Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it just me or is the lore getting rather predictable and cliched

Now Alleria is going all dark anti hero, I half expected it.

Same ol doom doom destruction. You could almost tell Illida. Was going to do something reckless like destroy Xe'ra. They were never going to make him got all good.

I just get this. "I'm not really surprised " feeling or "ofc they have to write this outcome" sense with most new revelations
    Last edited by Beloren; 2017-09-14 at 09:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    If lore is getting liched does it mean we will get return of the lich king expansion ?

OT: It was predictable and cliche for a very long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long warcraft stays mmo format, it is predicted (sadly), because we know for fact that we will never lose, and alliance and horde will always stay 2 factions
    Because tbh the scourge was able to wipe us all out, yet the effect in wow is barely noticeable, we just know from book that stormwind suffered massive casualties, but in-game we see almost no sign, stormwind is supposed to lost minimum 1/5 of its entire population yet not a single one 'lost' from the city in-game, and we don't even know what the horde lost beside Saurfang jr
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

I dunno, I've been getting pretty surprised with what they've been doing for a long time now.,

Just in a "I can't believe they're doing this-this is so stupid" sort of way...

I've basically resigned myself to just never bothering to speculate on Blizzard Lore because it doesn't follow a narrative logical pattern-it just gets fired from the hip.

I don't know. I mean, it can get kinda cliché every now and then, but every time I see a cinematic from this patch I get even more hyped.

Deleted
    Just looking at this expansion. I did not expect Illidan to come back.. again. I didn't expect to see Suramar ever. Didn't expect Varian to die to start the expac. Didn't expect we would go to Argus (before it was announced way too early) and so on. It's never really about winning or losing for me, how we get where we're going is more interesting and that hasn't been that predictable for me. Everything making sense is completely another question.

You can tell what happens with the lore because it happens at the same time in their other games.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Now Alleria is going all dark anti hero, I half expected it.

Same ol doom doom destruction. You could almost tell Illida. Was going to do something reckless like destroy Xe'ra. They were never going to make him got all good.

I just get this. "I'm not really surprised " feeling or "ofc they have to write this outcome" sense with most new revelations
    I would not say that the death of Xe'ra was predictable, but that is mostly because she had little pressence at all in the story, so it was hard to predict what they would do with her, if anything at all.

I would not agree, that is becoming more predicable, but it is a bit cliche. Blizzard have for a long time now found it hard to create story, that is not full of cliches or just a boring in general. Everything is told in the fastests way possible, with as many characters as possible and with as little focus as possible. I think the procedure is proberly what makes you feel like things are so predictable, because when Blizzard starts a sub-story, it always have a clear purpose. The tale of Alleria started out with us knowing that she had done something to anger Xe'ra and Turalyon, which made it easy to see, that she was going to be a shadow to Turalyons light.

The same with Illidan. He has been an ass since we freed him in Nighthold, so it was nearly impossible for him to have a positive encounter with Xe'ra, because that would the first positive interaction he would have had this expansion. Furthermore, every character in WoW except of selected few only have 1 mood and 1 personality. Illidan will never be the "good" guy, because in Blizzards universe, when you first have started to be rude and dickish, you can never have a relaxed and calm moment again.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    They need to give players some opportunities to decide via quests. Some quests that work like votes - you have two quests but can complete only one. The first you complete on the account works as a vote. The story would continue based on the choice the majority of players made. If someone picked the "wrong" one, they would be given an option to complete the "right" one before moving on.

There are some quests that simply don't fit my character's personality at all but have to do them because they're "meta". Actually, player characters have been treated like mercenary assassins for too long.

I love Highmountain, it's my favorite zone I think. But the meta storyline was so predictable (apart from Ebonhorn) it almost hurt my intelligence. My character is not so stupid to fall into every trap. Or rush into a battle that's clearly lost before it even begins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    We really need a Warcraft 3 style shakeup to the lore. Closest we've gotten was MoP with Garry destroying Theramoore and Orgrimmar coming under siege.

10+ Year Old Account
    What else do you want from a game? Were supposed to hate something to continue fighting something,or else there will be no something. If your hoping for everyone to be nicey nicey and the world be saved then my little pony online is over that way >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    We really need a Warcraft 3 style shakeup to the lore. Closest we've gotten was MoP with Garry destroying Theramoore and Orgrimmar coming under siege.
    I kinda agree. When Legion was announced I thought there's gonna be tons of territorial changes or capitals under siege etc.

Not sure how realistic that is considering WoW and it's fanbase but Legion invasion could've setup really cool stuff for the future like War3 did for WoW.
    Yea they killed off few characters but I don't know I am just not feeling the impact or that invasion is gonna influence the world at all.

Battle for Mount Hyjal literally changed whole political scene of Azeroth. Now it feels like bad guys are just standing in que waiting to be beaten up with no major consequences for us.

Deleted
    It's a cartoon swords and sorcery videogame that rips most if its tropes straight out of established works and waters them down to easily digestible teen fiction levels of storytelling. Warcraft has been predictable and cliché since Day 1. In fact, it revels in it, and I appreciate that.

