love to but I have no skills to work in the gaming industry.
    There are always hiring Sysadmin and Network Admin positions. You can get your foot in the door as a junior NA with a CCNA or even CCENT and some experience.

Way more to working for the company then just game development positions.
    Last edited by grandgato; 2017-08-21 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    My dream job is being a writer for Blizzard, but I really can't find anything online that tells you how to get in the video game writing field. Its all programming this, modeling that. Someone has to write those item descriptions, where the hell do they get their start?
    Blizzard, like any company, does have an editorial team. The item descriptions probably aren't part of that job description but I'm sure there is editing involved both in marketing material and checking in game text. As for the OP, I actually would dig working at Blizzard but like this poster mentioned not from a "game design" standpoint. Marketing/editorial would be where I would try to get in. Unfortunately, I don't have the experience or degrees necessary for such a job at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but back in like 2009. I fear that its best days are long behind them. Still, I bet they're a great company to work for even in 2017. But to be around the masterminds at their peak during TBC/Wrath... What a time.

Part of me would, sure.

Another part of me wouldn't, however. Digital art mediums tend to be insanely competitive fields with fairly low job stability. And passion for any given thing can go south very quickly once you start relying on it for income.

7+ Year Old Account
    Knowing what their pay scales are at a few different levels, no fucking way.

Having some experience being a game master / CR Rep for another game in the past; Nope. It is really an unforgiving task and a surefire way of destroying a game you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    At heart, yes. At logical actions, no. If I kill for a job, I obviously won't get to keep the job no matter what. I would like to work for them but time comes and goes.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I rather kill for job that just requires me to play video games but with little or no skill.

Too bad I was not born a hot woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    At heart, yes. At logical actions, no. If I kill for a job, I obviously won't get to keep the job no matter what. I would like to work for them but time comes and goes.
    Unless you aim to be an assassin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    I studied and work in business management. Would be just as boring at Blizard TBH.

But if I could get any creative/gameplay position in Blizzard ? Hell yeah I take the first flight to california !!! Would actually LOVE to work on class design/balance, may sound pretentious but I'm sure I could actually do some good.

Just point me who I need to kill. Gonna be quick I'm actually a decent marksman.
    Can you code?

I love the idea of designing games, and I've designed a few of my own(and I mean ACTUALLY designed, not just had some shitty idea stuck in my head, I acted on it). I love designing games, I love programming games, and I kinda enjoy the art aspect of it.

It might be because I'm still 21 and naive, but working at Blizzard looks like a dream job right now. So, I vote yes.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoneo View Post
    I would. But I've studied the wrong subject.
    And I live on the other side of this planet.
    You'll earn more money doing the same thing outside of the Bay Area and your cost of living will be cheaper. But if you want ridiculous hours and crunch time schedules then apply on their website.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    I studied and work in business management. Would be just as boring at Blizard TBH.

But if I could get any creative/gameplay position in Blizzard ? Hell yeah I take the first flight to california !!! Would actually LOVE to work on class design/balance, may sound pretentious but I'm sure I could actually do some good.

Just point me who I need to kill. Gonna be quick I'm actually a decent marksman.
    There's not really a job such as class design/balance or as some people like to call it, the idea person. If you're not in Marketing, IT, Analytics or Sales then you're in the trenches doing development. The designers brainstorm ideas, develop it, trash it, rinse, repeat until something sticks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

7+ Year Old Account

ofc no

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I wouldn't kill anyone but sure I'd work there if I had the chance. I'd rather work at a smaller company though or even start my own. Blizzard is not what it used to be but that happens to every company when they grow so huge.

Why would anyone desire to work at blizzard that much? it's just another software company, there's nothing special about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoneo View Post
    I would. But I've studied the wrong subject.
    And I live on the other side of this planet.
    None of this is a blocker. The most notable piece of my work as quality analyst was at Wall Street. I was born in Europe and never did a CS degree.
    In my next job I met an ex-Bliz employee who went back to Ireland to finally start earning some money. You sure it's worth it?

I'm unemployed. So maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    You'll earn more money doing the same thing outside of the Bay Area and your cost of living will be cheaper. But if you want ridiculous hours and crunch time schedules then apply on their website.
    Blizzard isn't anywhere near the bay area. You'd have to drive for like seven hours to get to San Francisco or San Jose from Irvine, where Blizzard's headquartered.

There's not really a job such as class design/balance or as some people like to call it, the idea person. If you're not in Marketing, IT, Analytics or Sales then you're in the trenches doing development. The designers brainstorm ideas, develop it, trash it, rinse, repeat until something sticks.
    The reason lots of people want to get into game design is because they want to be the "ideas guy" who's throwing out story ideas or art ideas or gameplay ideas. You know, not actually writing stories, not actually making art, and not actually writing code or developing systems because all of those require actual skill.

I read a good article from a game developer about "ideas..." In essence, they don't need "idea" guys and they don't hire them. Ideas aren't worth the paper they're written on if the person doesn't know how to execute them, no matter how much that person has "thought them out."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post

No, I'd rather have a well paying job that doesn't treat me like an expendable piece of shit.
    1. You don't know what you talking about.
    2. This video is only true if you're that cardboard character.

No, I like my job and I don't want to live in California.