Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Doesn't a "Pardon" include admitting guilt along other stuff? So it is official, that Arpaio IS a racist shithead, but the president, and some of the population just don't give a shit?

So Trump's first pardon is a person who systematically tortures minorities and lets child rapists get away with their crimes... About par for the course for Trump, pro-sexual assault and pro-racism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this an admission of guilt? Surely he opens him self up for all kinds of civil claims?

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Doesn't a "Pardon" include admitting guilt along other stuff? So it is official, that Arpaio IS a racist shithead, but the president, and some of the population just don't give a shit?
    Basically yes. In the supreme court case Burdick v US that if you are offered a pardon you don't have to take it in order to get around self incrimination. Based on the language the court used its implied that if you take it you are basically admitting guilt.

It is to be borne in mind that the power of the President under the Constitution to grant pardons and the right of a witness must be kept in accommodation. Both have sanction in the Constitution, and it should, therefore, be the anxiety of the law to preserve both,-to leave to each its proper place. In this as in other conflicts between personal rights and the powers of government, technical-even nice distinctions are proper to be regarded. Granting, then, that the pardon was legally issued and was sufficient for immunity, it was Burdick's right to refuse it, as we have seen; and it, therefore, not becoming effective, his right under the Constitution to decline to testify remained to be asserted; and the reasons for his action were personal. It is true we have said (Brown v. Walker, 161 U.S. 601, 605, 40 L. ed. 822, 824, 5 Inters. Com. Rep. 369, 16 Sup. Ct. Rep. 644) that the law regards only mere penal consequences, and not 'the personal disgrace or opprobrium attaching to the exposure' of crime, but certainly such consequence may influence the assertion or relinquishment of a right. This consideration is not out of place in the case at bar. If it be objected that the sensitiveness of Burdick was extreme because his refusal to answer was itself an implication of crime, we answer, not necessarily in fact, not at all in theory of law. It supposed only a possibility of a charge of crime, and interposed protection against the charge, and, reaching beyond it, against furnishing what might be urged or used as evidence to support it.

This brings us to the differences between legislative immunity and a pardon. They are substantial. The latter carries an imputation of guilt; acceptance a confession of it. The former has no such imputation or confession. It is tantamount to the silence of the witness. It is noncommittal. It is the unobtrusive act of the law given protection against a sinister use of his testimony, not like a pardon, requiring him to confess his guilt in order to avoid a conviction of it.
    Last edited by akris15; 2017-08-26 at 09:40 AM.

Deleted
    An all American hero got pardoned because the Democrats at the time tried to get him for protecting American citizens from illegal aliens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be interesting to get a list of Trump actions and compared them to past President mistakes. He seems to be scoring high on that front, guess you got to take a win where you can and it's not like his image will get any better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    An all American hero got pardoned because the Democrats at the time tried to get him for protecting American citizens from illegal aliens.
    Well i guess that's correct, can't get more american then mistreating immigrants or just minorities in general looking at natives, blacks and so on

10+ Year Old Account
    "Convicted by a court" = "Democrats tried to get him"

Get a life. He's a convicted criminal that handcuffs pregnant women in labor to beds.
    Eat yo vegetables

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Welcome to the 4'th Reich.
    Hm technically it would be the 1st Reich, American Edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    ^ not really, the counting doesn't account for location.
    Depends... as the nazi propaganda proclaimed it the second reich was that of the german empire, so the short time period between 1871-1918. The holy roman empire was the first reich. All three of them was germany or the german empire at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ not really, the counting doesn't account for location.
    I can see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan Turmp
    1/2 We're never fourth. We're the best reich. The top I tell you. We'll have companies begging us to work with them. So many companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolan Turmp
    2/2The top, the brightest gas companies. Fourth? You're not trying. Sad! #MAGA
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I'm beyond stunned. I shouldn't be with deplorable dipshit defurher dumbfounding degrading degenerate destructive dangerous demeaning deprave depressing despondant deviate Dumbass Donnie J-for-Jackass Dump!

You will see that I never commented in this thread at all. Honestly, I didn't believe he'd be that dumb. THIS was the one thing I held onto believing that the "media" might've actually made up this rumor to make Dump look bad. The ONE thing I was going to lean into believing the Alt-Reicht with possibly just creating gossip.

Holyshit... I mean - holyfuckingshit! o_O

This is fucking unbelievable... does he REALLY want to start a fucking Civil war!? Is this REALLY his fucking endgame plan here!? o_O

- - - Updated - - -

Ummm... be specific. Which one? The one where Dumbass Dump makes a dumbass decision, or the one where Dumbass Dump makes another Dumbass Decision?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he's setting up this fuckwit crooked piece of shit cop to be Muller's replacement when he eventually fires him. >_<
    Jeez, Mvallas, you are going to have a damn stroke if you don't relax.

Listen, dude. I didn't vote for Trump, I voted for Bernie in the primary and then held my nose and voted for Clinton in the general. She lost. Oh freaking well. Life goes on. I don't obsess on this sht 24/7. Just a thought, dude. All this anger is gonna burn you up.
    Last edited by Realitytrembles; 2017-08-26 at 01:32 PM.

sigh, fucking typical.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The cult of ignorance will rejoice. The world's best known Birther pradons the 2nd best known birther. Birthers of a feather flock together! (terrible).

- - - Updated - - -

The dude broke the law. Why do you support people being above the law? Because of partisan reasons? Sad.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    What does this tell law enforcement that wants media attention or at least to nuzzle on Trump balls?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Jeez, Mvallas, you are going to have a damn stroke if you don't relax.

