Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why do Americans so often wear suits 3 sizes too large? :S

Ever notice how Americans (as in Americans from the USA) often wear suits that are way too big for them?
    Suits seems both 3 sizes too large for the person and they also have no shape in them whatsoever and the shoulders are hanging on their arms.
    The shirts that they wear underneath them also are way too large, with an enourmes gap at the collar, making their head look like it's tiny and floating.

Is this a fashion thing or something? I am really curious about this. You see this both in business as in US politics.
    Europeans oftenw alk around in clean cut, well fitted suits that match the body shape and size.

Good example right here:

Deleted
    So they don't have to buy another one while they grow in size

10+ Year Old Account
    Your evidence is a picture of two guys? Only one of whom is wearing a suit?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they think its a bit more comfortable? All my life I've always worn too big clothes because I find it more comfortable.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Nice way to generalize huh?

I like how the OP had to clarify that he was talking about USA Americans, as if, you know, Americans come from somewhere else......

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we have big , and we don't want the fit to cut off the circulation.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I like how the OP had to clarify that he was talking about USA Americans, as if, you know, Americans come from somewhere else......
    In parts of the world outside the USA American can refer to people in the Americas, in either the North or South American continents.

10+ Year Old Account
    A thread created by the same person who generalizes all people with body art and piercings to be worthless in the job market generalizes an entire nation based on a picture of 2 people with only one in a suit.

This thread is going to go places....
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    How else would we carry our guns without people noticing?

To hide our physique as to not intimidate you Uropeeons!

Paul Ryan isn't even impressive. Most of us look like this under our clothes.

They are more comfortable at that size to walk around in, sit in and squat to pick something up off the ground in.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think American men are as obsessed with fashion as delicate European men are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Your evidence is a picture of two guys? Only one of whom is wearing a suit?
    I thought it was going to be a picture of Trump, but apparently it's not just him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I thought it was going to be a picture of Trump, but apparently it's not just him.
    Well I mean everything looks big when compared to Trump due to his tiny hands
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Dunno why Americans do it, but I have some oversized suits, so I don't look like a sausage in case I decide to wear shirt & pullover or shirt & vest under it instead of shirt only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Some Europeans like to claim that "American" refers to anyone from either North or South America, despite the fact that absolutely no one from either North or South America refers to themself as American if they aren't also from the United States.

I mean, what do they think the proper term is? "United Statesian?"

Some of them also claim that North and South America are one continent, despite each landmass being twice the size of Europe and connected by a spit of land 30 miles across. And if we're merging continents, Europe and Asia would the first to be combined, seeing as the only delineation is a nebulous string of mountains.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-09-03 at 07:23 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well I mean everything looks big when compared to Trump due to his tiny hands
    Apparently the SMH did a whole article on his cheap suits:

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fash...13-gs245b.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Ever notice how Americans (as in Americans from the USA) often wear suits that are way too big for them?
    Suits seems both 3 sizes too large for the person and they also have no shape in them whatsoever and the shoulders are hanging on their arms.
    The shirts that they wear underneath them also are way too large, with an enourmes gap at the collar, making their head look like it's tiny and floating.

Is this a fashion thing or something? I am really curious about this. You see this both in business as in US politics.
    Europeans oftenw alk around in clean cut, well fitted suits that match the body shape and size.

Good example right here:

Tight clothing is often associated with having feminine qualities. In most states, this is a big no-no for men. Including, trying on clothes, being fashion-oriented, etc.

He sure looks like he had to borrow his dad's suit to give a speech.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."