Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think Game of Thrones proved that people will watch engaging Fantasy worlds with multiple plot threads as long as the characters and storylines and interesting. So maybe in 20 years blizzard could create a live action tv show and have the characters look decent without breaking the bank. Because a Movie will never work well with Warcraft. there are to many independent threads running through the story that you can't really give it a cohesive story in 2-3 hours.

What they need to do in the meantime is build the audience for warcraft. I recommend doing a Netflix animated series to help broaden its appeal.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have as much of a chance of getting a warcraft sequel as we have of bioware making another Mass Effect Andromeda game, next to none.

The movie didn't perform well and a lot of the reason was that nothing was explained well and people were like wait, orc? this isn't LotR?

While I enjoyed the movie, a lot of that was because I knew enough of the warcraft lore to piece in the missing parts. Oh and the magic looked awesome, sadly THE FEL was just idiotic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    If a good story is already there, it's workable and can succeed. I don't think majority of audiences read the LotR books before deciding to go to the theater, yet it was a huge success. Why? Because the advertising was done correctly, which got the people to go see it in the first place, followed by a great story, actors, etc. That's why people went to see the sequels.
    That`s why I mentioned the shitty marketing for Warcraft which i think play a gigantic part in why the movie didn`t perform well (in the US). With LotR I`m not sure though, I hadn`t read the books but a lot of my friends had. I do think Warcraft had some major flaws, but I also think most of them weren`t due to the core story (I hated all the love and family stories around our viking hero, because they felt pointless and just "there" for the sake of it) but rather due to maybe studio interference or whatever. Biggest flaw of the actual movie was the runtime (too short) and the pacing (all over the place).
    I don`t know that much about movie making, but this Movie for me is one of the cases where I`d love to see the script, what the director shot and what was finally cut/edited in the end, just to see the differences.
    Last edited by mmoc9a48be24dc; 2017-09-07 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    Pacific Rim had a higher budget and made less money.
    Nope.

Pacific Rim / Warcraft
    $102M / $47 domestic
    $197M / $172 overseas w/o china

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Nope.

Pacific Rim / Warcraft
    $102M / $47 domestic
    $197M / $172 overseas w/o china
    Pacific Rim had a budget of $190M against Warcraft's 160.
    Its total box office was $411M against Warcraft's 433.

It will probably not happen... and it's kind of sad tbh, I liked the movie. Not the best I have seen but just decent enough.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    To those who say that the movie won't get a sequel because it did not make enough money, and only China saved it: Pacific Rim had a higher budget and made less money. Nearly all income was done in China. That movie is getting a sequel.
    There are slight differences which would give Pacific Rim the upper hand when considering a sequel. For starters, it made more than twice the amount Warcraft did domestically and did much better in the retail scene with boxed sales. Secondly, Pacific Rim received pretty good critical reception from reviewers and moviegoers whereas Warcraft was panned by reviewers and is split with moviegoers/fans. Lastly, the marketing for Pacific Rim was handled terribly which did nothing but undermine the film's original story so there's an argument to be made that now that it has exposure then there's room for improvement.

The wild card which I'd like to know is how much was spent on marketing for both. I've heard that this is ultimately where Warcraft lost its chance to get a sequel since the marketing cost was insane but that could very well just be hearsay.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-09-07 at 07:34 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

And here I thought that we would be getting a sequel, goddamn clickbait title. The first movie was pretty bad and that can be blamed on both the 40 minute cut in length and the poor direction on the humans while the orcs looked really good in comparison. I would still like to see a movie centered around Arthas which would've made a better first movie imo. Not sure who's a good pick to cast him but I was thinking about Chris Hemsworth who also plays Thor in the Marvel movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Wow, talk about a clickbait headline.
    Yup. That's the reason i clicked. Thought a squel was coming.

7+ Year Old Account
    They should have made Warcraft in TV show format.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    They should have made Warcraft in TV show format.
    ^ This.

The only other error was the Orcs were too big.

I don't see a sequel in the near future. The other one was a disaster, both financially and entertaining wise.
    Of course you are completely wrong on both counts here. Warcraft was hugely successful in China, and China is a massive market today.
    Entertainment wise, well thats subjective of course. I enjoyed it, so did many others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I believe Blizzard spent too much time on it which hindered the game and its image... It felt like the team was more hyped for the movie than game especially in advertisement

- - - Updated - - -

Most of that 433m from China
    LOL, you say that like it matters where that money comes from.

Oh right, because its outside the US, the center of the known universe its.. what.. not valid?

Figures.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Oh for the love of... can people stop with the "Warcraft movie would've been better if it started in the middle" whine, it wouldn't work because there's absolutely no prior world building and it would just end up being medieval version of Darth Vader.
    Doesn't LotR start basically in the middle of everything too?
    Where's the problem.

World building isn't done by telling a story from the very beginning

I'd like to see Ed Skrein as Arthas, since Jason Isaacs is too old now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavens Night View Post
    Of course you are completely wrong on both counts here. Warcraft was hugely successful in China, and China is a massive market today.
    Entertainment wise, well thats subjective of course. I enjoyed it, so did many others.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, you say that like it matters where that money comes from.

Oh right, because its outside the US, the center of the known universe its.. what.. not valid?

Figures.
    Already discussed

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Doesn't LotR start basically in the middle of everything too?
    Where's the problem.

World building isn't done by telling a story from the very beginning
    Exactly. A Song of Ice and Fire also started after Bob's Rebellion.

We already discussed this previously. The movie didn't even break even - it was a financial failure. It's also important to note, that China bans quite a few movies from being shown in the country and only allow 34 foreign films to be shown each year, which severely limits access to the latest Hollywood blockbusters. Approved films still face the heavy hand of government censors, who cut anything that is considered offensive or subversive.

So, while Warcraft did well there, it doesn't necessarily mean it was because the Chinese audiences loved the movie. It's very likely did so well over there because only so many movies are approved to be seen, and Warcraft was a big budget Blockbuster, which attracted a huge audience, not to mention, the advertising for it was huge over there. Which isn't surprising, given that the movie was also financed by a few Chinese movie production companies.

It's also a smart move - business wise - to make a movie that's also approved to be shown in China, since many people over there are somewhat desperate to see these huge movies and will go to the movie theater.

"China has no motion picture rating system, and films must therefore be deemed suitable by Chinese censors for all audiences to be allowed to screen."
    Again you miss the point.

It doesn't matter why it did well in China, the fact is it did well in China, and your opinion on the movie being garbage, is exactly that, your opinion.
    The fact remains the movie was hugely successful in China, weather you like it or want to argue that point or not.

You're just going to have to come to terms with that I'm afraid.

I understand you have some clear hate for it, that's fine. But personally I would love to see a trilogy for it and very much enjoyed it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I found Arthas but actor too old already to play DK Arthas. This how he looked in 13th Warrior.

It being successful in China doesn't disprove my previous statement. The movie still didn't break even. That means it was a financial failure.

Look, I would have loved for it to be a good movie... but I thought it was crap, which made me sad. Would I like to see a sequel? Yes, of course, but it needs to be done right.
    It was done right

Although, admittedly, the studio butchered it. They should have allowed Duncan Jones to release a Directors cut.

Okay. The Warcraft movie had a lot of problems, but starting with Warcraft 1 where the games began was not one of them. It has plenty to work with to make a good movie by summer blockbuster standards. They just didn't execute it well. Starting with Arthas would not have magically solved the actual problems of the movie or made it financially successful. In fact I think WC 3 itself would have been much harder to adapt into a movie than WC 1 if they tried to cram all four campaigns into it. If it had been an Arthas movie we would have just gotten a bad to mediocre Arthas movie. Not a great one.