Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I have no idea, but they look terrible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I like how the OP had to clarify that he was talking about USA Americans, as if, you know, Americans come from somewhere else......
    Yeah, countries like Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Chile etc are not American at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Is this a fashion thing or something?
    Of course. Suits are fashion. You could have figured out the answer with a little reflection.

Also '3 sizes too big' is fairly hyperbolic.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because most North American men aren't metros who wear tight clothes like European men do. I never wear tight fitting clothes because I don't like the feeling of my balls being put in a vice all day.

Because suits/dress shirts don't stretch, and if they stretch, they'll surely be ruined. Combine it with the fact that a tailored, fitted suit is one of the more uncomfortable and inconvenient things to wear, particularly with the amount of adjustments, readjustments, tucking, wrinkling, etc. all associated with sitting, function comes before form.

Wait, wait... aren't you (supposedly) a millionaire clothing mogul?

A lot of us are fat fucks who can't wear a suit that fits properly. Trump is a good example of this.

I don't know what Paul Ryans thinking is. He could wear something that'd actually look, but just chooses not to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post
    Because suits/dress shirts don't stretch, and if they stretch, they'll surely be ruined. Combine it with the fact that a tailored, fitted suit is one of the more uncomfortable and inconvenient things to wear, particularly with the amount of adjustments, readjustments, tucking, wrinkling, etc. all associated with sitting, function comes before form.

Wait, wait... aren't you (supposedly) a millionaire clothing mogul?
    If function came before form, ties just straight up wouldn't exist. Suits are wildly impractical attire from a comfort perspective, the purpose is entirely aesthetic. Wearing things that are poor fitting, have a huge break, prole gap, or other deficiencies just looks like shit.

Deleted
    Ok, ok... not ALL Americans do obviously But still, whenever you see them in a suit it's 9/10 times way too large.
    If it's the fashion over there, that's cool. I'm not ripping on you guys for having your own taste. Was just wondering really.

Maybe it's a leftover from the baggy clothes trend from the 1990's and 2000's?

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    If it's the fashion over there, that's cool. I'm not ripping on you guys for having your own taste. Was just wondering really.
    It definitely isn't the fashion among people that bothering to pay any attention to fashion. Men that are fit and want to look good in a suit don't choose to just wear goofy looking baggy suits. Tapered leg, minimal break, etc. are popular looks, especially with younger guys.

The Paul Ryan example is odd. I'd expect him to dress a bit better. Shrug.

Which "size"? A typical suit has 7 sizes. Chest, shoulder, length, sleeve, waist, outer seem and inner seam. There is usually unheeded fabric left on quality suits on the inner and outter seams.
    I buy about 2 "quality" suits a year, sometimes more. A protip from me to you, January and July are the very best times to purchase suits, even the expensive ones. I have never ever purchased a suit too large in antipacition of me gaining weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    A lot of us are fat fucks who can't wear a suit that fits properly. Trump is a good example of this.

I don't know what Paul Ryans thinking is. He could wear something that'd actually look, but just chooses not to.

- - - Updated - - -

If function came before form, ties just straight up wouldn't exist. Suits are wildly impractical attire from a comfort perspective, the purpose is entirely aesthetic. Wearing things that are poor fitting, have a huge break, prole gap, or other deficiencies just looks like shit.
    That's the thing--few people actually wear them because they want to, so to elude to the idea that form indeed trumps function is

Yet, prole gap is typically an off the shelf issue--which does have a tendency coming down to what you say--people being too fat and having bodies too wide yet too short for particular clothing, but it doesn't change general preferences for comfort.

As for Paul Ryan, obviously it is the NBA draft.

Future Proofing; they'll grow into it !

Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post
    That's the thing--few people actually wear them because they want to, so to elude to the idea that form indeed trumps function is

Yet, prole gap is typically an off the shelf issue--which does have a tendency coming down to what you say--people being too fat and having bodies too wide yet too short for particular clothing, but it doesn't change general preferences for comfort.

As for Paul Ryan, obviously it is the NBA draft.
    Yeah, that's fair. I guess I basically just take an in for a penny, in for a pound thought process to suits - it's not really what I want to wear, but if it's what I need to wear for an occasion, I want to look good in it. If it were an every day thing, as for politicians, maybe I'd get sloppy about it.

Surprised it hasn't been brought up yet, but a few will wear slightly over sized clothing to accommodate a concealed handgun. While not a problem in some states, other states have laws about "printing"- which is when you can clearly see the outline of the pistol through someone's clothing. Some states have laws stating you can have the pistol, you just have to ensure that it remains 100% concealed and doesn't 'print'. Larger clothing is often employed to resolve this.

Now, that's not saying that everyone in a larger suit is armed. I'd say its probably still few and far between overall. I'm just surprised that conclusion hadn't been jumped to as the reason for it.

This is from a TV show about the 1950's. Everyone wore a suit in New York back then, even if you were just going to the corner to buy a newspaper. Old people often say they miss the days when everyone dress real nice. Oh, and everyone wore fedoras.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Could be a fashion thing over there. Fashion has a degree of locality, so if that's what everyone at work does you're more likely to try to dress similarly, so there's going to be a degree of self perpetuation there.

We can't all be metrosexual pansies who are obsessed with fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I like how the OP had to clarify that he was talking about USA Americans, as if, you know, Americans come from somewhere else......
    North America and South America are two continents which include countries like Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Columbia and so forth. People from any of those countries could be aptly (albeit strangely) described as Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

This is from a TV show about the 1950's. Everyone wore a suit in New York back then, even if you were just going to the corner to buy a newspaper. Old people often say they miss the days when everyone dress real nice. Oh, and everyone wore fedoras.
    All depends on your line of work and your region.
    My wife is a DVM. She works either in scrubs or jeans.
    The only time I really wear a suit is when I am going to an important meeting. Many of the younger people in my office don't even wear long sleeve shirts.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    All depends on your line of work and your region.
    My wife is a DVM. She works either in scrubs or jeans.
    The only time I really wear a suit is when I am going to an important meeting. Many of the younger people in my office don't even wear long sleeve shirts.
    they're lucky they have a rule about pants where I work.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    So they don't have to buy another one while they grow in size
    that could be a logical reason, other one is they like to have loose fitting clothes. I know I prefer my pants what kids these days would consider baggy.