Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valuable Poster View Post
    No it isn't.

You can't give item with better stats than "normal levelling quest stuff" and + 10% EXP, if you want people to enjoy levelling.

Give just a flat passive "exp increase" but let the player gear with the quest item, otherwise he will skip all and gg but then don't come there opening a thread "How we can fix levelling" if nobody bothers doing in the normal way.
    Sure you can. Most of the gear in leveling process is horrible anyway. You get very little power from them and most often in the later stages of leveling, the gear simply does not matter, especially if you do normal questing. Even Ion "Watcher" have talked about this and how little gear from lvl to lvl actually increases your power during leveling. Heirlooms work great together with dungeon leveling and lets you just sell 90% of all the items you get instantly.

I don't think gear has to be the big reward during leveling and i think that you can make the leveling experience alot of fun even with a full set of heirlooms.
    You are right, that there is proberly something wrong if nobody dosent bother doing the leveling the old way, but people will still do it and still does, and it should not stop us from trying to improve the leveling experience in other ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I like the leveling how it is right now, save for Northrend. Don't know why but it's the slowest, most boring shitfest to deal with when leveling alts. Maybe fix that and it'd be fine for me.
    Well.... With a wide scaling, you could just ignore the Wrath shit! Great fix
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

To make leveling more meaningful:

Make everything scale up to (expansion prior to current's max level). If this worked right now, everything would scale up to level 100.
    Zones have a minimum level to enter. Reduce a lot of zones' minimum level.
    Turn past expansions into alternative paths. Instead of levelin TBC -> WotLK -> Cata -> MoP -> WoD, you could choose one of them at some point and level up entirely on it. Once a new expansion is out, the last one is included into this path choice.

To make leveling more interesting:

Turn the skill grimoire into a "Skill Tree". It would work much like past Talent Trees (or Artifact Tree), but the idea is that by (former expansion's max level), you have completed the tree, so everyone has the same skills and skill upgrades when they start the new expansion's content. This would allow you to ge a new skill point every level, and choose how you want to gain/upgrade skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Quest/world Revamp, update the story to be relevant to the expansion add world quests/bonus objectives to every zone, also have special events every few hours in a different zone similar to the pre-legion Invasions.

Add level scaling so that you can never outlevel a storyline. Quests relevant until max level. This way you can level every character completely differently with a different selection of zones.
    Close to what I would have said as well. Unfortunately, it's probably unrealistic to expect Azeroth questing to always be relevant to the current expansion and I don't want another Cata situation where the world is stuck in past events that don't make any sense with the present time line. Therefore, I'd have each zone as a story arc unto its own that is reasonably timeless. I'd also create dynamic events.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Hello guys/girls, I am an older WoW player who quit during Cataclysm, and I have recently started playing again. Although Legion gives you a free lvl 100 boost, I decided to level the traditional way, to see what has changed since I last played. Alas, I've found that the leveling experience is a complete mess imho: stories are all over the place, you outlevel the zone you are playing in *way* before you can complete the main story, not to mention the need to trudge through Outland and Northrend and the corresponding gaps in the game story... and some really cringy jokes along the way. Uldum comes to mind... /facepalm

Once you arrive to Pandaria, the issue is far less pressing, and in the WoD/Legion zones things start to make way more sense. Even if I am really enjoying this xpac, I cannot help but to think how off-putting might be to level for a brand new player. So, I'd like to ask you guys, since I've been lurking these boards for quite some time, and I've seen very smart suggestions. How would you fix leveling in WoW (if you think it needs fixing, ofc)?
    You just make every zone up until tbc flat experience. So no matter what you gain experience up to 60. Do the same for the next expansions afterwards. Then people can playthrough whatever zone they like or can finish metas without having to do the remaining quests for free. Maybe put zones in chapters like they did in wod and give a bonus for completing the zone also.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-08-27 at 01:48 PM.

I would get rid of xp and make every ten levels a storyline in a zone followed by a scenario that would make you use the skills you just leant. Be it cc, mobility, and or proper rotation.

I would have leveling teach you how to play the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Close to what I would have said as well. Unfortunately, it's probably unrealistic to expect Azeroth questing to always be relevant to the current expansion and I don't want another Cata situation where the world is stuck in past events that don't make any sense with the present time line. Therefore, I'd have each zone as a story arc unto its own that is reasonably timeless. I'd also create dynamic events.
    Understandable and I agree. Perhaps a timeless storyline would be better. Though I would suggest events similar to the legion invasions that are relevant to the current expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Who needs heirlooms if you need to do long quest chains to get any gear? Quest gear is very rare.
    And would you run a dungeon with a tank or healer who has a mish-mash of gear that is 15-30 levels lower than he or plain empty slots?
    Your idea is absurd.
    It seems you didn't play during classic wow.

