Healer comp in legion?

My old rule was 1 healer for every 5 DPS. In heroic ToS I liked having their cd's more than their output healing so I ran 4 + 1 healers. Our raid is only semi-retarded; that said, there is unnecessary spike damage which adds the +1 healer regardless. We run 3 in heroic for some of the bosses but then hit Avatar and its back to 4-5.
    So now we move on to Mythic, and I got to sit some people perhaps. This is our healing composition: Monk, Monk, Pally, Priest, and Shaman that is our top healers we all have viable second and some third specs. We are bringing up another pally and a druid but their gear is well below the 930 mark and has no secondary spec.
    Atm, I am considering: Monk, Monk, Pally, and Priest for 20 mythic.

Any thoughts?

Deleted
    1x paladin 1x shaman rest whatever. Tank healing from Paladins is required+AM, CDs of shaman are required, fill up the rest of the slots with whatever

You have 2 monks and no resto shamans? Spirit link is extremelry good as is their throughput.

I like this comp: resto shaman, resto Druid, Hpally and Hpriest/monk. Either one of those last two works. Having 1 resto sham and 1 hpal is almost essential.

You can go with whatever comp you want realistically but I'd take a resto shaman over an MW monk any day. Moreso since you have 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk, Pally, Priest, Shaman will have the best overall coverage for raid/spot healing. The pally should be runnign devo aura, and if needed pair his AM with the monks revival for massive AE healing that will save the raid, i'm talking possible 1m heal per person on the revival. Shaman SLT is also good tank saver with the the 10% dmg reduction and health sharing. Priest is just good healers, and if disc will meld with the group much better, with shaman/monk doign most of the AE healing, the paladin doign the spot healing, and the priest being there supporting what needs to be supported, and as disc you get pain suppresion, and a giant dmg reduction bubble. also atonement healing can be powerful if done right, or horrendous if done wrong, so don't force your priest into disc if he doesn't like the playstyle, a bad disc is worse than not bringing a 4th healer at all.

Deleted
    I main a hpally and raid lead for our casual guild working on M Goroth.

We run pally, shaman, druid, x for mythic. X is sometimes our priest, sometimes monk. All of us have decent dps specs so for heroic we 4 heal only Desolate Host (pally and druid in spirit) and Mistress. Given recent Mistress nerfs, we'll start 3 healing her too.

I agree wit the general opinion you absolutely want pally for spike damage and shaman for unique cooldowns. We love running druid for sheer throughput, and then the 4th slot is w/e.

Shamans are the best healer for Tos atm.

If you are going to double any class, i'd probably be aiming towards their way.

Disc is really strong atm as well, almost takes place of the druid =\ but druid helps a ton on Avatar / KJ

Shaman utility is normally the reason why you bring them but given ToS is a lot of burst stacking damage, shamans become one of the strongest healers for it. They are really going to excel on fights like Sisters / Mistress / Harajtan.

I really can't say much about MW, they've never been in a good spot for Legion, i doubt you want to bring two.

Deleted
    Could you people maybe elaborate where holy priest stands?
    I think I do quite OK for heroic, and even mythic progression. And as I can't play disc at all, I wanna know :P

Quote Originally Posted by Potpourri87 View Post
    Could you people maybe elaborate where holy priest stands?
    I think I do quite OK for heroic, and even mythic progression. And as I can't play disc at all, I wanna know :P
    Holy priests are okay, they just aren't druids nor do they have the utility of paladin and shaman, we killed mythic avatar using 1 shaman 1 pala and 2 holy priests so it's not like you can't use them, but I'm glad we got our druid back to replace one of them and the holy priest left went disc for kj.

Deleted
    As others said you should have atleast 1 Shaman if you've got the choice. 2x Monks and no Shaman is not so ideal if you've got a Shaman available. Monk, Paladin, Priest and Shaman would work fine ideally, you could replace either the Monk or Priest with a Druid and it would also work fine. Honestly it doesn't matter that much as long as your healers are competent but it's certainly easier if you've got a variety.

In reply to Potpourri87 Holy Priests are very strong at the moment, they seem to have good throughput. At least the one we were raiding with regularly topped meters (I know meters don't really mean much for healers, but it indicates that when it came to HPS he wasn't lacking).

Just don't even bother with a resto druid without 4 piece tier 19 and legendary shoulders/trinket.

Just don't.

It's sad like that.

Deleted
    To be honest, I top the meters on most fights and try's too, despite having better one or two shaman, Hpala and druid healing by my side. I just feel that I could do so much more, because I overheal soooo much...

Deleted
    To be honest, I top the meters on most fights and try's too, despite having better one or two shaman, Hpala and druid healing by my side. I just feel that I could do so much more, because I overheal soooo much...
    Your first problem, in ToS, overall healing done is worth nothing, it is all about burst healing, cooldown and utilities.
    Last edited by mmoc837e89e126; 2017-09-01 at 01:08 PM.

Healing meters are tough to evaluate. If you have healers who care more about parsing than progress, you'll have issues on certain mechanics like Rapid Shot on M Sisters where someone needs dedicated ST heals. Also, if you end fights with everyone at 80% mana and you're just sniping each other with nothing meaningful to heal, I'd talk to your raid leader about having a healer go DPS. There are some fights though where some strats involve bringing a 5th healer just for a last phase, like M Mistress and M Elisande - but on these you can have your H Pal pop an Old War and Wings and DPS for the first minute or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladin, shaman, druid, then 1-3 whatevers depending on boss and strategy

Since no one has mentioned it- Legion healing is probably the most balanced it's ever been. So...

Bring the player not the class.

I must say though if you can bring 1 paladin and 1 shaman you will be in a better spot than if you don't. (Mythic raiding). Priests are strong too, and shaman/Druid/MW are all very close in total HPS. However, most people know total HPS isn't the best metric to use.

If you aren't raiding mythic don't worry about it. And if you're just starting mythic right now it probably doesn't matter much either since you will overhear content and nerfing mechanisms are underway (netherlight crucible).

Overhealing is such a problem this tier on heroic. We found the paladin/priest/shaman trio to be very powerful. DI can be an issue because of dispells and mana and sisters sometimes needs extra cooldowns so we sometimes get extra healer for those.

You may want 4 for Mythic Goroth because of range. Especially where mechanics make you run out further from the group than they used to, it can be useful to go up to 4.

If you aren't already doing this, have your team use their warlock stones timed with spirit link. It's almost hack-levels powerful.

Honestly though your healing team should be figuring this out, ideally. They need to be almost more familiar with the fight mechanics and each other's strengths than the raid leaders so they can work together. I guess that does boil down to "bring the players".

Deleted
    In terms of numbers on heroic I would say you could get away with around 7 - 8 to 1 healer instead of the standard 5 to 1 for most bosses in tos but anything more then 16 to 2 will have dire effects on your healers mana at least in the fights I have been apart of with the setup of either Pally / Disc or Druid / Disc. Our group usually 3 heals Pally / Druid / Disc on progression content between 16 to 25 sizes.

Can't comment on mythic, I also can't really comment on other healing classes since we have always used this setup in raiding since TBC, but with that said healing it's self is never an issue that isn't quickly solved between us plus I find with the setup of a Pally for tank / spot healing, Druid for sustain, and Disc although the class has changed from absorbs to mostly burst it still works quite well in this trio setup.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2017-09-17 at 03:12 AM.