Page 1 of 3
LastLast

4k 60hz vs 1440p 144hz for WoW

I'm in a decision dilemma

I have a 4k 60hz with G-sync atm being powered by a i7-7700k and a GTX 1080's in SLI (Note i've never experience above 60hz so i have no clue)

I was wondering if i should get a ultrawide or something at 1440p 144hz for smoother motions and such

since something is really bothering me while i am raiding and playing overall while the quality is AMAZING
    the smoothness feels very off at times it's smooth but some times you can clearly see some stuttering while turning the camera and especially in high movements during fight's or pvp

seriously,i have no clue what to do since lot's of people say 144hz is alot better and smoother but i don't know since i've never experience it before

can someone clarify me if i would benefit overall in performance ? i don't mind the downgrade since(as long as it's not to 1080p lol) i'll use my 4k monitor for lot's of other stuff

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    At first I neverunderstood the 144hz craze. But I can say after moving to 144hz I dont' think I could ever go back. It does make things "smoother" but I still have issues during fast sequences where there's a type of "stutter" which I relate to it just being wow's less than perfect game engine. I'm running a 3930k @ 4.5Ghz. It's dated but still a capable processor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a big fan of 1440p @144hz. That said, I've never gamed at 4k. But like the chap above, I could NEVER go back to 60hz or lower.

Most everything I play is able to take advantage of 100+hz refresh.
    Heavily OC'd 980ti and an i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz.

1440p @100hz Ultrawide + G-sync: Certainly not want to go back to "plain" 60hz and absolutely would not give up G-sync
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This post is brought to you by the letters U and F (though not necessarily in that order)

so ya'll think the switch to 1440p above 100hz would be worth it? from 4k that is would i lose alot in actually quality?

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say it's worth it. The only real thing you will lose is the crispness of the edges when moving away from 4k, and possibly color fidelity depending on the quality of the panel vs the new one. In all honesty for gaming, I don't think you're losing anything really relevant when comparing the joy of 144hz. It really is subjective.

Not sure where you live. But I went to the local parts shop and they had demo units of the monitors on display and it helped me finally decide on the move to 144hz. That's probably the best way to determine it for yourself, assuming there is a local shop with demo's running. I went to a local memoryexpress.com store.

edit: also with your GPU's you can run that Super Resolution feature nvidia has. 4k rendering on a 1440 should look superb.
    Last edited by dicertification; 2017-09-04 at 04:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flevor View Post
    so ya'll think the switch to 1440p above 100hz would be worth it? from 4k that is would i lose alot in actually quality?
    Can you not buy one on Amazon and send it back after trying it Out?

I'm 1440p @ 165hz and it's lovely

I live in belgium,idk if we have an amazon for here also i don't like sending stuff back really,annoying takes tile.. but thats just me i always try to be sure before i buy something

15+ Year Old Account
    144Hz @1440p is useless in wow. You wont get 144 fps in battlegrounds, raids etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flevor View Post
    I live in belgium,idk if we have an amazon for here also i don't like sending stuff back really,annoying takes tile.. but thats just me i always try to be sure before i buy something
    Amazon make it pretty easy tbh

I'm sure there will be an Amazon.be

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, we're just not there yet for real 4K experience and I'm telling you that as a guy with 1080Ti.

1440p with Sync is just going to be better overall next year or two, then you will start seeing things like HDR finally taking off as well as general 4K prices dropping and actual GPUs coming out that can power it well and not choke themselves just to keep 60 FPS if that.

There is no way you're reaching 144 FPS in WoW with any decent graphics settings, regardless of your hardware. Go with 4K, GTX 1080 should be enough for that.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

144hz in WoW is pointless. Even if you get the 144fps needed, you get no real benefit from the faster refresh rate. In other games such as Overwatch or Counter-Strike though, 144hz is unmatched and I can never go back to 60hz.

Deleted
    I have had 60hz and 144hz and the difference is minimal.

