Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Post Canadian town refuses to remove swastikas from park

Source

A Canadian town says it will not remove swastikas from a public park because it has historical significance.

The Nazi symbols adorn an anchor that was on display in Pointe-des-Cascades, Quebec.

Corey Fleischer, who goes around Montreal removing hateful graffiti, tried to paint over the swastikas.

But the mayor stopped him and had police remove him from the park, arguing the anchor is a part of local history.

The anchor has a plaque that identifies it as a "souvenir of Nazism", and says it was used in Europe at the end of War, probably on a merchant boat, and found in 1980.

But in a statement on the town's website, the mayor says the anchor belonged to a merchant vessel that predates World War Two and was found by local divers 25 years ago.

"The village of Pointe-des-Cascades does not endorse Nazism," said Mayor Gilles Santerre in a statement online.

"Our village has a beautiful community and family spirit, and creates events that bring people together."

The village has about 1,500 people and is located about 50 miles (80km) from Montreal.

The statement cites an article by Radio Canada, which says that before 1920 the swastika was a symbol of peace.
    Image copyright Erase the Hate

It is used in many religions around the world, including Hinduism and Buddhism.

Around the world debates have raged over historically significant monuments containing swastikas.

In Japan, temples are often marked by swastikas, and a push to stop using the symbol on tourist maps sparked a backlash.

To avoid confusion, the mayor of Pointe-des-Cascades says the town will put up a plaque that better explains the context of the anchor.

However, Mr Fleischer says older meaning is irrelevant and the symbol on the anchor is clearly one of Nazi Germany.

It is painted black and laid over a white circle, a stylistic choice that he says was only employed by the Third Reich.

As founder of Erase the Hate, Mr Fleischer has travelled the world to remove hateful and anti-Semitic graffiti.

"Maybe the city did not know," he told the BBC. "But I know exactly what this is. There is no ifs ands or buts about it."

Mr Fleischer said that as a piece of history, it belongs in a museum where its meaning is clear, instead of in a public park.

"It is a place where people come to feel safe and this is being displayed for everybody to see," he said.
    I agree, it's just a piece of history, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I say it's their town. let them do what they want with it. Some random dude walking around shouldn't be the one making a decision about what should stay or go.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, as they state this is a kind of souvenir of the times. It holds no actual spiritual or political value, but has a more historical significance. It's just a thing, an item, a relic.

I think that putting up the plaque about it is a good move though. But perhaps it would be better to have it in a museum or something like that, and not displayed publicly in a park. A bit rough to see that when you're just hanging out.

Time to bomb that town from the face of the Earth!!!!11!!!!

I think we are now entering a time when you are called crazy if you use rational thinking.

Don't worry I'm sure everyone's favourite Canadian will be here soon to clear up this whole mess.

time to stop telling these antiwhite movements why they shouldnt destroy monuments.
    and just plain stop them instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It's a piece of history, put the plaque by it's side to explain it and there's nothing wrong with it.

If the twat tries to destroy it again, throw him in prison.

Half the towns in canada have some form of WW2 captured german memorabilia on display. Not sure why this is particularly offensive, though if the context is not given I guess some dumb people might mistake it for endorsement. Easily fixed from what I can see.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they dont want to move it to a museum, cant they just add, like, a (critical) explaining plaque? That would basically be the same as a museum. Well, if there isnt already. I don't see that particular anchor at risk of being a public gathering place or monument for... nazi worshipping purposes anyway.

Town's ripe for a face punchin'.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Corey Fleischer, who goes around Montreal removing hateful graffiti, tried to paint over the swastikas.
    Ah vandalism, you know no bounds.

People need to stop trying to erase the past.

I think Mr Fleischer is someone who should mind his own damn business if the town in question does not appreciate his self-righteous vandalism. If people feel unsafe because there's an old relic with a swastika nearby, grow a pair.

A "piece of history", huh? Nazism is also a piece of history, and I see everyone under the sun rightfully eradicate every sign of it.

You lefties shouldn't be scared of the right when it comes to nazi resurgence, you should be scared of french-speaking Quebecers!

10+ Year Old Account
    He contradicts himself with this one: However, Mr Fleischer says older meaning is irrelevant and the symbol on the anchor is clearly one of Nazi Germany., in addition forgetting current context.
    Is this town the stage of an ideological struggle between two antagonistic sides? Is it's population displaying support for any of the sides? Is the population supportive of nazi ideology?

If older meaning is irrelevant, an incorrect assertion since this "older meaning" is still religiously valid, then one may assume its meaning as a nazi symbol is irrelevant as well. Why? Cause its connotation as a nazi symbol has nothing to do with some canadian town. If the mayor (and the population) choose to appropriate it in any way they see fit besides as a nazi symbol, then who is this fellow to say what they can or not do?

So when are we going to get to the point where these people start storming museums and smashing/destroying things they deem "offensive"?

People collect Nazi memorabilia... and they ain't [Neo] Nazis...

This is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    So when are we going to get to the point where these people start storming museums and smashing/destroying things they deem "offensive"?
    Museum only had to keep the offensive stuff out. They were asking for it.
    Or should I say "Ils demander pour ca fromage, le Heil tabernacle!"

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    The part about moving it to a museum I can sort of agree with, but painting over them? No.

I find this famous quote has become very relevant and worthy of repeat in recent years:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
    -George Santayana

If we remove any and all mementos of points in history we'd rather didn't happen, people will in large part forget in just a few generations. At that point there's no historical experience to pull from if similar events are to unfold.

As an aside, we have a somewhat famous wrought iron gate in Oslo (see spoiler below) that serves as the entrance to what was once a hydro-electric company. This was erected before the Nazis came to power, and has nothing to do with them at all. At that time the swastika was commonly depicting a water turbine, not to mention its ties to the sun. There are stories of Nazi germans discovering this during the world war and getting their pictures taken there, etc.

Spoiler: 

I'd hate for that gate to be destroyed or otherwise removed, tbh. It's a historical piece, and although not its intended association, it still serves as a reminder of a historical event that can never again happen.
    Well excuuuse me, Princess.

You are now breathing manually.