Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Ric Flair recovering after hospitalization for organ failure

WWE super star Ric Flair went into the hospital last month for multiple organ problems. Fortunately he is now out of the hospital and recovering. So glad he made it through. We've lost enough wrestling legends the past couple of years.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...167683917.html
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly would make him a legend?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    He probably kissed your mom and made her cry.

Deleted
    I feel like if you need that to be explained to you, then you really haven't watched wrestling for very long.

If at all, that is.

his legacy in the ring makes him a wrestling legend.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    He probably kissed your mom and made her cry.
    Hahaha NO!

Since this thread is dedicated to Naitch, here's my favourite promo in wrestling ever

I link it everywhere I can, it's just amazing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I feel like if you need that to be explained to you, then you really haven't watched wrestling for very long.

If at all, that is.
    I watched wrestling, I am not sure I would call him a legend, or anything really done in a wrestling ring as such, I mean at the same time I wouldn't say Arnold Schwarzenegger is a Legend either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    his legacy in the ring makes him a wrestling legend.
    I think you are stretching the limits of the term Legend in any instance especially in wrestling, he was no Hulk Hogan. A great deal of other wrestlers fucking actually hated his guts, and have gone on records saying as such, not to mention those that seem to blame him for politicking their careers which I do think is a bit fucking whiny, but there are a few that say that so.

I watched wrestling, I am not sure I would call him a legend, or anything really done in a wrestling ring as such, I mean at the same time I wouldn't say Arnold Schwarzenegger is a Legend either.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are stretching the limits of the term Legend in any instance especially in wrestling, he was no Hulk Hogan. A great deal of other wrestlers fucking actually hated his guts, and have gone on records saying as such, not to mention those that seem to blame him for politicking their careers which I do think is a bit fucking whiny, but there are a few that say that so.
    Lol as if Hogan wasn't hated for his politics. 20 years past his prime and he was still ruining wrestling companies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Lol as if Hogan wasn't hated for his politics. 20 years past his prime and he was still ruining wrestling companies.
    True but I hate Hogan and I don't even wrestle, but I would say the term Legend which I am saying is loosely applied would for sure go to him. I mean Hogan actually brought fans to wrestling especially kids by playing a larger than life, live action sort of superhero, shit I don't know anybody who didn't want to not say their prayers, eat their vitamins and grow up to have the largest arms in the world and run wild.

Other wrestlers hating him could be said they are jealous, so the question would be what was Ric Flairs excuse. I mean he didn't get promoted very much, but when he did it was useally the fact he had to be over sold A LOT, Hulk never did, if Hulk Hogan went anywhere in the world in his prime everybody would know him especially millions of kids.

Who exactly would knot The nature boy besides Wrestling fans?

He IS the limousine ridin, jet flyin, kiss stealin. wheelin' dealin', 16 time world champion, son of a gun

WOOOOOOOOOO!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpuk View Post
    He IS the limousine ridin, jet flyin, kiss stealin. wheelin' dealin', 16 time world champion, son of a gun

WOOOOOOOOOO!
    You forgot about taking whoever the space mountain

People besides Flair

Legends

Hulk Hogan
    Roddy Piper (Also didn't like, but he was the best heel ever)
    Vince McMahon (Don't like him but this crazy evil POS, actually built an empire out of what used to be considered a joke)
    Bruno Sammartino
    Killer Kowalski (Trainer)
    Stu Hart (Trainer)
    Bret Hart ( One of my favorite technical wrestlers)
    The Undertaker

Shawn Michaels (I don't like him either but he put his literal body on the line every time)
    Stone Cold (He was probably 2nd next to Hogan, Punching Iron Mike put WWE through the fucking stratosphere)
    The Rock
    Brock Lesnar
    CM Punk
    John Cena (Yeah I know I would probably get shit for this, but until recently I had heard he like to help work with up and coming talent)
    he also was a good will ambassador and personally has some record for granting Make A Wish's for kids, and kids love him and he literally infused the new life blood the WWE needed. for better or in his case as many say WORSE!

I am sure there are a bunch I am not putting I should but each of those people contributed something to wrestling more than using it to become famous, each of the person up there made a contribution.

Ric Flair has been around a long time and in terms of theater he was a great showman, but at the end of the day wrestling did as much or more for him than he did for it or the fans.

He didn't train anybody because he couldn't I think as Bret has pointed out he has like 5 moves total Back Chops, Eye Gouge, Trick Knee, Figure Four, and WOO!

He is a man, he worked all his life and that is admirable, but he also has a long history of a lot of people who have said he fucked them over and that isn't at all just in the past.

Good he is doing better no wish ill on the dude, but as some have said it and I agree, he also had a fair share to do with holding the spot light away from a lot of guys.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-09-03 at 02:52 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Nature Boy is definitely one of the all time greats. The fact that he has survived this long after such an active career probably makes him an outlier in the industry where dropping dead before 50 from drug abuse has seriously plagued wrestling for ages.

The wrestling is fake as hell but man you gotta respect the athleticism and coordination required to build a career around it.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-09-03 at 02:56 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    The Nature Boy is definitely one of the all time greats. The fact that he has survived this long after such an active career probably makes him an outlier in the industry where the majority of them seem to drop dead before their 50s from drug abuse.

The wrestling is fake as hell but man you gotta respect the athleticism and coordination required to build a career around it.
    Yeah none of those things would would be attributed to Rick though and he is known for shitting on a lot of guys specifically because he would be critical of their abilities or look.

10+ Year Old Account
    Besides being one of the biggest draws of the 70's and 80's? Besides having the official (16) and unofficial (minimum of 20) record of world championship reigns? How about a career that spans almost 40 years and in which he has almost always been relevant? How about all of the wrestlers who are on record as Ric being their inspiration to get into wrestling and what to aspire towards as far as ability goes?

In WCW Ric had a bad rep for numerous reasons, but so did the majority of people there including Hogan, Piper, Savage, Nash and Hall. Outside of WCW he is held with reverence and the highest esteem. He was held in such regard that he was the first to have a segment of television dedicated entirely to their retirement speech, the same speech in which Undertaker broke character - Undertaker NEVER breaks character. That was his own decision.

Flair was a perfect mix of everything. Bret Hart could have fantastic matches but his promos for 90% of his career were awful. Austin (post neck injury) and Rock were two of the most charismatic wrestlers to ever exist, but neither of them are great in ring workers. Flair was both charismatic and able to work, as well as being able to sell out shows week after week.

When all things are considered, Flair is in the elite of wrestling history along side Bruno, Thesz, Gorgeous George, Dusty, Hogan and Austin.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fake and scripted sports do not have legends in them.

No one cares about wrestling except those that like fantasy sports.

OT: I do hope that his recovery is good.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah none of those things would would be attributed to Rick though and he is known for shitting on a lot of guys specifically because he would be critical of their abilities or look.
    I meant it more in general because you have people who think that because wrestling is fake it's therefore easy when you're really busting your ass to not only be athletic but to also be appealing to the crowd.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-09-03 at 03:16 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Fake and scripted sports do not have legends in them.

No one cares about wrestling except those that like fantasy sports.

OT: I do hope that his recovery is good.
    If there can be legendary actors, there can be legendary wrestlers.

"Wooooooooooooo"

That is what makes him a legend

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    Besides being one of the biggest draws of the 70's and 80's? Besides having the official (16) and unofficial (minimum of 20) record of world championship reigns? How about a career that spans almost 40 years and in which he has almost always been relevant? How about all of the wrestlers who are on record as Ric being their inspiration to get into wrestling and what to aspire towards as far as ability goes?

In WCW Ric had a bad rep for numerous reasons, but so did the majority of people there including Hogan, Piper, Savage, Nash and Hall. Outside of WCW he is held with reverence and the highest esteem. He was held in such regard that he was the first to have a segment of television dedicated entirely to their retirement speech, the same speech in which Undertaker broke character - Undertaker NEVER breaks character. That was his own decision.

Flair was a perfect mix of everything. Bret Hart could have fantastic matches but his promos for 90% of his career were awful. Austin (post neck injury) and Rock were two of the most charismatic wrestlers to ever exist, but neither of them are great in ring workers. Flair was both charismatic and able to work, as well as being able to sell out shows week after week.

When all things are considered, Flair is in the elite of wrestling history along side Bruno, Thesz, Gorgeous George, Dusty, Hogan and Austin.
    One of the biggest draws of the 70s and 80's you mean a dying profession that was on life support until Vince came along and took over the territories and he and Hulk built a brand in part do to the fact Ric Flair wasn't getting the job done if as you say it was all on him.

I didn't say what it said about those that didn't like Flair my point is despite what they might have said now or do because of the current circumstances, the truth is Flair was hated both in his time and through the years and it wasn't because he was a draw.

Most of what has been said is he is a no talented, back stabbing, two faced ass kisser, who often tried to befriend guys in the back while at the same time burying others who were better or drew better than him

Flair wasn't an Elite all the people you mentioned he is in the same league either had a Charisma that transcended wrestling or they could actually work Flair could do neither.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Macho Man Randy Savage......anyone who comes out to "Pomp and Circumstance" and make it seem so badass is a legend in my book. That and he was one of the best personalities in the WWF.
    I didn't like Savage but Yeah I would put him up there, he was known albeit in large part because of Hogan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I meant it more in general because you have people who think that because wrestling is fake it's therefore easy when you're really busting your ass to not only be athletic but to also be appealing to the crowd.
    No, I wouldn't make the argument because it is scripted it isn't dangerous or risky, I am not going to go so far as to get too crazy with that as if they put their lives on the line to save lives or something, they do get a nice paycheck if they make it to the top.

Where Flair was, and honestly in addition to not having a great amount of talent and being overshadowed by guys better and younger than him, yeah I am not sure Legend is a word I would apply despite what just happened to him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fonduset View Post
    "Wooooooooooooo"

That is what makes him a legend
    Well obviously then I am wrong and case closed. lol