Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    This is such a hard topic because I really love WoW. I've played since the first week of Vanilla but Legion put in a place where I was getting burned out far faster in an expansion which lead me to FFXIV. I love FFXIV because of the story-driven content and the crafting system. WoW would be infinitely better if it adopted some of the crafting things from FF. Despite my love for FFXIV, I find myself going back to WoW after a month away from it because of the nostalgia. I seem to swing back and forth between these two because each fulfills a necessity I have for MMOs.

Final Fantasy's community is a lot more friendly and relaxed, I quit mainly due to the fact that I didn't want to associate myself or grew tired of hardcore raiding, which eventually just turned into not hardcore raiding, but mindless Korean grind fest. The current WoW is a shadow of what it used to be and I was wise to quit pre-cata. There are situations which call upon seriousness within the raiding scenario of ffxiv, but it is by no means hardcore, and that's what is refreshing about it, whether you're a casual player or a hardcore player, you're all on the same level.

The calling is more like a feeling of "You'll never find a game like this", just experience it with a pinch of salt, and see if you like it or not, some people prefer WoW over FFXIV and that's completely fine, just give it a month or two, and if it's something you'd like to play, then you have your answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok wanted to add recently resubbed to wow just for the f of it. Annnd frankly if they didn't force people into stuff like mythic or raid tiers they just don't enjoy I feel like it would be a MUCH better off game. Just been casually unlocking stuff and having fun

Ffxiv as I have said before I feel has a MUCH better balance and offers more to players regardless of playstyle without forced raiding. And the few few places they do force stuff is generally just fun or not gated.

Also one character unlocks all works too damn well..thinking wow needs to try to replicate it with stuff like making rep account bound among other things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Also one character unlocks all works too damn well..thinking wow needs to try to replicate it with stuff like making rep account bound among other things.
    I'd probably play WoW much more if I could use my main character's currency etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ok wanted to add recently resubbed to wow just for the f of it. Annnd frankly if they didn't force people into stuff like mythic or raid tiers they just don't enjoy I feel like it would be a MUCH better off game. Just been casually unlocking stuff and having fun

Ffxiv as I have said before I feel has a MUCH better balance and offers more to players regardless of playstyle without forced raiding. And the few few places they do force stuff is generally just fun or not gated.

The job system was really one of the deciding factors i finally dropped WoW but i don't think it would work as well in WoW where characters are so tied to their race and factions and so on. Plus things like Death Knights and Demon Hunters and so on. In FFXIV my character became a Red Mage by meeting a red mage, putting down their daggers and picking up a rapier and trained. Can't really write it off the same way with things like that.

Though i did always like the original idea for wrath that you selected an existing max level character to die and become a death knight rather than just a new random asshole you roll up out of nowhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    I'd probably play WoW much more if I could use my main character's currency etc.
    I doubt I'd get bored within a month or two when I resub (not even close to old addiction more just meh bored and a new patch came out time to see what I can get done) but the rep grinds and flight grind are just a pita imo..plus the way they did story/leveling in legion makes it extremely alt unfriendly

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    The job system was really one of the deciding factors i finally dropped WoW but i don't think it would work as well in WoW where characters are so tied to their race and factions and so on. Plus things like Death Knights and Demon Hunters and so on. In FFXIV my character became a Red Mage by meeting a red mage, putting down their daggers and picking up a rapier and trained. Can't really write it off the same way with things like that.

Though i did always like the original idea for wrath that you selected an existing max level character to die and become a death knight rather than just a new random asshole you roll up out of nowhere.
    Oh I know would never work in wow why I suggested just going account bound on stuff like rep and as another said currencies..hell even limit it to a server if needed but would be a great way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Yes, the playing out of nostalgia part can take years to get out of your system. The game headed in the wrong direction for something like 8 years before I decided that enough was enough.
    Honestly Silent Hill kind of inoculated me to that shit. Repeated bad sequels by different people was a firm reminder that the name on the box doesnt mean its the thing you love or even made by the people that made what you love. One day i was just playing WoW in this example and found myself going "I'm not actually having fun, what the hell am i doing?" and i quit mid lfr, uninstalled the game and cancelled my sub.
    Folks can attach a lot of love to a brand and i'll always have fond memories of going from Warcraft III to exploring Tirisfal Glades for the first time but if you aren't having fun eventually you gotta ask yourself if you are playing a game for fun or just because of the time and money already put in.

and the latter tends to turn people into those bitter as fuck keyboard warriors defending a brand because they equate criticism of it with personal attack and that shits for the birds.

