What do you think of the Wolf, Sheep, and Sheepdog analogy?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...g_history.html

https://sofrep.com/19541/sheepdogs-f...on-in-schools/

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2013/0...-sheepdog.html

I think it is simplistic. I believe all of us possess the capacity to kill and be killed. I believe this analogy makes us insensitive about other world events, as well as not care about what's happening in our own country, and that would be good for the powers that be.

I want don't want a society where cops and soldiers think they are better than the average citizen! I believe in the citizen soldier ideal and I believe the creation of a warrior class separated and isolated from the rest of society is bad.

This analogy assumes most people are sheep who have no ability for self defense! Americans should be insulted by this! This is a nation founded on the citizen soldier ideal!

Only simpletons fall for this kind of stuff.

Deleted
    I have a longer than average attention span, but... are you expecting anyone to fully watch a 48-minute video on a discussion forum when there's no summary or time markers of the most important bits given?

It's complete rubbish.

But if it were true, I'd add the proviso that the sheepdogs are just wolves that are kidding others or themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'm going to assume this is the same analogy they used in American Sniper. Basically there are sheep (the general populace), wolves (dangerous people looking to do harm), and sheepdogs (dangerous people, but who are protecting the sheep).

Yeah I feel that makes sense. The point of this analogy is to highlight why having people doing violence on your behalf is important to your safety. We can be peace-loving hippies, but if we don't have the sheepdogs to combat the wolves, we're just easy lunch.

Technically - EVERYONE is a dog/wolf. The sheep are used in the analogy to represent the majority of western society who just work in an office and play video games all day - really we should all have some teeth for our own sake.

Almost anyone can be a sheepdog in the right circumstances.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I'm going to assume this is the same analogy they used in American Sniper. Basically there are sheep (the general populace), wolves (dangerous people looking to do harm), and sheepdogs (dangerous people, but who are protecting the sheep).

Yeah I feel that makes sense. The point of this analogy is to highlight why having people doing violence on your behalf is important to your safety. We can be peace-loving hippies, but if we don't have the sheepdogs to combat the wolves, we're just easy lunch.

Technically - EVERYONE is a dog/wolf. The sheep are used in the analogy to represent the majority of western society who just work in an office and play video games all day - really we should all have some teeth for our own sake.
    In other words: si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, you need to be prepared for war.

We recently had our first official Islamic terrorist attack when a refugee killed two and wounded six others with a knife. People reacted in different ways. Others panicked, screamed and ran; others were paralyzed and collapsed in fear; others were "phew, luckily he didn't attack me!" and took selfies; others rushed to help the victims; and a few tried to stop the attacker and chased him away, and some even pursued him until the police cut his escape route and shot him in the balls (literally) while he was about to attack another woman (he was targeting women specifically).

A few more "sheepdogs" with even basic combat training, and the first victim might well have been the last.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    My sheep dog can't even kill the giant green beetles we get this time of year.

No matter how well a country or society performs or how happy its general pop. is, there will always be a loner wolf among a 1000 so people.

I think wolves are formed from people getting angry at the things they cant change. I've noticed a trend among many lone killers and terrorists that they are all ugly (Which is why it was a huge "Waait whaaa-" moment when the Bostom bomber was an attractive young guy). They are born ugly, incapable of changing it thus feeling they were born into and always will be a pseudo-second class citizen of sorts. In the US anyways, being ugly is pretty much a death sentence if you want to find a nice career, a nice family... No offense to anyone who thinks themselves ugly people.

Though its not just looks, can be people who are poor and just blame others for it, or raised in a violent environment that desensitized them to committing harm to others.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    In the US anyways, being ugly is pretty much a death sentence if you want to find a nice career, a nice family... No offense to anyone who thinks themselves ugly people.
    An ugly personality, maybe.

There are plenty of Quasimodo looking motherfuckers with good careers/families/etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    No matter how well a country or society performs or how happy its general pop. is, there will always be a loner wolf among a 1000 so people.

I think wolves are formed from people getting angry at the things they cant change. I've noticed a trend among many lone killers and terrorists that they are all ugly (Which is why it was a huge "Waait whaaa-" moment when the Bostom bomber was an attractive young guy). They are born ugly, incapable of changing it thus feeling they were born into and always will be a pseudo-second class citizen of sorts. In the US anyways, being ugly is pretty much a death sentence if you want to find a nice career, a nice family... No offense to anyone who thinks themselves ugly people.

Though its not just looks, can be people who are poor and just blame others for it, or raised in a violent environment that desensitized them to committing harm to others.
    Hold up, is the Incel thing spreading here now?

10+ Year Old Account
    A simple philosophy for simple people.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Hold up, is the Incel thing spreading here now?
    I am nervous of incels honestly. Think of how fuck-centric the male brain is, especially around 18-25 range. All that pent up frustration that nobody wants them must be mind-wracking. Then they look and see all the guys with no problem or full of confidence that they themselves do not have.

I don't know how incels talk, so idk if what I said is an incel way of mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where do cheerleaders fit into this? Are they a wolf, sheep or sheepdog?

Deleted
    I don't take it to mean only military and police. Anyone can be a sheepdog as long as they are trying to protect the weak/defenseless from the wolves of the world.