Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Well yeah, it is. It was made in 1939. It's also a classic movie. Things can be both. I know that realization sucks for some people but understanding how it's racially insensitive and keeping that in mind while watching that is the key to being able to hold both thoughts in your mind.
    How about Blazing Saddles? Is that now forbidden because of jokes about racism?

Simply unacceptable and a display of cowardice. Did the movie not offend black residents any of the other years during its annual summer showing? Or, could it be that it's now trending to destroy anything made in the early 20th century involving slavery? The movie isn't even really about slavery, it was just alongside it. I think the real answer is that peoples parents and grandparents fought against racism on a grand scale in the most of the 1900s, and now their lives are so fucking good that they only have ghosts to take their angst out on.

I actually turned on Gone With the Wind the other day because it popped up on Amazon Video. I got through like 45 minutes before falling asleep though, lol.

Relating to the discussion here, it's gotten to a point where I would rather not comment one way or the other on any of these issues, and that's a pretty sad situation. Hooray free speech.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You can't "wipe something from memory". Especially not by simply moving a statue or not showing a particular movie in one theater.

Seriously, this whole "deleting history!" nonsense is the worst argument people could come up with, because it's just nonsense.
    You most certainly can erase and create memories in the collective conscious. And any conversation with a Trump sycophant reveals as much, when they can't discern reality from fiction.
    And that is precisely what these pathetic cowards want to mimic.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Simply unacceptable and a display of cowardice. Did the movie not offend black residents any of the other years during its annual summer showing? Or, could it be that it's now trending to destroy anything made in the early 20th century involving slavery? The movie isn't even really about slavery, it was just alongside it. I think the real answer is that peoples parents and grandparents fought against racism on a grand scale in the most of the 1900s, and now their lives are so fucking good that they only have ghosts to take their angst out on.
    The Civil War wasn't about slavery either. It was a side issue who's continued usage in the South was necessitated by the economic oppression of Southern growers by Northern industrialists.

- - - Updated - - -

This erasing history and removing monuments is very disturbingly similar to what happened in places like Cambodia, Iran, and Egypt when oppressive regimes tried to erase anything that preceded them.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    The Civil War wasn't about slavery either. It was a side issue who's continued usage in the South was necessitated by the economic oppression of Southern growers by Northern industrialists.
    Yep, if I remember correctly from history class, the emancipation only came when Lincoln's team realized it was a good way to cripple their opponent's economy/production. It definitely had nothing to do with giving a fk about black people.

Update: And yes, totally agree that you can change history. Examples have already been brought up. Iran in particular is striking -- was the hub of science and math and then one Muslim cleric convinces people that numbers are the devil's work and it recedes for 100s of years into what it is now.
    Last edited by Hahyestwo; 2017-08-31 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Update

The cultural marxist book burning alt left scumbags will not stop until they rewrite all history

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I don't think Gone With the Wind should have been removed and I don't support the fact that it was. Not sure how you thought my post was any kind of support for it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have to ban all media... Think about how insensitive it is to showcase successful actors, writers, artists, etc., to poor, retarded, weak-willed little bitches.

Can we just boycott the movie, because it is one of the most overrated movies of all time? If people don't want to watch it, fine, don't watch it. If the theater doesn't want to show it, fine, they can show something else.

I don't think Gone With the Wind should have been removed and I don't support the fact that it was. Not sure how you thought my post was any kind of support for it.
    Probably that whole thing about racial insensitivity. I'm curious what else needs to be removed to shield people from racial insensitivity.

I was unaware Sense Offence has already become a crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably that whole thing about racial insensitivity. I'm curious what else needs to be removed to shield people from racial insensitivity.
    Well, it is racially insensitive. The sky is also blue. Water is still wet.

You'd have to ask someone else that. I wouldn't know since, and this will be the last time I say it: I don't support it's removal.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post

This erasing history and removing monuments is very disturbingly similar to what happened in places like Cambodia, Iran, and Egypt when oppressive regimes tried to erase anything that preceded them.
    It was about slavery. Do we need to post quotes from prominent Confederates to remind you?

Confederate monuments were erected by racists to oppress Black America during the Jim Crow era. They served no different purpose then. They served no different purpose now.

And Gone with the Wind?
    "But the extent to which the characters don’t think about race over 1,024 pages or three hours and fifty-eight minutes is actually a remarkable and useful thing to witness. Their blindness is a testament to the persistence with which Confederate apologists would deny that their beliefs have anything to do without race — and to the idea that you don’t have to walk around fulminating about the inferiority of African-Americans to participate in keeping them in bondage."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4f2606574cd9

Deleted
    I'm sure you can appreciate how sensitive or insensitive some content is without wanting it be removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    If the theater doesn't want to show it, fine, they can show something else.
    The theater wanted to show it AND people wanted to watch it (obviously or they wouldn't have been doing this event with it for years)...

Fringe leftist retards don't want other people to watch it and the theater caved to their demands for fear of the SJW mob.

Well, it is racially insensitive. The sky is also blue. Water is still wet.

You'd have to ask someone else that. I wouldn't know since, and this will be the last time I say it: I don't support it's removal.
    Why would I ask someone else? You know what is insensitive.

Should Django and 12 years a slave be banned for slave whipping scenes?
    Last edited by Dextroden; 2017-08-31 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The theater wanted to show it AND people wanted to watch it (obviously or they wouldn't have been doing this event with it for years)...

Fringe leftist retards don't want other people to watch it and the theater caved to their demands for fear of the SJW mob.
    Then the theater shouldn't have caved to societal pressure. The process worked out exactly as it is supposed to. If you don't like the theater's decision, then you also get to boycott them, and use your societal pressure to get them to do what you want them to do.

Since you say there is still a demand, open up your own theater, and show the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    I'm sure you can appreciate how sensitive or insensitive some content is without wanting it be removed.
    Impossible. If it offends someone, it has to go.

Like Beauty and the Beast for being gay propaganda. /s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Zipidy doo daa, zipidy day... my my my what a wonderful age.
    Songs of the South; won an oscar that song. Well it is a catchy tune ...