Photoshop Sub Question?

So I am looking to get a Photoshop like program and was curious if it makes sense to do the sub thing with Adobe Photoshop or if there is a similar program I can just buy that wont cost and arm and a leg. From my understanding I cancel the sub anytime with no issues so it probably makes sense to go with it. However i was just curious if there is anything else out on the market.

Some free stuff is Gimp and Krita, there is also Inscape for vector graphics. Most of these are meant for linux but they all have windows versions too.

They work well for what I do. Photoshop is king but photoshop costs $600 for a license.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Not sure if things have changed yet again, but I think the point is that you can't even buy a license as such any longer. The latest versions of all Adobe products are subscription only. I run old, old, old CS3 in Windows 7 because I just have no fucks to give and it serves my perhaps modest needs.

I Honestly hate upgrading to new stuff just to have to relearn the UI, etc. The stuff I already know how to use and own outright is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboardjenkins View Post
    So I am looking to get a Photoshop like program and was curious if it makes sense to do the sub thing with Adobe Photoshop or if there is a similar program I can just buy that wont cost and arm and a leg. From my understanding I cancel the sub anytime with no issues so it probably makes sense to go with it. However i was just curious if there is anything else out on the market.
    Get CS2 for free and legally on adobes website, if they are still doing it that is... it's an old version but still works pretty well.

I'll second a vote for Gimp. I had a license for an older version of Photoshop, but lost it. I ended up trying out Gimp because I really wasn't looking forward to buying another license for PS. Turns out, Gimp is a pretty amazing piece of free software. The key functionality is all there and well done, and if you use Photoshop, the UI should feel very familiar.

Gimp is quite powerful, if you want to take the time to get into it. And it's free.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.