Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

US has the worst educational system known to science

Source:

God i love this guy, i listen to him on hangovers, but is he right on this one?

I think a lot of ambitious poor people in poorer countries see education as the path to wealth and prosperity.

The US has the H1-B visa program where a poor man in India say, can work really hard at school, come to the US and make a ton of money. The US benefits from his genius.

I don't think the US educational system is broken. If you take that poor man in India and transplant him to the US, he does just as well.

The problem is our students often don't want to learn STEM stuff for a variety of reasons. But if you do want to learn STEM the system is there that allows you to learn it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

When you consider how many Americans believe in intelligent design and creation fairy tales, yes, i think he is very right! One of the problems is the states that are trying to put alternative facts into there curriculum.

Deleted
    Michio Kaku is more than a bit cuckoo and a complete shill for dumbass "what if" -programs on horrible TV channels, and not at all a proper scientist who sticks to proper science, but I can't say I doubt him too much in this case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah when you teach kids not to have any measurable self control too much confidence and allow them benchmarks to answer ABC or D with a 25% chance of getting it right by at least guessing instead of knowing the answer then yes we get lots of dumbasses. More important to own valueables and talking about values. Rather than being valuable as a human being and having compassion.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

He's right about the H1-B. I would say the biggest problem with American high schools and colleges is that they completely lack rigor now hence why so many people are able to graduate. They are also run by people who are deluded enough to believe they can make a scientist (or any profession that requires a high IQ) out of anyone when many are just too far left on the bell curve of intelligence. Hence one of Charles Murray's four simple truths in education: "Half of the children are below average."

The metric most often used to poorly rank the US on international educational performance is the PISA. I don't think that test is a fair metric since students in Asia and Europe probably care more about their performance than American students who get absolutely nothing out of taking it. I also have a hard time believing Israel performs below the US in math.

You also have to take into account that if states like Massachusetts and Connecticut were the only ones taking the PISA, the US would perform much better on it without being dragged down by states like Alabama. When you are talking about innovation in Silicon Valley like Kaku is, you really only need to worry about the top and not the bottom of performance.
    Last edited by Deletedaccount1; 2017-09-09 at 06:56 AM.

US universities are ranked in the top by all ranking measures.
    People from all over the world, go to US for studies even with its ridiculous pricing
    There are more than 350 Nobel laureates from US
    Surely they must be doing something right.

In any case, it is FAR FAR FAR from the "worst system known to science". The rankings alone, suggest it is one of the best

Family support + dedicated students trump the education system. Lowell High School is known as the place where the SF School District dump their worst teachers and channel their best middle school students. Overcrowded, crappy student teacher ratio, outdated buildings/labs/athletic facilities, dirty, under maintained, etc. Yet, academically the school is ranked 51st in the US, their students accepted at top ranked universities, and winning numerous academic and athletic competitions.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2017-09-09 at 08:09 AM.

Deleted
    Wait, isnt that the guy you sometimes see in these wacky time travel/aliens shows on discovery?

it's pretty weird for people all over the world to come to our country for school when we have the worst educational system.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I am pretty sure it's better than the one in Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    Source:

God i love this guy, i listen to him on hangovers, but is he right on this one?
    Got even worst with DeVos and the feds defunding of the public school system in favor of private school. You'll need to pay to get educated. So poor people stay poor.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    it's pretty weird for people all over the world to come to our country for school when we have the worst educational system.
    K-12 is a problem (depending on where you go) but as for college, literally 31 out of the top 100 universities in the world are in the US

Deleted
    Why would you have some entertainment source for that? This alone is prove US lost it.

US has the most fragmented and so most elitist group of people who are educated.

Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    K-12 is a problem (depending on where you go) but as for college, literally 31 out of the top 100 universities in the world are in the US
    Yep, and it costs the students quite a shitton of money. It would be sad if a university wasn't in the top 100 given budgets of several billions annually.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    I thought everybody knew this already.

Hyperbolic claim is hyperbole.

For one thing, right off the bat, the US is so large and its education system varies from state to state generally as a baseline before we even get to the differences in wealthy vs poor districts, that education received varies wildly. You can argue this is part of the problem, but it also makes it preposterous to try and lump-sum the very different experiences and state the cumulative is objectively the worst.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because "education" in the US isn't about learning, it's about indoctrination.

I mean we still encourage kids to believe in imaginary friends and to visit them every Sunday and potentially weeds.

Of course they're dumb.

(Infracted)
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-09-10 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Because "education" in the US isn't about learning, it's about indoctrination.
    Indoctrination in what?