Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Dealing with a toxic community

Call me thin skinned but I was doing a mythic+ 14 and at skovald two of the other players started to make references to my 'crap dps'. More polite comments would be justified, but as someone that tries to do the best I can, and was myself annoyed that I could only manage 60% of the rest of the dps when I didn't have cooldowns up, it really hit me. Now I'm left with this feeling I get every so often. Why am I playing this game? Just, why bother? The main goal in pve is to get to higher levels but when you get there it's elitist city.

How do you deal with toxic players/not let their comments bother you?

I personally show them up with inferior gear on a weak spec :3

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If their comment is valid, I go find out why my damage is not that awesome.
    About their lack of tact/education, I blame society and move on. Very hard to fix a bad personality across the internet. I try instead to be polite. Do my part, you know.

I git gud, identify the reasons for performance loss and fix them (while playing with different people)

7+ Year Old Account
    Hitch your wagon to a group that you actually like. Even if you have to take a hit to the level of competition, playing alone is just an exercise in masochism. WoW has a particularly toxic community but this basically goes for any online game as far as I'm concerned.

I pull my weight and never get comments like that.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    I personally show them up with inferior gear on a weak spec :3
    Suuuuuuure you did:P I've played this game for longer than I probably should have, And most of the "elitist" idiots I've come across, have been because they're good, They're idiots, but they know how to play, Those sorts of people you cannot "show up" when having "inferior gear on a weak spec". I highly doubt, if even true, that you've been thinking of elitists, and you've probably just encountered, -idiots-

10+ Year Old Account
    People are toxic in every game, anonymity sure makes assholes brave! Just say fuck them and move on, if you feel you aren't performing as well as you could do some research and try to get better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple. I play with friends and people from my guild.

The whole concept of grouping up with random strangers in a community like the one that exists in World of Warcraft is just so strange. I won't do it any longer. If I'm in something like LFR I do my stuff and hide the chat channel. Blizzard needs to think about how to address this because the game community is famously hostile and trying to be social is as likely to kick you in the head as lead to a decent experience.

I think it's OK to be thin-skinned but you have to understand that you are and accept what comes along. No one logs onto the game to endure a bunch of insults. If you can't deal with that then don't play with strangers. It was good advice when you were a kid. It's OK advice now.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I can't pug something without being able to switch my chat log to combat log and turn my brain off then I don't do it. It's really more of a detriment though because I'm essentially at the mercy of a guild which is basically at that "holy shit, 5 people are on!" stage so I don't do a whole lot when it comes to raiding or mythic+.

I think it's less thin skinned and more trying not to implode while trying to understand how people can be so stupid.

Thinking about using all this pet battle money for a server transfer since Eldre'Thalas on the Horde is a ghost town.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-09-07 at 08:57 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by GKLeatherCraft View Post
    Suuuuuuure you did:P I've played this game for longer than I probably should have, And most of the "elitist" idiots I've come across, have been because they're good, They're idiots, but they know how to play, Those sorts of people you cannot "show up" when having "inferior gear on a weak spec". I highly doubt, if even true, that you've been thinking of elitists, and you've probably just encountered, -idiots-
    Ive played since BC :3

And I can keep up on my fresh 110 900ilvl frost mage with no legendarys to 4 piece 2 throughput 920 mages

might just be them being bad though

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    Ive played since BC :3
    And I play Warcraft since Wc2.

OT:
    Play with guild/friends, read guides, learn from mistakes and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    And I play Warcraft since Wc2.

OT:
    Play with guild/friends, read guides, learn from mistakes and you'll be fine.
    I mean if were going that far

I'm so bitter my wc3 account with the 1500random win icon got deleted from inactivity

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    If you're queuing in the group finder for a 7.3 level +14 then you should already know what people are going to expect of you. If you don't meet those expectations to the point that you are becoming a liability to the likelihood of the group's success, you can expect to hear about it. As much as you don't like to take shit from "elitists", dedicated players don't like having to waste their time with players who appeared on the surface to be geared but misrepresented their experience/ability. And yes, the mere act of queuing for current +14s no matter what you said, implies that you are capable of performing to an optimum level for your class/gear/role.
    This this this.

+14 isnt something to be messing around with when others take that more seriously. I sure as hell would be pretty upset if i used my key and a dps is under performing. Especilly if you have limited time to play atm, like me.

Honestly you should get some thick skin and realize that either a) you dont have the ilvl for that specified difficulty or b) do more research on your class to get your dps up to par.

I'm sure he was probably pretty vulgar and assholeish about it but that's life man. You getting upset and crying on a forum about does nothing. People are always going to be assholes. Best thing you can do is up your dps to where your kicking his ass.

If you're only doing 60% of their dps you're not pulling your weight.

Git gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

That's not true. Most of the elitists I know from this game are people who generally do damage that would parse them in the upper 65-80th percentiles on log sites. That's still pretty good bu it's definitely possible to be a player who parses in the 90-95th percentile for your item level and out dps them with worse gear. Those super high end players usually understand how much dps somebody should be doing reasonably for their item level and not complain when somebody in 910 gear only does 60-70% of their 935+ dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to ignore the toxic parts and only zone in on constructive things, you know, the useful information.

That, and I have a slight enjoyment of seeing someone rage just to be proven wrong..

- - - Updated - - -

Most elitists I've come across lately, are flavour of the month selection speccs, and some dumbass behind it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

A lot of comment here basically hit the nail on the head. If you're doing 60% of their damage there's a pretty big problem unless you paid them for a carry. They could voice their concerns in a more charismatic way but in their defense it's annoying feeling like you're carrying someone/having your time wasted because of underperforming players. If you truly care about improving and doing high level PvE content I would go to you class discord and ask questions there, learn to use Simc, and log your fights so that you can analyze them and figure out where you're going wrong. The class discords (at least the pally one where I hang out) are generally filled with very knowledgeable and helpful players who could read your logs and figure out exactly what you're doing wrong. I'd avoid basically any other source of class specific information (icy veins, wowhead guides, noxxic, youtubers) when you're trying to min max as those guides are meant in a very general sense. I've learned more from the Prot Paladin discord in the past 8-10 months than I have from every other source in my history of playing wow. If other class discords are even half as useful then that's where you want to be.

Gotta get better man. Get to the point that you are carrying them. A 14 is serious right now. You should expect to do crazy damage in there for sure. Otherwise reroll tank.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

When did one group represent the community? For most part wow doesn't have much toxicity compared to other online games, unless you go looking for it.