Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Old player looking to get back into it

So I quit WoW about a year ago, I am now looking to get back into things with a fresh account. I am pretty ignorant of pretty much any of the ilvl acceleration Blizzard has implemented now. How hard would it be to get to raid readiness with little to no guild assistance (assuming it would take me time to find a solid guild)? Are world quests/professions still the main way I would accomplish it? or Is there something I'm ignorant about?

PS: I will not address questions about my old account.

10+ Year Old Account
    World quests and dungeons would be the best way, once you hit 110.

Deleted
    The game is still very social oriented. From personal experience having to pug every raid/dungeon will only lead to frustrations. You are better off looking for a guild to play with or youll be dropping the game very quickly most likely. Worldqeusts Ilvl reward has been upped so youll be able to get around 900ish through that. Professions allow acces to gear up to 935 but its very expensive not something youd be able to pull off quickly with a new account I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nileria View Post
    The game is still very social oriented. From personal experience having to pug every raid/dungeon will only lead to frustrations. You are better off looking for a guild to play with or youll be dropping the game very quickly most likely. Worldqeusts Ilvl reward has been upped so youll be able to get around 900ish through that. Professions allow acces to gear up to 935 but its very expensive not something youd be able to pull off quickly with a new account I think.
    haha I've never been overly good at finding a guild. Thank you for the info though!

What about class wise guys? Whats doing well DPS wise?

Deleted
    Sold your old account huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesda View Post
    haha I've never been overly good at finding a guild. Thank you for the info though!

What about class wise guys? Whats doing well DPS wise?
    Play what you want. They're all good.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Getting gear is really easy thanks to the Argus world quests and Veiled Argunite vendor, all my gear is ilvl 900+ without raid drops, which is the same level as normal ToS. As for raiding itself, LFR is there if you only care about the story, normal isn't too hard, but if you're pugging it be prepared for elitist dicks asking for unreasonable achievements and/or item level.

When it comes to picking a class, don't get hung up on what ppl say is doing good DPS as it matters very little outside of cutting edge progression raiding. All specs are viable for normal and (mostly) heroic difficulty. Use the class trials and figure out what you enjoy playing.
    Last edited by CthulhuFhtagn; 2017-09-17 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...what raid content? LFR? Mythic? Do you have a lv 110 toon? How much time per day do you have..etc etc
    LFR isnt raiding... Its 5 guys trying to do a watered down version of a raid boss while 20 other people do w/e the fuck they want.

You clearly didnt read the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuFhtagn View Post
    When it comes to picking a class, don't get hung up on what ppl say is doing good DPS as it matters very little outside of cutting edge progression raiding. All specs are viable for normal and (mostly) heroic difficulty. Use the class trials and figure out what you enjoy playing.
    I'm not hung up on choosing a class; I'm just asking if anything is particularly standing out right now or clearly in high demand.

Don't do: Professions (time to reward ratio is not worth it unless you're absurdly, absurdly wealthy)

Do do: Invasions, Greater Rifts, World Bosses, LFR, Mythic Dungeons, Vindicaar's Argunite Ethereal vendor, with last and finally World Quests and Caches.

I geared about 8 characters during the time before Emerald Nightmare opened by spamming Mythic Dungeons. As a last resort, it's a pretty reliable stream of gear.
    Last edited by Razion; 2017-09-17 at 10:57 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I quit WoW about a year ago, I am now looking to get back into things with a fresh account. I am pretty ignorant of pretty much any of the ilvl acceleration Blizzard has implemented now. How hard would it be to get to raid readiness with little to no guild assistance (assuming it would take me time to find a solid guild)? Are world quests/professions still the main way I would accomplish it? or Is there something I'm ignorant about?

PS: I will not address questions about my old account.
    about 2-3 weeks at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    about 2-3 weeks at most.
    Not sure what question you are answering but it clearly is not mine.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    LFR isnt raiding... Its 5 guys trying to do a watered down version of a raid boss while 20 other people do w/e the fuck they want.

You clearly didnt read the original post.
    Your original post didn't mention what raiding you were doing. All it said was you were doing raid readiness WHILST finding a "solid" guild. LFR is one of those non-guild activities you CAN do for gear for raid readiness.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what question you are answering but it clearly is not mine.
    Meant to write "gearing takes about 2-3 weeks at most" for how "difficult" it would be to get raid-ready without assistance.

I would also advise to use level boost and skip leveling 1-100. Low level balance is complete trash and mobs keep dying in 1-2 hits, which makes very bland and boring experience.

As for gearing - keep doing world quests. Their rewards scale to your gear and get better as your gear gets better. Remember about titanforged items - even if reward doesn't seem so good it can get improved thanks to titanforged. Remember to do broken shore and argus world bosses every week for a chance for nice gear. Keep running dungeons, doing daily emissary chests and killing Argus rares for a chance at legendary. Start doing mythic+ asap for weekly class hall chest, but for that it's best to have a guild.
    Last edited by procne; 2017-09-17 at 11:15 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I would also advise to use level boost and skip leveling 1-100. Low level balance is complete trash and mobs keep dying in 1-2 hits, which makes very bland and boring experience.

As for gearing - keep doing world quests. Their rewards scale to your gear and get better as your gear gets better. Remember about titanforged items - even if reward doesn't seem so good it can get improved thanks to titanforged. Remember to do broken shore and argus world bosses every week for a chance for nice gear. Keep running dungeons, doing daily emissary chests and killing Argus rares for a chance at legendary. Start doing mythic+ asap for weekly class hall chest, but for that it's best to have a guild.
    Since I'm getting a fresh account I'll be getting at least one 100 boost with purchase of Legion and I'm thinking I'll either buy another boost or some tokens to get some gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Nileria View Post
    lol the game is still very social.. you aint lying to no one

@bonesda

Pretty much this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Do do: Invasions, Greater Rifts, World Bosses, LFR, Mythic Dungeons, Vindicaar's Argunite Ethereal vendor, with last and finally World Quests and Caches.
    Group as much as you can for every activity.

I don't know what you want to do after gearing up, but the legendary farm timeframe and the AP grind for a propper nether crucible path are still counted in lots of weeks or a few months.

I would recomend to adjust to some realistic goals before you start some endless catchups so late in this very unforgiving expansion.
    -

We are between tiers atm so it's a good time to come back to wow. Doing open world stuff on Argus earns you currency with which you can buy 910 gear, which is still decent gear now that the new raid isn't open yet and high enough to catch you up for when it does.

Deleted
    There were World Quests a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by iolar View Post
    There were World Quests a year ago?
    There were. I remember first level 110s started doing them the first week after launch
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted
    It's not really that hard to get raid ready now (assuming you don't expect to hop into 6/9 Mythic or so instantly).

Leveling is mainly a thing of doing dungeons, legion assaults on the broken isles and questing. It goes fast even without heirlooms.
    Gearing is a matter of doing Argus. I wouldn't even bother with LFR if you need to be efficient with your time: just aggressively run the Argus content: world quests, rares and treasures (for argunite to gamble into 910 tokens) and invasions. With a bit of luck those will get you to about 915-920 in 2 weeks (even 1 week if you're truly lucky with WF/TF).
    The upside of all of that is that the Argus content gives tons of AP as well.

At that level you can easily and comfortably get into Normal groups for your tier pieces (either with a guild or fake the achievements for pugs) and are actually geared enough to run Heroic in an organized group.

If there's one thing Argus did right, it's the catch-up of gear.

Since we're at the end of T20 and going into T21 in roughly 8 weeks, it's an excellent time to come back and look for a guild. You'll easily be 935 or so in 8 weeks time when Antorus hits (presumably).