I joined WoW during WoTLK. Since then, my cycle has been - play for a few months, take a break, play for a few months .....
    The only expansion I missed out was on WoD since I came back about a month before the launch of legion. But given the kind of reactions I have been reading about, I don't think I missed anything.
    Now legion ...the only reason I am still playing it is because I am in a super friendly guild. But I have gone from playing 2 hours a day (more on weekends)
    to barely 20 minutes these days. Some days I don't even do that.
    I really want to try out FF 14, but I am a little wary of the franchise after the WTF that was FF13 series

7+ Year Old Account
    I've tried final fantasy xiv a lot on an off but I always come across the same issues. The story at the start was really interesting but to me quickly went downhill, so many oh shit moments were basically taken back. I found the ending of the first story line with the "assassination" and loss of our comrades really compelling, shit hit the fan and it splattered everywhere, but then so quickly it was basically taken away they didn't die it was almost inconsequential to the point it almost killed the whole story for me. Heavansward was okay but didn't hook me story wise.

Another thing I don't get in that game is the levelling, the first time it sucks all you want to do is the areas where the story takes you like most mmos but you are frequently the wrong level so go grind fates, leves and the slowest dungeons in the world, seriously how can people be okay with how long it takes to kill random mobs. This isn't entertaining it essentially breaks the story up and stops you from being invested or even wanting to play because face it doing higher level fates on your own sucks. I don't understand how potd is the fastes way to level I got sick of being a dragon so I felt like playing a range, tried a machinist because I always loved Balthier, it was really really slow, I put on a movie to get me through the grind, by the time it was finished I had only levelled twice, seriously 2hrs and only 2 levels farming dungeons used to be faster I swear.

I did the classes really clunky as well it just doesn't flow very well. Something I need to know wtf do you do at max level? Hunts are useless dalies don't take long, farming the same lfr 20x a day is monotonous I just don't know what you are meant to do. In wow I hop on, do my cache, invasions and all argus rares then I do my daily dungeon and get ready for a real raid. I raid in wow because I enjoy my guild and even though we are a mythic guild it's not a toxic atmosphere. In ff raids no one ever talked when I was in them it was get in get out and done, not to mention being in Aus makes the latency so bloody bad I can't really do extreme bosses while current.

I tried to like the game I did play it a lot but I get bored every time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lithuvien View Post
    I joined WoW during WoTLK. Since then, my cycle has been - play for a few months, take a break, play for a few months .....
    The only expansion I missed out was on WoD since I came back about a month before the launch of legion. But given the kind of reactions I have been reading about, I don't think I missed anything.
    Now legion ...the only reason I am still playing it is because I am in a super friendly guild. But I have gone from playing 2 hours a day (more on weekends)
    to barely 20 minutes these days. Some days I don't even do that.
    I really want to try out FF 14, but I am a little wary of the franchise after the WTF that was FF13 series
    Honestly ffxiv is the first true FF since ix imo it is AMAZING and I say go for the trial at least

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chappyzilla View Post
    I've tried final fantasy xiv a lot on an off but I always come across the same issues. The story at the start was really interesting but to me quickly went downhill, so many oh shit moments were basically taken back. I found the ending of the first story line with the "assassination" and loss of our comrades really compelling, shit hit the fan and it splattered everywhere, but then so quickly it was basically taken away they didn't die it was almost inconsequential to the point it almost killed the whole story for me. Heavansward was okay but didn't hook me story wise.

Another thing I don't get in that game is the levelling, the first time it sucks all you want to do is the areas where the story takes you like most mmos but you are frequently the wrong level so go grind fates, leves and the slowest dungeons in the world, seriously how can people be okay with how long it takes to kill random mobs. This isn't entertaining it essentially breaks the story up and stops you from being invested or even wanting to play because face it doing higher level fates on your own sucks. I don't understand how potd is the fastes way to level I got sick of being a dragon so I felt like playing a range, tried a machinist because I always loved Balthier, it was really really slow, I put on a movie to get me through the grind, by the time it was finished I had only levelled twice, seriously 2hrs and only 2 levels farming dungeons used to be faster I swear.

I did the classes really clunky as well it just doesn't flow very well. Something I need to know wtf do you do at max level? Hunts are useless dalies don't take long, farming the same lfr 20x a day is monotonous I just don't know what you are meant to do. In wow I hop on, do my cache, invasions and all argus rares then I do my daily dungeon and get ready for a real raid. I raid in wow because I enjoy my guild and even though we are a mythic guild it's not a toxic atmosphere. In ff raids no one ever talked when I was in them it was get in get out and done, not to mention being in Aus makes the latency so bloody bad I can't really do extreme bosses while current.