Also if quest is that rare, they can change it can't they?
    Last edited by Sanguinerd; 2017-08-27 at 02:21 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakchaw View Post
    It seems you didn't play during classic wow.
    As if your vanilla experience is anyhow relevant in 2017.
    Game is supposed to move forward not stay in abominable condition, interesting only to small bunch of retro lovers.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

Mythic plus leveling. Before legion people used to say dungeons were too easy, now they have a mode which is literally impossible.
    Long and short of it is make mobs crease health and damage with each +level and make them have mechanics like bolstering etc to avoid aoeing.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Remove "levels" outright. Focus on creating quests and experiences for the sake of them, rather than letting me fetch 12 bear asses to fill up an xp bar. Take pieces from the artifact system and work them into a progression tied to all types of content.

The only problem I have with leveling is that I've been doing it since 05 and I'm fucking sick of doing it, but not willing to pay 60 dollars for a boost. I'd like to see something like what Guild Wars 2 has where you sometimes get a scroll that gives you XP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimewave View Post
    As if your vanilla experience is anyhow relevant in 2017.
    Game is supposed to move forward not stay in abominable condition, interesting only to small bunch of retro lovers.
    He quoted me, I replied like that hinting "it worked fine like that doing classic". Maybe bother to learn the context?

Thanks for that passive aggressive attitude though, always a pleasure to see.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I hate quest leveling.

I like world quest leveling.

If you can wq level, I will like it more.
    Wq's are based on leveling quest so insteed of moving on you want to do the same quest's over and over

I've never understood these complaints about leveling. If you feel out leveling the zone before the story ends is a problem, then just finish the damn zone. If you care about story more than leveling then you'll hit max level in Northrend probably. You can't complete all the quests for the story in the game and not expect to out level. There are probably close to 20,000 quests in the game now (for story), and you only need a small fraction of that to level.

Everyone says scaling is the solution, yet in Legion, I got to max level without even doing Stormheim or Highmountain.

If you expect story fracture to be a problem (Outland, Northrend), then what you are asking for is Blizzard to do another Cataclysm and redo the world.

Just level your damn character to max as quick as possible. When you put bitching aside, that's all anyone really wants to do anyways.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakchaw View Post
    He quoted me, I replied like that hinting "it worked fine like that doing classic". Maybe bother to learn the context?

Thanks for that passive aggressive attitude though, always a pleasure to see.
    You used word "classic", instantly triggered keyboard smashing bloodlust. Just can't resist.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I've never understood these complaints about leveling. If you feel out leveling the zone before the story ends is a problem, then just finish the damn zone. If you care about story more than leveling then you'll hit max level in Northrend probably. You can't complete all the quests for the story in the game and not expect to out level. There are probably close to 20,000 quests in the game now (for story), and you only need a small fraction of that to level.

Everyone says scaling is the solution, yet in Legion, I got to max level without even doing Stormheim or Highmountain.

If you expect story fracture to be a problem (Outland, Northrend), then what you are asking for is Blizzard to do another Cataclysm and redo the world.

Just level your damn character to max as quick as possible. When you put bitching aside, that's all anyone really wants to do anyways.
    I think we all just really want to get max lvl and have fun at end-game, but what is wrong with wanting to have fun while leveling aswell?

I understand that scaling has some problems when it comes to creating a cohesive story and that in Legion it did leave something wanting, but Blizzard have already made it clear, that they don't really give a crap about having the leveling process make sense when it comes to story, so why not just let people jump around as they please? Some of the best questing ever made is in places like Netherstorm, Shadowmoon Valley, Icecrown and Twllight Highlands, but these zones are nearly impossible to completly if you still want good exp. I really don't think you should ask the player to choose between doing fun content and actually getting up in lvl fast.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would make a "the story so far" chain.

A single quest chain, complete with all the main quest lines, solo dungeons, scenarios, AND raids that just tell the story of WoW so far. Not as important as an overall questline, but I would also revert the changes to vanilla leveling, or at least change them again so they don't focus on Deathwing.

Just give them a distinguishing quest marker, like red or green or something... Then let people know, if you follow the red quest markers it alone will take you through the entirety of WoW's story so far, and provide you with enough XP to reach current content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimewave View Post
    You used word "classic", instantly triggered keyboard smashing bloodlust. Just can't resist.
    I have the same thing when people use "vanilla" the hipster way of saying it.

Deleted
    Level scaling 1-100 so you can go where the hell you want to go

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Level scaling across all zones with minimal level restrictions staying the same. Most mobs HP and damage should be multiplied by at least 3. Heirlooms should be deleted from the game.
    Instead of removing the heirlooms, why not make the mobs be more dangerous for heirloomed players?
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar