Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds very black and white. Reality is rarely black and white.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    OP, your premise is flawed from the start. The correct thing is that in every evil, there is some good, and in every good, there is some evil. There are no absolutes in this world.
    Well, this world(earth) isn't where my book takes place, and the thing that I am referencing is completely evil, with no redeeming qualities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sounds like shit writing to me. The best protagonists aren't so childish or one dimensional.
    As I said, I was fleshing a character out, and this is a single facet of the character as a whole, one attribute.
    Last edited by Zethras; 2017-09-18 at 01:49 PM.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

There is no god vs evil in the universe. It's just a human emotion that is going to be filled with wathever you are conditioned to. Our code of conduct gives it meaning in one way or the other. But only for us. I'd go as far as to say for the universe taking a life and giving a life for example are meaningless. But Human beeings have a desire to give everything a meaning and kind of sense. That's why we follow self defined rules and conditions within a social structure / hierarchy.

If you accept love to hate or hate to love is totally up to your conditioning and paradigm.

edit: naturally I'm not advocating to take someones life. It's just meant hypothetical to be clear...
    Last edited by Raakel; 2017-09-18 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    2nd one....to quote a small dude, Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.

Hate makes you blind, it makes you focus on the bad things. Instead of the good things. You can hate a rapist all you want...but caring for the victim should be priority nr 1. So if you are feeling only hate...then yeah you are on the wrong path....But as a sentece/figure of speech...its a great one.
    Yes, well...

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
    Through Passion I gain Strength.
    Through Strength I gain Power.
    Through Power I gain Victory.
    Through Victory my chains are Broken.
    The Force shall free me.

As someone who believes that the Jedi are the evil and "bad" ones in this universe, though believing in absolutes is logical, it isn't always correct. 2+2 isn't always 4, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless it's something that will change with time it still feels infantile. You seem to be thinking about making it one of the core attributes of the character.
    Because it is. This particular character has some very sith-like attributes, as @ItachiZaku referenced. Hatred towards the evil that I am referencing gives them the power(literally) to fight against it, better than anyone else.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please find good and evil on this picture:
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    That sounds very black and white. Reality is rarely black and white.
    Unfortunately it seems to be these days in the 140 char limit world of impulse thoughts. Discussion is dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, very childish approach. Good luck with the story though.
    Genuinely curious as to why you have this viewpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    If you zoom in really close to the border between the Alpha and Beta quadrants, you'll see Gul Dukat somewhere on Cardassia prime. There's your evil.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Yes, well...

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
    Through Passion I gain Strength.
    Through Strength I gain Power.
    Through Power I gain Victory.
    Through Victory my chains are Broken.
    The Force shall free me.

As someone who believes that the Jedi are the evil and "bad" ones in this universe, though believing in absolutes is logical, it isn't always correct. 2+2 isn't always 4, for example.
    ....sigh....man do people even read stuff. Or do they just see trigger words and go crazy......

I SAID: it all depends on the situation sometimes it will work something it will not...aka sometimes its 4....and sometimes it is not 4.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Found the evil one.......the guy who posted it!!! he used to work for the obsidian order....he was a spy and killed people...and likes to play games with that guy from dorn...who also raz a gul....or was he that guy from the time travel show with dino's....nope it was the turk from the da vinci serie's. :P

- - - Updated - - -

[

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    So I was writing the other day, and an interesting thought came to mind as I was fleshing out a character, but i'm not completely sure it's "correct", so I bring it to you lovely people.

It is this:"To hate that which is evil, is to embody all that is good."

So to take the poetic nature from the statement; do you, the reader, believe that hating something evil, is in and of itself a positive, or do you believe that hatred towards anything, regardless of good or bad, is inherently a negative?

Please explain why you think one way or another.
    It's a pretty flawed thought process in reality. But if ur writing a story I think it can be a good concept for a character, sort of like w/ arthas, his hatred turned him into an even greater evil than he was fighting.

Or w/ groups like antifa, their hatred for evil only succeeds in spreading evil and blinding them into evil acts.

10+ Year Old Account
    When someone's power is derived from them being angry because someone was mean to them it feels like they're just throwing one long temper tantrum.
    Anger =/= Hatred.

Also, because you're using terms like "because someone was mean to them" as an attempt to downplay the situation(which, granted you have no knowledge of), I can only assume you're being a dick on purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, it's nice you think so though. And it's even more hilarious that you don't see how childish it is so say, "But he's more than just angry, he's super duper angry so that males him stronger." It is literally the thinking of a toddler.
    Again, you're ignoring the fact that anger does not equal hatred.

Since you're here to do nothing but stir the pot, I will not be responding to your posts anymore, if you make any.
    Last edited by Zethras; 2017-09-19 at 07:32 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    How can you be good if there's hate in you?
    Evil is twisted good imo.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

I don't think hatred towards evil makes you evil. but it doesn't automatically make you good either. what makes you good is BEING good, performing actions that are good.

So I was writing the other day, and an interesting thought came to mind as I was fleshing out a character, but i'm not completely sure it's "correct", so I bring it to you lovely people.

So to take the poetic nature from the statement; do you, the reader, believe that hating something evil, is in and of itself a positive, or do you believe that hatred towards anything, regardless of good or bad, is inherently a negative?

Hate is basically evil. You aren't supposed to hate your enemy, you will become them.

I am Legend, the book, hits on this very well. Robert Neville was consumed by hatred for the others, to the point that he was the monster. It wasn't just a literal representation, but figurative, which he had to come to grasp with when he encountered the woman in the story.

I think that hatred by definition is an evil state of mind, and therefore whom it is targeted towards matters little. What is the difference between good and evil if they are both plagued by hatred, just towards different things? At that point, evil just becomes disagreeing with the majority which is more of an authoritarian morality than anynthing else.

It would be nice if it worked that way...in reality though I think it's far more common to find ourselves in "the lesser of two evils" and/or "the devil you know" situations

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    That is a gray subject that changes from person to person.
    So, my question to you is this. In Marvel comics do you personally think The Punisher is good, evil, or somewhere in between? You'll find your answer there.

- - - Updated - - -

Going to have to stop you right there. I hate wife beaters, child rapists, cold blood serial killers, etc. There is an incredibly low chance that I'll be any of those let alone all of those down the line in the future. You drank the 90's cool aid with those ideals.
    You don't literally become a sleeveless t shirt dude, don't be dense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I think that hatred by definition is an evil state of mind, and therefore whom it is targeted towards matters little. What is the difference between good and evil if they are both plagued by hatred, just towards different things? At that point, evil just becomes disagreeing with the majority which is more of an authoritarian morality than anynthing else.
    Then let me make a more well known comparison.

Do you believe Illidan and the Illidari are evil?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sad to have seen my thread sink so far down.

Time for a quick kick I think.

Then let me make a more well known comparison.

Do you believe Illidan and the Illidari are evil?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sad to have seen my thread sink so far down.

Time for a quick kick I think.
    I believe Illidan is evil yes. His intentions may be noble, but he did sacrifice and enslave innocent people and allies alike for his cause and that is hardly different from Sargeras himself, although on a smaller power scale.