Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Memphis theater pulls Gone with the Wind after complaints that the Civil War classic

Gone With The Wind' has been pulled from a Memphis theater after patrons complained the 1939 Civil War classic is racially insensitive.
    The Orpheum Theatre Group made the decision after patrons took issue with the screening of the movie starring Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara on August 11.
    'As an organization whose stated mission is to 'entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves', the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,' the theater's operators said in a statement according to News Ch. 3.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4rJmXzrlk

What do you guys think about this ?

"Gone With the Wind" will not be shown in the future by a Tennessee theater that decided it was "insensitive" to many in the local community.

The 1939 movie, which marked the first Oscar win by a black actor, depicts a romanticized view of slavery and life on a Southern plantation before, during and after the Civil War.

"Gone With the Wind," which won 10 Academy Awards in 1940, including for best picture, had been shown by the Orpheum Theatre Group for years as part of an annual Summer Movie Series, according to Memphis' Commercial-Appeal. At times, it was screened more than once a year, the paper said. This year, however, a different climate prevailed.

“The recent screening of ‘Gone With the Wind’ at the Orpheum on Friday, Aug. 11, 2017, generated numerous comments,” Brett Batterson, president of the theater group, said Friday in a statement (via the New York Times).

“The Orpheum carefully reviewed all of them. As an organization whose stated mission is to ‘entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves,’ the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population.”

The majority of Memphis residents are black, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html

Well, if you audience is mostly black....

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rukya View Post
    Gone With The Wind' has been pulled from a Memphis theater after patrons complained the 1939 Civil War classic is racially insensitive.
    The Orpheum Theatre Group made the decision after patrons took issue with the screening of the movie starring Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara on August 11.
    'As an organization whose stated mission is to 'entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves', the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,' the theater's operators said in a statement according to News Ch. 3.

I think this is ridiculous and stupid as hell and it's on par with censoring words from a Mark Twain book.

But it's the theater's call so whatever.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    I think this is ridiculous and stupid as hell and it's on par with censoring words from a Mark Twain book.

But it's the theater's call so whatever.
    I'd call censoring Mark Twain's books much more senseless, seeing as they have a decidedly pro-civil rights message.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-08-31 at 08:25 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Well, it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    SJW - 1: common sense - 0.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    If your audience is mostly black you're not gonna show them a story in which black slavery was all roses and moonshine.

That would be like me telling the OP I did his mom and she liked it.
    So why didnt they cry about 12 years slave then?

Right the director was black

10+ Year Old Account

The contention isn't about movies featuring slavery, it's about movies trying to paint over slavery with a "being owned as property wasn't all that bad..." angle.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

As a Jew I am offended by movies set in ancient Egypt.

I think that it's a great example of how people who say there's no slippery slope to fuss about when it comes to flags and monuments are either lying or ignorant. There's pretty clearly a push to scrub any positive references to the antebellum South from memory; it does make one wonder whether it will be followed by anything about the Founders. Except Hamilton, of course - he's been sainted.

Deleted
    The showings of pieces like this in a museum-like environment, with an organized forum for discussing and contextualizing slavery, is a power they're choosing to surrender.
    People don't want to talk about racism: it's tiring and uncomfortable. Removing this opportunity is bending the knee to their demand. It's refusing their mission to "educate and enlighten the communities it serves". What a bunch of pathetic cowards.
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-08-31 at 12:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Was that movie played in this same theater?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Does that mean EVERY SINGLE MOVIE that has a Nazi or swastika in it needs to be banned to protect them?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I find it ridiculous that people try to censor movies and TV Shows. We're eventually going to get to the point where only Disney/Pixar movies are allowed to be shown.
    Anything before The Lion King is problematic af.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I find it ridiculous that people try to censor movies and TV Shows. We're eventually going to get to the point where only Disney/Pixar movies are allowed to be shown.
    I may be wrong but wasn't Walt Disney an anti-Semitic? So Disney movies are out since they still carry his name.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The contention isn't about movies featuring slavery, it's about movies trying to paint over slavery with a "being owned as property wasn't all that bad..." angle.
    I thought Gone with the Wind was more a romance in Civil War era south both pre and post was.

Django was much much worse in covering slavery.

Zipidy doo daa, zipidy day... my my my what a wonderful age.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Anything before The Lion King is problematic af.
    Even the Lion King would be a problem. Too violent for kids or some shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Zipidy doo daa, zipidy day... my my my what a wonderful day.
    Shhh! That movie certainly doesn't exist! There's not a hilarious secret to Splash Mountain!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah, it is. It was made in 1939. It's also a classic movie. Things can be both. I know that realization sucks for some people but understanding how it's racially insensitive and keeping that in mind while watching that is the key to being able to hold both thoughts in your mind.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Even the Lion King would be a problem. Too violent for kids or some shit.
    They're punching nazis, so it's woke.
    The issue with The Lion King is that its main story is about male bonding.