I tried to like the game I did play it a lot but I get bored every time
    Wjat are you after at endgame tomestones? If so you can do hunts potd, diadem especially with a new one coming out dungeons raids just kill time at gold saucer plenty to do. Hell do maps or other classes really is up to you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappyzilla View Post

I did the classes really clunky as well it just doesn't flow very well.
    what do you mean, you "did the classes"?

If you are talking about jobs, then I'd have to disagree simply because the flow is pretty obvious, strict and clean.

As for things to do, I'd have to agree - I have more stuff to do in Legion than in FFXIV... and the grind in FFXIV (tokens/tomestones) is much more tedious. But Legion is in a really good spot right now.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-09-17 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Just curious what method/location did you acquire the 20% difference between 320 and 340?
    Sorry I've been wrapped up in several different things lately and totally forgot about this. The 20% was just bad eyeball math based on the maximum output simmed by the guys that do the samurai theorycraft in the balance channels. It also wasn't accurate, the 320 set they tested was 87.02% of the output of the BiS excluding buffs and whatnot, so my response wasn't even accurate, which is my fault.

/edit https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=512087865

That's the google do with their results on the samurai stuff, since it's accurate and I was far from it.

I should also mention that samurai probably isn't a good class to base comparisons on, because it's simply powerful, and there are people who posted screenshots of logs of a samurai doing 4200 dps the other day despite not finishing combos and going long periods of times without using gcds, I really wish something like that would be addressed.
    Last edited by Vargarii; 2017-09-18 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

Quote Originally Posted by Geeky View Post
    This is such a hard topic because I really love WoW. I've played since the first week of Vanilla but Legion put in a place where I was getting burned out far faster in an expansion which lead me to FFXIV. I love FFXIV because of the story-driven content and the crafting system. WoW would be infinitely better if it adopted some of the crafting things from FF. Despite my love for FFXIV, I find myself going back to WoW after a month away from it because of the nostalgia. I seem to swing back and forth between these two because each fulfills a necessity I have for MMOs.
    Legion....

Burnout?

....k.

- - - Updated - - -

For me, I play both. They're both fun games. However, if I want more badass and powerful, and less weak/weeb shit, then I play WoW. However, for less RNG, I play FFXIV.

Art wise, I give WoW a point. Same thing with Music. Idc who you are, FFXIV's music pales when compared to WoW.

Gameplay wise, they're both equal. However, I give FFXIV the point for less RNG.

Lore-wise, WoW. While FFXIV is rich with lore, it just doesn't compare to its past counterparts. However, in WoW, the Story is pretty much like a Saga.

For example:

Chapter 1: The First War. (Ages 0-5)

Chapter 2: The Second War. (Ages 6-8)

Chapter 3: The Reign Of Chaos/The Frozen Throne. (Ages 20-22)

Chapter 4: Awakenings. (Age 25)

Chapter 5: The Burning Crusade, AKA The Fall Of The Betrayer, and the Rise of Kil'jaeden. (Age 26)

Chapter 6: Wrath Of The Lich King, and the Rebellion of both Light, and Death. (Age 27)

Chapter 7: The Cataclysm, And The Breaking Of The World. (Age 28)

Chapter 8: Mists Of Pandaria, and The Faction War's Prime. (Age 30)

Chapter 9: Warlords Of Draenor, and the Rise of the Legion.(Age 31)

Chapter 10: Legion, and Sargeras' Downfall. (Age 32)

Chapter 11: ???

And so forth. You can at least know that each expansion is its own continuating Story. However, with FFXIV, there's so much new Lore all over the place, that you kind of get bored with it all, and less excited. :/ Doesn't really bring in MUCH Story Progression, other than Character Dialogues, and shit.
    Last edited by TheFirstOnes; 2017-09-18 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    Art wise, I give WoW a point. Same thing with Music. Idc who you are, FFXIV's music pales when compared to WoW.

I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that. FFXIV is downright gorgeous, whereas wow feels cartoonish to me. Also the music, I've never had any music that I'd simply get on youtube to listen to in WoW the was I have with XIV.

Even on lore, while there is a lot, I think there's a lot to be said about the way you encounter and experience the lore in XIV compared to WoW, and the fact that there's some lore you can no longer experience in WoW because of revamps over the years.

Different strokes for different folks, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

I can actually give you a lot of what you said. It's all subjective. But this line. Art is art. I can see how people may like WoW's art style more. But the music? I have only ever heard glowing praise about FF 14's music. It's widely loved, and one of the few MMO sound tracks i've ever heard of people just listening to on it's own. WoW has some pieces here and there that we all have a soft spot for, but mostly it's all just ambient music to set a mood. I would never go out of my way to just listen to it like I do FF 14's.