Listen, dude. I didn't vote for Trump, I voted for Bernie in the primary and then held my nose and voted for Clinton in the general. She lost. Oh freaking well. Life goes on. I don't obsess on this sht 24/7. Just a thought, dude. All this anger is gonna burn you up.
    Just a thought... but, telling people to care less, after someone becomes president, means your voting was superficial. It means you were only there for the event and didn't actually give a shit about what was being discussed. So... tighten that fedora and get psyched for another day at the coloring book coffee shop! YeY! Don't cowabunga your self dude!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Saying "these people I'm defending are bad...but these people are worse!" is the literal definition of whataboutism.
    Not to mention that Robert Byrd has repeatedly apologized for being a member of the KKK and has done so much in remorse that the NAACP has actually awarded him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Conor McGregor View Post
    it was one study done with 300 people. hardly sound science
    You know . . .

I hope Mayweather wins.
    Putin khuliyo

Why is anyone surprised at this point. Its clear Trump wants to fuel a war, Its just not a war that will be overseas.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    So what makes you consider him an American hero?
    Because he hates Mexicans. Makes him a hero in his eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    Basically yes. In the supreme court case Burdick v US that if you are offered a pardon you don't have to take it in order to get around self incrimination. Based on the language the court used its implied that if you take it you are basically admitting guilt.
    We can all only hope now that his vast list of victims sue him into oblivion. Leaving him a broken destitute man wandering the streets without even the shirt on his back. Just about the least that can happen to that fucking monster Arpaio.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Wait, why didn't dumbass Twitler just wait till the sentencing? Arpaio might have gotten a slap on the wrist. Now he's still guilty, but Trump takes yet another PR hit.
    PR doesn't matter at all to him, because he's long been protected by the Bed of Nails effect - there's such an overwhelmingly large number of things wrong with him that it's hard for people to really focus on any one thing. It all just becomes noise, and at that point it's easy for his dopey base (who aren't our best and brightest folks, they've got LOTS of problems) to just dismiss it all. And speaking of his base, this'll be one more thing that lets them sleep easy at night, knowing that no matter what they do to people of color, the POTUS has their back.

So, it's win-win for him. Just like his horrid actions always are.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Just a thought... but, telling people to care less, after someone becomes president, means your voting was superficial. It means you were only there for the event and didn't actually give a shit about what was being discussed. So... tighten that fedora and get psyched for another day at the coloring book coffee shop! YeY! Don't cowabunga your self dude!
    He also doesn't realize I was JUST comming off the news of Dumbass Dump pardoning that fuckwit. I actually meant it when I said I was trying to give him some credit, despite everything he's done, that I thought this was just media hype... but it wasn't. >_<

Yeah, I don't blair out like that everytime. And thx for backing me up, although I do believe he has a point. Short version, I NEVER want to become as idiotic and zealotly hateful as the Dumpsters are - and that's what I believe he was saying (or at least trying to say :P). Indeed, it's why I'm making it a vow that if the Muller investigation truns up (by some insane miracle at this point) that Dumbass Don-Don didn't do anything wrong that I'll simply move on and re-double down on his actual catastrophic performance more than normal. I refuse to be a ignorant "LOCK HER UP" savage who ignores the results of goddess knows how many investigations into her simply because her name is Clinton, and she was running for president as a Democrat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I hope Mayweather wins.
    MacGregor might literally die.

- - - Updated - - -

Arizona's largest newspaper slams Arpaio pardon

Arizona's largest newspaper issued a scathing rebuke of President Trump's decision to pardon former Maricopa Counter Sheriff Joe Arpaio on Friday, calling the action an "insult" and a "slap to the Latino community."

The Arizona Republic's editorial board argued that the pardoning of Arpaio is a sign that Trump is not backing down from his populist, tough-on-immigration stances.

The editorial calls Trump's Friday pardon of the controversial former sheriff an "insult" to the Latino community, as well as the legal community.

"The vast majority of Latinos in Arizona are not undocumented, yet they all fell under heightened scrutiny as Arpaio honed his image," the editorial reads.

"The pardon was a slap to those who worked through the judicial system to make Arpaio accountable, too. It robbed the people hurt by his policies of justice – even before a judge could mete out a sentence," the piece continued.

Arpaio was found guilty of racially profiling Latinos, and was convicted last month of criminal contempt for disobeying a judge's order to stop the practice.

"By pardoning Arpaio, Trump made it clear that institutional racism is not just OK with him. It is a goal," the publication's editorial board wrote.

"That should trouble every American who believes that our duty as a nation is to continue working on behalf of equal justice," the board added.

Trump pardon of Arpaio, who was an early backer of his campaign, prompted criticism from Arizona's two GOP senators as well as the mayor of Phoenix.
    - - - Updated - - -

This is the guy who resigned rather than be Trump's ethics director.

Trump's Arpaio pardon a sign of 'worse to come'

The former director of the Office of Government Ethics ripped President Trump for pardoning controversial former Maricopa County, Ariz. Sheriff Joe Arpaio, calling it “vile” and a “racist, pro-authoritarian gesture.”

“What POTUS says ‘exemplifies selfless public service’ is: dehumanizing inmates, racial profiling, and gleefully defying a court order,” Walter Shaub tweeted Friday night. “Every one of you WH staffers owns this disgusting, un-American, racist pro-authoritarian gesture forever like it was tattooed on your forehead.”

“This pardon also departs from procedural norms. And as an affirmative act by POTUS, it reveals an emboldening. A harbinger of worse to come.”

Shaub then linked to the Department of Justice’s webpage detailing the process for considering a pardon, and singled out the section entitled “acceptance of responsibility, remorse and atonement.”