That said; the most you can say is that the Void Lords were unexpected. But they're only a thing at all due to being an 11th hour asspull. In Legion Blizzard allowed us to effectively neutralise the major threat to the world that's existed in game since Warcraft: Orcs & Humans. Whoops? Better break out the Sealed Evil in a Can!

In a few expansions time Sargeras will break free of his prison and This Time It's Personal. I guarantee it. Embrace the cliché and predictability, you'll enjoy the game a lot more for what it is (what it isn't: literature)

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I think the monk campaign did something of that affect to Pandaria. This isolated empire that escaped the Burning Legion and had never seen most of what we've seen, now being directly invaded by the Legion with monks being thrust into the world stage is interesting, but after that they don't do much with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    I would not say that the death of Xe'ra was predictable, but that is mostly because she had little pressence at all in the story, so it was hard to predict what they would do with her, if anything at all.

I would not agree, that is becoming more predicable, but it is a bit cliche. Blizzard have for a long time now found it hard to create story, that is not full of cliches or just a boring in general. Everything is told in the fastests way possible, with as many characters as possible and with as little focus as possible. I think the procedure is proberly what makes you feel like things are so predictable, because when Blizzard starts a sub-story, it always have a clear purpose. The tale of Alleria started out with us knowing that she had done something to anger Xe'ra and Turalyon, which made it easy to see, that she was going to be a shadow to Turalyons light.

The same with Illidan. He has been an ass since we freed him in Nighthold, so it was nearly impossible for him to have a positive encounter with Xe'ra, because that would the first positive interaction he would have had this expansion. Furthermore, every character in WoW except of selected few only have 1 mood and 1 personality. Illidan will never be the "good" guy, because in Blizzards universe, when you first have started to be rude and dickish, you can never have a relaxed and calm moment again.
    Very perceptive. I think because it's a game that refuses to give the story the same priority as the art or music or system SMS, it will never have the depth or detail it needs to be good or great. Which is why many people feel the era games had a much better story. Wow goes for quick gimmicks for fast attention and instant popularity and the story doesn't follow the long game or attempt to deliver depth and nuance because the game isn't set up to bring it to you. Not when you can skip quests and miss 3/4 of the details because you don't pick up every book or talk toevery box. And ofc Mocs don't have much info I. This game. And you tend to have to read the story than watch or listen to it so most don't bother. And because they don't bother blizzard don't bother

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLove View Post
    Just looking at this expansion. I did not expect Illidan to come back.. again. I didn't expect to see Suramar ever. Didn't expect Varian to die to start the expac. Didn't expect we would go to Argus (before it was announced way too early) and so on. It's never really about winning or losing for me, how we get where we're going is more interesting and that hasn't been that predictable for me. Everything making sense is completely another question.
    This also a very good point. Illidan, Suramar and arcane Kaldorei empire elves, Argus and Titans are all completely unexpected. True. Good things too yet zooming in is still a disappointment, clicked and predictable tho more forgiveable as we understand wh. Many relatable details absent. Tyrants, Suramar and Illidan reunions. Night elf peoples reunion as they all came from Suramar. ToS with no Sisters of Elune or Elune playing a role in an iconic location.
    May least we got Turalyon, family reunion which I half expected would be missing. Still it is better than it was in previous expansions too by a long way. I guess that is also a win

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j0ust View Post
    It's a cartoon swords and sorcery videogame that rips most if its tropes straight out of established works and waters them down to easily digestible teen fiction levels of storytelling. Warcraft has been predictable and cliché since Day 1. In fact, it revels in it, and I appreciate that.

That said; the most you can say is that the Void Lords were unexpected. But they're only a thing at all due to being an 11th hour asspull. In Legion Blizzard allowed us to effectively neutralise the major threat to the world that's existed in game since Warcraft: Orcs & Humans. Whoops? Better break out the Sealed Evil in a Can!

In a few expansions time Sargeras will break free of his prison and This Time It's Personal. I guarantee it. Embrace the cliché and predictability, you'll enjoy the game a lot more for what it is (what it isn't: literature)
    Also a good point. I wonder if WC1&2 players ever expected the Burning Legion demons?

Deleted
    i'm just gonna read the latest diablo novel and that'll be the story of wow going foward. not even joking the current story has sin war written all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagoth Ur View Post
    I kinda agree. When Legion was announced I thought there's gonna be tons of territorial changes or capitals under siege etc.

Not sure how realistic that is considering WoW and it's fanbase but Legion invasion could've setup really cool stuff for the future like War3 did for WoW.
    Yea they killed off few characters but I don't know I am just not feeling the impact or that invasion is gonna influence the world at all.

Battle for Mount Hyjal literally changed whole political scene of Azeroth. Now it feels like bad guys are just standing in que waiting to be beaten up with no major consequences for us.
    And maybe this is what makes it feel plastic and cliched. Big stuff happening. No aftermath effects. Especially a lack of positive ones. How long did we wait to see any sign of the blood elves regaining the use of their well? Night elves are using magic but nothing about well of eternity or immortality? What the effects of such big changes are often shallow and short. Great for a cheesy video game. Of great for a story

When has it not been predictable and cliched?
    Predictable and cliched trope driven lore is what Blizz does.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

"getting"?

its been one giant trope-fest since day 1.

Alleria is the new Illidan, void flavor?