Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    to the 2 sun thing on dreanor. I mean it is plausible to think that the sun really is some god of light or something, worshipped by the apexis or something.
    maybe we dont see 2 suns on dreanor because void shit blackened it out or something?
    I am not saying that i am convinced of either side of the argument, i just want to clarify that if blizzards wants OP's story to happen, there are a bunch of ways to explain it without retconning everything.
    And honestly I like OPs idea, I think it makes K'aresh more connected to the story of warcraft and also to find a reason why we would even go to the homeplace of the ethereals in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Enschee View Post
    to the 2 sun thing on dreanor. I mean it is plausible to think that the sun really is some god of light or something, worshipped by the apexis or something.
    maybe we dont see 2 suns on dreanor because void shit blackened it out or something?
    I am not saying that i am convinced of either side of the argument, i just want to clarify that if blizzards wants OP's story to happen, there are a bunch of ways to explain it without retconning everything.
    Yeah, this is what I meant by it being plausible to handwave it away. To Aquamonkey's credit, it is the hardest point to reconcile with my theory. Frankly, though, I don't think it's something that Blizzard would let stop them.

And thanks! I felt the same way about it being more interconnected with Warcraft lore this way which is why I presented it.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    Perhaps the second sun moves with K'aresh so during the day time, two suns are visible, and during the "night", one sun is visible. Therefore, night on Draenor would be entirely unaffected. A land of eternal daylight, especially one being invaded by the Void, could make a very interesting setting.

A smaller, dimmer star also could be an artifical star.
    It is unlikely that a sun that never sets would be considered the "second" sun.

Something as bright and high in the sky as a "second sun" would still be visible from the Draenor continent even if it perpetually sat above "K'aresh". The SW sky would always be lit up (like dusk/dawn) from the Draenor continent's perspective if they couldn't just plain see the "second sun" itself.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2017-08-23 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post

Something as bright and high in the sky as a "second sun" would still be visible from the Draenor continent even if it perpetually sat above "K'aresh". The SW sky would always be lit up (like dusk/dawn) from the Draenor continent's perspective if they couldn't just plain see the "second sun" itself.
    What would you call it, then?

As for it being visible from Draenor, you are assuming that the "small" distance on the map of Draenor between the two continents is accurate. That sea may be an ocean for all we know.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would you call it, then?
    From a cultural perspective the sun that never sets would be the primary; probably representing the main deity. The real sun that sets and returns would be more likely to have the subservient role.

As for it being visible from Draenor, you are assuming that the "small" distance on the map of Draenor between the two continents is accurate. That sea may be an ocean for all we know.
    If you want to throw out all sense of scale on the map... Everything else about the map is proportional.

Deleted

A sun doesn't have to set to be a sun. Aridity also doesn't depend on number of suns at all.

After chronicles vol 2, Draenor is pretty much confirmed to be the only continent on the planet. Panel statement from 2013 can be dismissed as scrapped plans at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Well, sure, they could retcon it or decide that by "Destroyed" that only meant "all life died" or something. But currently, there's at least two mentions of the Ethereal homeworld being actually destroyed to some inhabitable point. The void lords most certainly destroyed it while the Ethereals still lived there, too.
    Considering that humanoidish bipedal flesh beings were stripped of their physical beings and became living energy barely contained into a coherent shape I'd strongly go with the "all life died" route. K'aresh is probably a lifeless barren rock floating in the Great Dark Beyond with nothing but void elementals if they're even there. I'd figure once they've destroyed all life they'd move on to find more life to destroy. It's their shtick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    A sun doesn't have to set to be a sun.
    Yes, that would make the planet tidally locked to the sun in the natural case. This whole thread is about an artificial sun only for the hypothetical K'aresh continent on the Draenor planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Aridity also doesn't depend on number of suns at all.
    I never said it did...

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    After chronicles vol 2, Draenor is pretty much confirmed to be the only continent on the planet. Panel statement from 2013 can be dismissed as scrapped plans at this point.
    That continent still made it to the live map of Draenor in WoD.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2017-08-24 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Here's evidence, from Chronicle Vol. 2, to the contrary:

Chronicle Vol. 2, pg. 38, fourth paragraph - "The Gorian Empire slowly expanded over generations...Cities sprang up throughout the world's continents"

Deleted
    3. Blizzard would never have us go back to Draenor after the fiasco that was WoD. This one is more subjective, but as I recall, the initial reception to WoD was very positive, even through the leveling experience. Only at Endgame did the cracks begin to show. Therefore, WoD's main issue wasn't necessarily the setting but, rather, the poorly designed and supported Endgame. While the time-travel is often brought up as problematic, connecting Draenor to Outland and exploring their connection through Archmage Vargoth's connection to both Netherstorm and Farahlon, through the Infinite Dragonflight, or even through an all-consuming, dimension-transcending Void could actually make Draenor interesting and relevant.
    People should stop using this retarded argument. Warlords of Draenor was a good decision, it brought masses of people back and took the franchise back to its roots. At first it extremely well.

