10+ Year Old Account

awful bad screen tearing

what is the reason destiny 2 (or any game for that matter) is screen tearing so bad on my pc ? i got vsync turned off in nvidia panel cause it makes unacceptable input lag for competetive games like starcraft, overwatch, wow or even hearthstone.
    however i dont experience screen tearing in those games and overwatch is fps just like destiny with a lot camera movement.

at this point it takes away all the fun and i rather stick to console version of this game because of that.
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    what is the reason destiny 2 (or any game for that matter) is screen tearing so bad on my pc ? i got vsync turned off in nvidia panel cause it makes unacceptable input lag for competetive games like starcraft, overwatch, wow or even hearthstone.
    however i dont experience screen tearing in those games and overwatch is fps just like destiny with a lot camera movement.

at this point it takes away all the fun and i rather stick to console version of this game because of that.
    If you have a gen 1000 nvidia card, enable fast sync. This should help with both the input lag and the tearing. The primary reason you see a bunch of tearing is your GPU is putting out frames faster than your monitor can accept them. The tearing is a result of mismatched frames being displayed. V-sync ties the refresh rate to your monitor. IE your monitor is 60hz refresh, your refresh rate will be 60hz or 60 FPS. With fast sync on, the gpu will tie your frames to a multiple of your monitors refresh rate. IE you have a 60hz screen and your frames are bouncing between 100 and 140. While you are in the 140 range, the gpu wll set your FPS to 120 so that you dont get partial frames, you will just lose every other frame. when your in the 100 FPS range, the GPU will tie your frames to 60 FPS or your monitor refresh rate. If your trying to eliminate tearing entirely, you need a faster refresh monitor. If you ask around, i'm sure someone can suggest a nice 144hz panel. maybe @chazus or @Lathais
    Last edited by teamkiller; 2017-08-31 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post

Your best bet would be upgrading your monitor to 144hz or something, or even Gsync/Free-Sync if you can to remove tearing AND input lag. Unfortunately it's usually one or the other, i.e. input lag (with Vsync enabled) or tearing... Though I can't say I've really noticed it that much on WoW/HS.

Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    If you ask around, i'm sure someone can suggest a nice 144hz panel. maybe @chazus or @Lathais
    Yeah, I don't suggest specific monitors, not really my area of expertise. I know the basics and can describe it fairly well...sometimes...but I would not trust my judgement on a specific monitor. @Fascinate can usually find good deals and stuff though, when he is not banned, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Your best bet would be upgrading your monitor to 144hz or something, or even Gsync/Free-Sync if you can to remove tearing AND input lag. Unfortunately it's usually one or the other, i.e. input lag (with Vsync enabled) or tearing... Though I can't say I've really noticed it that much on WoW/HS.
    There are quite a few factors. Some people will get it while others won't. Also, some people just don't see it, the same way some people can't see the difference between 60FPS and 120FPS(even one 120hz+ monitors). My friend is one of these people and I have been at his house, seen the tearing with my own eyes and he just does not even notice it. He also can't tell the difference, with a side-by-side comparison of the same image between a 720p and a 1080p TV. It's obviously night and day difference to me, but he just does not see it, or tearing, or FPS differences over 30. The time I noticed the tearing, just for the hell of it I asked him to turn V-Sync on, and yeah, when he dropped below 60FPS(no FPS shown on screen) I could instantly tell he was seeing 30 FPS. He saw no difference at all.

So yeah, it could be you don't have any, because of whatever system reasons, or could be you just are not noticing it. I don't know. I just know that some people say they get it and others don't. The ones that say they don't may have faster RAM or perhaps in all actuality a worse system that is not putting out enough frames to cause it or maybe they just don't notice it.

10+ Year Old Account
    buying a gsync monitor would probably be the best solution but its just not an option so i have to think of something else to resolve this issue
    with my 4 year old 60hertz monitor

2 conditions that must be met is no screen tearing AND no input lag

my specs here if it even matters
    geforce 1070
    i5 6600 3.3ghz
    Last edited by Proskill; 2017-09-01 at 12:20 PM.

If the adaptive sync is not doing it for you, and you haven't already try craking up the graphics options to lower your framerate or use supersampling from the nvidia control panel if there is no such option in the game.

The games you already play run at hundreds of FPS (with wow being an exception), you won't notice the tearing nearly as much as a game that you probably struggle to hold 60fps with.

10+ Year Old Account
    turned fast sync on in nvidia panel but destiny 2 beta ended so cant rly tell now if it works