Again it's all subjective, but to make it out to be some universally agreed upon item is just not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
    I can actually give you a lot of what you said. It's all subjective. But this line. Art is art. I can see how people may like WoW's art style more. But the music? I have only ever heard glowing praise about FF 14's music. It's widely loved, and one of the few MMO sound tracks i've ever heard of people just listening to on it's own. WoW has some pieces here and there that we all have a soft spot for, but mostly it's all just ambient music to set a mood. I would never go out of my way to just listen to it like I do FF 14's.

Again it's all subjective, but to make it out to be some universally agreed upon item is just not true.
    The thing about the FFXIV Music is this: There aren't MANY Ambient tracks. Hell, even in the Raid Boss Music pieces, it's not that memorable. The Raid Boss music pieces range from Chaotic, badass, and so forth. However, while they CAN be good, they're missing something. Idk what it is, but it kind of misses a crucial detail. Idk, maybe it's missing the memorable/classical MMO Musical feel to it. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Vargarii View Post
    I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that. FFXIV is downright gorgeous, whereas wow feels cartoonish to me. Also the music, I've never had any music that I'd simply get on youtube to listen to in WoW the was I have with XIV.

Even on lore, while there is a lot, I think there's a lot to be said about the way you encounter and experience the lore in XIV compared to WoW, and the fact that there's some lore you can no longer experience in WoW because of revamps over the years.

Different strokes for different folks, though.
    There's also the time-warp factor of how you can create a character in WoW now (a panda make this all the more hilarious), go from events/quests in the MoP era timeline only to end up essentially going back in time upon hitting TBC quests/zones, still being back in time upon reaching WotLK areas, only to finally get to the proper time frame upon reaching level 85. It's a very bizzare experience if you think about it for a moment.

I cannot recall running into such a thing in FF14 outside of the job quests; there was a lot of commotion brought up with how the DRG 30-50 quest line comes across if you leveled DRG after having reached level 60 on another job and completed HW's MSQ up to whatever point. The devs stated it as the job quests being in a time bubble based on when they were implemented. So a similar thing exists in FF14, only I'd call it a bit less egregious.

The thing about the FFXIV Music is this: There aren't MANY Ambient tracks. Hell, even in the Raid Boss Music pieces, it's not that memorable. The Raid Boss music pieces range from Chaotic, badass, and so forth. However, while they CAN be good, they're missing something. Idk what it is, but it kind of misses a crucial detail. Idk, maybe it's missing the memorable/classical MMO Musical feel to it. :/
    Again, that's subjective. It's ok if you feel that way, but don't make a comment like "IDC who you are" and try to make it out like that's universally accepted when the music is one of the most praised aspects i've seen of the game, to the point that the devs even had implemented orchestrations rolls that are highly sought after as a reward for completing content. I find the music is amazing. It's one of the biggest things I miss when playing other games.

I don't like when people make absolute statements like that, because it's not an absolute at all. WoW has some good tone setting music, but I can't think of any when out of the game, but I frequently listen to FF 14 music at work. To me, the gap between the two is fairly large, and not in WoWs favor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    There's also the time-warp factor of how you can create a character in WoW now (a panda make this all the more hilarious), go from events/quests in the MoP era timeline only to end up essentially going back in time upon hitting TBC quests/zones, still being back in time upon reaching WotLK areas, only to finally get to the proper time frame upon reaching level 85. It's a very bizzare experience if you think about it for a moment.

I cannot recall running into such a thing in FF14 outside of the job quests; there was a lot of commotion brought up with how the DRG 30-50 quest line comes across if you leveled DRG after having reached level 60 on another job and completed HW's MSQ up to whatever point. The devs stated it as the job quests being in a time bubble based on when they were implemented. So a similar thing exists in FF14, only I'd call it a bit less egregious.
    I honestly have a headcannon about the time stuff where so much insane magical crap went down in those areas they are stuck in a form of temporal loop that attuned to each person who enters

Hut yeah unless they completely revamp the world again ffxiv will always be a more cohesive story

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Same.

I enjoy playing FFXIV more for the simple ability of me being able to play multiple jobs, being able to gear one while playing another and more importantly for me, queue into a dungeon with one while doing something else on another.

The only thing SB needs now is some beat tribe dailies for me to do and a new Deep Dungeon because as of right now, I'm just not interested in playing for more than 1-1.5 hours (or however long it takes to do Trials, Leveling, 50/60 and Expert Roulette) on the days I do decide to play because I just want to be leveling right now and I will not just grind FATEs...not again...after so many months doing it in 2.0 and again and again and again throughout the game for Relics, Animas, Events, etc... I'm just done with FATE's for the most part.