The only problem with the expansion, just like what happened with Cataclysm (the other badly received expansion) is the amount of content being cut, rushed content, story having loose ends, etc. It's a result of bad management inside Blizzard's company. Probably people not communicating properly, people working on different things, no cohesion in the teams, people having conflicting ideas, etc. It means all the work went to shit.

All of this does not mean the decision of going to Draenor and seeing the old Orc clans and such was a bad decision and should be forgotten. Some people like to be loud and claim such things, but the problem isn't the setting of the expansion. The problem is the amount of cut and rushed content.

So we can safely go back to Draenor without people whining. Their arguments make no sense and are solely based on gut feelings.

That's not some fan theory, it was explicitly stated by Blizzard.
    Originally Posted by Tom Chilton
    So in the corner, you've got at the very bottom left down there, that's the mysterious ogre continent. The ogres came from Draenor. The ogres at this time were at the height of their empire. Their empire exists mostly on the continent down to the south, but their influence has spread to Draenor and you'll see one really epic city built of the ogres. (BlizzCon2013)

Chronicle also says that the ogre empire spread "throughout the world's continents."

The ethereals only came to Outland to steal treasure.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Treading the chaotic spaces between worlds, the ethereals are astral travelers who dwell within the Twisting Nether. They are known to be collectors and traders of arcane items and artifacts. Now drawn to Outland, many ethereals are seeking to track down its treasures and steal them back into the Twisting Nether. (TBC Townhall)

The only reason Dimensius is in Outland is because the explosion of Manaforge Ultris caused a tear in the fabric of reality allowing void creatures to come through.

Nothing states that K'aresh was destroyed. Those portals opened by Dimensius didn't bust open K'aresh, they were used to bathe the world in arcane and Void energies. The ethereals were transformed by the flood of arcane (having successfully blocked the Void). The planet itself was fine, they fled years later when Dimensius summoned armies of void creatures.

This is nonsensical. A star in the sky can't even compare to another sun in the sky. Nothing that would be considered a sun would only be visible from one continent and not another that is so relatively close as UK and France.
    We really need an Aquamonkey appreciation thread. I can never be sure if you're another human behind a computer screen like me, or a WowPedia AI that went rogue and developed sentience.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthecrop View Post
    Dimensius is not a void-lord.[Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire] says Dimensius is one of the void lords' manifestations, which she describes as "fragments, shadows, the faintest of echoes" of her masters. In other words, like any other void creatures, it's a fragment/echo, it is just a particularly powerful one.
    Xal is very charismatic but what it says isnt automatically canon.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

It would feel to cheap. Introduce pieces of a proper planet instead like Argus. Then make us travel through time at some places on this planet where we experience the story of how Ethereals came to be.

Deleted
    K'aresh is a planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Xal is very charismatic but what it says isnt automatically canon.
    How is Xal'atath non-canon? All of what's in game pretty much is canon.

An expansion concept based on K'aresh
    #TeamK'aresh #TeamWorldRevamp

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalar View Post
    True but how much what Xal'atath says is true(As in boasting/lying).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

This is nonsensical. A star in the sky can't even compare to another sun in the sky. Nothing that would be considered a sun would only be visible from one continent and not another that is so relatively close as UK and France.
    While I agree with everything you said, its not totally impossible. We don't really know how big the other continent/s are, they could wrap around to the other side of the planet and they could always come up with something dumb like a titan facility/space station locked in orbit over the other continent/s as an experiment to see how being bathed in light or arcane magic would effect half the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalar View Post
    It says right on the tin. "Ignore its maddening whispers. Do not trust the lies it spins."

10+ Year Old Account
    Being Xal'atath's sayings a lie doesn't mean they're non-canon. I mean, whatever happens in game is canon, even if it's a lie.

I personally don't think she's lying at all, though. Foreshadowing is pretty much like prophecies. We dunno if they're gonna happen at all, but they're still there, thus canon.

An expansion concept based on K'aresh
    #TeamK'aresh #TeamWorldRevamp