View Poll Results: Should the homeless be evacuated from the storm against their will?

Voters
146. This poll is closed
  • Yes

115 78.77%
  • Np

31 21.23%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    You can offer to help, but like with suicide a person should be free to do as he pleases unless they aren't mentally stable enough to make a right call themselves.

Unpopular opinion though that people should be free to kill themselves or in this case choose to face danger instead of "safety".
    Suicide is illegal. Cant dodge your taxes that easy son

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Homeless people should have a safe space to commit suicide in peace. Its not hurting anyone unless they do it on the highway
    I don't care if they're suicidal or not, most of these homeless people refusing to leave aren't capable of making forward thinking choices or are simply paranoid about being hauled off. in either case it's best for everyone that they be forced into whatever "safe space" they have before the storm hits rather than getting in the way or getting cleaned up after the fact.

Deleted
    Suicide is illegal. Cant dodge your taxes that easy son
    Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's right. As I said, I'm pro freedom to do with your life what you want.

Not a very popular opinion, everybody is pro freedom...as long people agree with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I don't care if they're suicidal or not, most of these homeless people refusing to leave aren't capable of making forward thinking choices or are simply paranoid about being hauled off. in either case it's best for everyone that they be forced into whatever "safe space" they have before the storm hits rather than getting in the way or getting cleaned up after the fact.
    I prefer people spending time and money on people who do value their life. If somebody doesn't value their life than sure as hell I won't put any value on it.

Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's right. As I said, I'm pro freedom to do with your life what you want.

Not a very popular opinion, everybody is pro freedom...as long people agree with them.
    it's not a popular opinion because in this situation it's fucking stupid.

I'm for euthanasia. Should be able to end your life if you are sick or in pain with no hope of recovery.

Saying its ok for people to commit suicide could be a slippery slope that promotes it for kids/easily influenced

I prefer people spending time and money on people who do value their life. If somebody doesn't value their life than sure as hell I won't put any value on it.
    you're working off of a hypothetical that these people are suicidal and not the reality which is these people are incapable of making smart choices for themselves. if you're suicidal there are thousands of better ways of offing yourself then dying in a hurricane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    you're working off of a hypothetical that these people are suicidal and not the reality which is these people are incapable of making smart choices for themselves.
    I'm working of the hypothetical that these people are mostly sane.

Making smart choices? Probably not, but still a choice. Mentally stable =/= guaranteed smart choices. I never said they are suicidal, if they were they wouldn't be hanging around in misery on the cold streets.

They're homeless......

Deleted
    I'm for euthanasia. Should be able to end your life if you are sick or in pain with no hope of recovery.

Saying its ok for people to commit suicide could be a slippery slope that promotes it for kids/easily influenced
    Any adult should have this option, so that would be 18 or 21 I guess in most civilized countries. Personally I think anyone at the age of 21 is capable of deciding if they want to stay alive or not. This is not what the topic is at hand though.

Let's stick to the topic at hand where the choice is to face danger or run to safety. Suicide doesn't apply.

- - - Updated - - -

They're homeless......
    Ever talked to homeless people? They either are unlucky or made stupid choices, that doesn't make them mentally handicapped.

they're not. if they were chances are high they wouldn't be homeless.
    Making smart choices? Probably not, but still a choice. Mentally stable =/= guaranteed smart choices. I never said they are suicidal, if they were they wouldn't be hanging around in misery on the cold streets.
    yeah so, they're not sane, and can't make decisions like that for themselves, you're undermining your own argument here.

People typically don't have the right to harm themselves around here.

Ever talked to homeless people? They either are unlucky or made stupid choices, that doesn't make them mentally handicapped.
    Yeah.... "most" homeless people just made a few bad turns down the road......

None of them have addiction issues or mental health problems

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    You do understand you talking about human beings, correct?

Again, Removing the freedom of people without them being seriously mentally ill or being a threat to others is not moral at all.

It's not a matter of "leaving" anyone. It's a matter of people being able to make their own decisions. Unless you are saying people don't have the right to freedom anymore?

There is a major difference between offering help and FORCING someone to do something.
    What is the point of "freedom" if you are dead? They are so not being kept for the duration of the storm under shelter.. boohoo. If someone doesn't regard their safety they are obviously not mentally stable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    What is the point of "freedom" if you are dead? They are so not being kept for the duration of the storm under shelter.. boohoo. If someone doesn't regard their safety they are obviously not mentally stable.
    I love how the same people in this thread that say "fuck these homeless people, I would've just left them there if they don't wanna go" are so concerned with these peoples freedoms. So you don't care if they die or not, but you do care that they are mildly inconvenienced by being taken out of that area? That's supposed to be a violation of their freedom and worse than death?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991
    Again, Removing the freedom of people without them being seriously mentally ill or being a threat to others is not moral at all.
    You are not "removing the freedom" of someone if you take them out of an area. If you get thrown out of a concert because you punched the barkeeper, they'll lead you to the door. Are they removing your freedom? No, because you are still free to go wherever the fuck you want. Just not into that concert hall. Same with the hurricane. You are free to go where you want to, except that area where you will die. To call the rescuing of these people immoral is just ridiculous. Do you really think that you are standing on the side of morality with this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos
    Do you really think that if you say "it's not ok to commit suicide" that any person will be stopped by this? I mean so what if it's not ok? Not like they have to deal with any consequences.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    still not a viable cause
    Yes it is lol

"Sir that volcano is errupting"
    "NO IT ISNT"
    "But sir"
    "FUCK OFF"

That's mentally unhinged

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's right to evacuate them but it's sad that a lot of them are just Gona be tossed back onto the street afterwards without getting the care they need. @Aelion I don't what homeless people you talked to but nearly every homeless I met during charity events I worked at in my town had either mental problems(one guy was a rich enough to buy multiple houses in his time here but he kept losing them for various mental reasons) or an addict.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Yes it is lol

"NO IT ISNT"
    "But sir"
    "FUCK OFF"

That's mentally unhinged
    "None of my concerns"

Now what ?
    Last edited by ranzino; 2017-09-11 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    "Non of my concerns"

Now what ?
    Then you're not unhinged, just an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    You are not "removing the freedom" of someone if you take them out of an area. If you get thrown out of a concert because you punched the barkeeper, they'll lead you to the door. Are they removing your freedom? No, because you are still free to go wherever the fuck you want. Just not into that concert hall. Same with the hurricane. You are free to go where you want to, except that area where you will die. To call the rescuing of these people immoral is just ridiculous. Do you really think that you are standing on the side of morality with this?
    I'm not sure you read the OP. This wasn't a matter of being simply forcefully moved to a different location.

"What's your name?" asked Dr. Mohammad Nisar, a psychiatrist who was looking for evidence of mental illness, a necessary factor for a Baker Act detention."

"Invoking the "Baker Act" — a law that enables authorities to institutionalize patients who present a danger to themselves or others — is not something law enforcement does lightly, but officers detained at least six people by Friday afternoon. Under the law, they can be held up to 72 hours before the state would have to go to court to prolong their detention."

There was never any intention of moving people to a different location. They decided to round people up and institutionalize them.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2017-09-10 at 09:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    they can be held up to 72 hours
    Oh no, 3 days, how awful. I was drunk once and they kept me for 12 hours. So? They probably were in a state where that was justifiable. That is normal. If people are really crazy they get institutionalized forever. Is this new to you?