Saying that, 1080p is the best resolution for me -- I have tried 1440p and 21:9 1440p (ultrawide) and I think with todays hardware, 1080p is the perfect resolution.

For FPS I think a smaller screen is better anyway.

144 fps feels a lot better even in wow so you should go for 1080p 144/1440p 144

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you're a pvper or just doing open world content then stick with 60Hz 4K. Coming from someone with a 144hz monitor, you won't get much higher than 60fps in meaningful raiding and and the 4K will give you plenty of real estate to decrease clutter in the UI and overall look nicer.

Now if you plan on playing other games then I'd suggest the 144hz because it's fantastic. WoW is one of the few games where I'd say 4K60Hz > 1440p144Hz.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Unless you're a pvper or just doing open world content then stick with 60Hz 4K. Coming from someone with a 144hz monitor, you won't get much higher than 60fps in meaningful raiding and and the 4K will give you plenty of real estate to decrease clutter in the UI and overall look nicer.

Now if you plan on playing other games then I'd suggest the 144hz because it's fantastic. WoW is one of the few games where I'd say 4K60Hz > 1440p144Hz.
    That's good perspective. I currently use a Dell U3011 for Wow (2560 x 1600 @ 60 mhz) and love it. I've had the upgrade itch for a little while, but didn't want to decrease my resolution, especially if I'm spending a lot to get 144 hz+ at 1440p... when I wouldn't even notice or appreciate the "upgrade" and instead jump to 4k @ 60 mhz. (I basically play Wow / Witcher 3 / older games. No shooters/mobas.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    At first I neverunderstood the 144hz craze. But I can say after moving to 144hz I dont' think I could ever go back. It does make things "smoother" but I still have issues during fast sequences where there's a type of "stutter" which I relate to it just being wow's less than perfect game engine. I'm running a 3930k @ 4.5Ghz. It's dated but still a capable processor.
    I still don't really understand the 144hz craze. I switched from a 60hz to 144hz about a month ago and I honestly don't notice much difference. Granted, I don't really play any fast paced shooters but I tried BF1 with lower settings @ 1440p and got about 120-ish fps and if I really concentrated I could notice some difference in general "smoothness" vs 60fps but I doubt I'd notice in a blind test.

Idk, my eyes aren't amazing so maybe that's a cause. I certainly don't notice any difference in GW2 even though it runs between 25-100 fps compared to 25-60 previously, nor do I notice any difference in a desktop environment except for when moving around windows rapidly on the screen. Hardly amazing imo.

Holy shit. When people said that the difference was "pretty noticeable" I was like "meh, probably a waste of money" Until I saw how fucking insane this shit is. 60hz feels like absolute shit now and I don't think I can ever go back. It's like playing a whole new game. If you're considering getting a 144hz, do it right now, you will not be upset.

60hz is gimped. Just in my everyday windows usage, 144hz is worth it. 1440p 144hz is the best gaming is gonna get until we get affordable equipment capable of running 4k 144hz.

4k is prettier. I have both. I run ALL competitive games at 1440p 144hz gsync because it's just much better in every practical way. Even moving windows from one side of the screen to the other in Windows 10 looks and feels much better when you unlock the 60fps gimp that ruins most monitors.

In outdoor content, with a 980ti 4790k, I play with my settings until him hitting between 100-144fps. When I'm raiding I'm usually focused on my little bars. Try playing a FPS on a 60fps monitor and then swap to 144hz and see how that works out for ya.

The only time when 4k is superior is when you are not able to get over 60fps in 1440p for whatever reason, then swaping to 4k is okay because your fps is gonna suck anyway, might as well have eye candy.

Example, if you were running a PS4 pro, you would probably want a 4k screen since it is locked at 30fps. Horizon looks great in 4k HDR. Very few actual computer games are superior on a 4k screen at 60fps vs a 1440p 144hz gsync gaming monitor.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-09-05 at 06:25 PM.