Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I've been leveling my alts this way for a couple years now. I agree that it's much more fun than using LFD, and I try and talk friends/new players into tagging along with me whenever possible because I do feel it's a much better leveling experience than facerolling junk. There are a couple weird scaling issues at certain levels and whatnot, but overall, it's a breath of fresh air-- especially if you go with a non-standard duo like a hunter pet tank or whatnot. I also find I learn a ton about the class I'm playing while doing this, which is great prep for endgame.

I agree that it's a shame that more folks don't choose to do this/that this isn't the default way to experience dungeons. Some players are turned off by the fact that you have to actually go to the dungeons themselves, I know. Others, of course, just want to whip through leveling ASAP. I sometimes feel like I'm really old school when I go on about how much fun I have doing stuff like this, haha.

I also agree that we'll be seeing scaling tech for all dungeons/raids soon. Timewalking seems to be popular enough for sure. It'll be interesting to see if Blizzard just keeps with the 'limited time" trend for scaling tech or if they go with something like FFXIV where you can always get benefits from running older dungeons w/the scaling feature enabled.
    Setah - Guardian Druid | Kade - Brewmaster Monk | Aklan - Prot Pally
    Raid leader of Big Bada Boom, a casually-minded-yet-progressively-awesome 2-night team.
    Also bare tanks as Setah on Mankrik, hordeside, on Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Setah View Post
    I've been leveling my alts this way for a couple years now. I agree that it's much more fun than using LFD, and I try and talk friends/new players into tagging along with me whenever possible because I do feel it's a much better leveling experience than facerolling junk. There are a couple weird scaling issues at certain levels and whatnot, but overall, it's a breath of fresh air-- especially if you go with a non-standard duo like a hunter pet tank or whatnot. I also find I learn a ton about the class I'm playing while doing this, which is great prep for endgame.

I agree that it's a shame that more folks don't choose to do this/that this isn't the default way to experience dungeons. Some players are turned off by the fact that you have to actually go to the dungeons themselves, I know. Others, of course, just want to whip through leveling ASAP. I sometimes feel like I'm really old school when I go on about how much fun I have doing stuff like this, haha.

I also agree that we'll be seeing scaling tech for all dungeons/raids soon. Timewalking seems to be popular enough for sure. It'll be interesting to see if Blizzard just keeps with the 'limited time" trend for scaling tech or if they go with something like FFXIV where you can always get benefits from running older dungeons w/the scaling feature enabled.
    At least we have that option, trivializing everything until you are max level seems the way to go for most MMOs and I don't get it. Why don't people want to have fun all the way up? I mean, that would be like if a game like Skyrim is only fun at max level and everything before that is boring.

Here's hoping for a Mythic+ leveling option and some scaling tech coming in.
    I've actually enjoyed Leveling over time, but as others have seen it has become far too repetitive to be fun at this point.

Give it a facelift, make it competitive, and the problem is solved!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Questing in quest gear is nice. It has improved or refreshed the leveling experience for me. It won't fix the feeling of having done a zone a hundred times completely, but it can make it bearable again. Heirlooms, if they were ever enjoyable before, aren't anymore. I've noticed that doing a dungeon is fun in relative quest gear. Repeats in quest gear are also fun. But I've also noticed that dungeon gear and dungeon quest XP can snowball this negative-feeling of power-advancement. You trivialize faster than you can keep gear that would make the content as proportionate as it "should feel" with quest greens.

Maybe if running leveling dungeons or questing scaled you up or down to the appropriate level and relative power of wearing full quest-greens, the experience would be better? Are heirlooms, dungeon gear, and dungeon quest XP just too strong? Have we lost the feeling of properly paced progression in leveling with over-tuned heirlooms, over-tuned dungeon gear, and abundant dungeon quest XP?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'm all for 3 man dungeons without roles. Quicker queues for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    All they need to do is remove heirlooms, RaF, LFG, reduce experience gain and increase difficulty.

Which they will never do.

And leveling would be interesting again.
    Yeah, that will make leveling take longer but hardly make it more fun.

1-60 leveling content is outdated and needs an overhaul, employing systems added in recent years. I'd prefer to see them add scaling tech, allowing us to entirely skip Outland and Northrend at the very least on the way to max level. Make 1-60 1-Max Level.

What we need to remember however, is this:

New players coming into the content, are not jaded. They've never seen the zones, questlines and journey before in this game. Obviously they can spot the 2004 textures and shit, but here's hoping Blizzard will address those as well...

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love WoW's leveling the Cata revamps were great, but even without Heirlooms or XP buffs, it is still super fast to the point where you have to cut off Storylines if you want to level efficiently.

If they made EK/Kalimdor/Outland/Northrend/Pandaria all level scaled, I would love it. Just so I could do entire zones, like every quest in a Zone without it becoming useless EXP wise.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    The issue with leveling is that people have been doing it for so many years, they just want to rush to the end game to see the *new* content. Good points though.
    And that's the problem mind you.

Leveling's been dumbed down and people wanna rush through It, but a leveling experience Is half of the game. The endgame Is just... the -end- game, In theory you can make alt after alt until you feel you have enough and have experienced each of the zones, races and classes. It was quite fun In Vanilla TBc and wrath to level up, somewhat repetative after a while but what can you do, everything gets repetative after a while but It's sure a better experience than now... where any random sod can have Heirlooms and blitzkrieg through leveling dungeons (And dungeons are -not- the leveling experience, we have zones, remember? And most people Ignore those cause they're slower, less rewarding and Blizz doesn't encourage that).
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

This again.

Apart from questing on a new expansion i wish there was a way to skip it all together for all my other characters after the first time.

Leveling has never been fun, ever, its just a massive almost pointless chore trying to tell the story of areas.

They have massively improved on that but also made areas feel completely disconnected with the main story, or unfinished stories which makes it more annoying.

Leave it as it is.

Only one area had made me say "This doesnt feel fucking annoying and boring!" in the last 12 years in WoW and that was Uldum for whatever reason while others hate it, i guess the wannabee Indiana Jones thing got to me.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-09-19 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    You didn't see the context and didn't get the point I was making in the parts you quoted. The fun part is that you play with the mechanics to not die. Like they are supposed to work. Run out of the bad stuff, interrupt etc. That's how it is supposed to work. If you are alone or with 5 doesn't matter. I had to heal myself (being the healer), I had to tank (being the tank) and I had to Dmg the boss (being the DD) and all 3 parts were crucial for the combat. If I didn't heal I would have died, if I didn't dodge mechanic X I would have died etc. That's how it's supposed to be. The quantity of people is irrelevant as long as I fulfill those 3 roles. That's the point, that's how it's supposed to be in a game with Trinity.

Go and play Guild Wars 2....

On the subject of Removing exp gain, or slowing the leveling process in general.... of course they won't do it. They can't. If they do, a much larger crowd will come out of the woodwork to protest that evil, greedy Blizzard is just doing it to increase sales for boosts. Can't get rid of boosts, then new players have an insane and daunting barrier to overcome, especially if you make the leveling process longer or harder. They can't win here. Itd be all the people who bitch about everything in the store, services, etc...

OT: I do love the classic instances, BFD, BRD, Strath, Scholo, Scarlet Halls, Scarlet Mon, RFC, SFK, etc... loved Old Sunken Temple, Old Strath, Old Sholo, Old Halls... Don't get me wrong, love the new ones, but I liked the old ones too.

As far as leveling zones: to be honest, the leveling Zones I haven't hated are pretty few are far between.... Old STV. Old WPL/EPL. Scholozar, Grizzly, Storm Peaks, Uldum, Nether storm, (TBC) Shadow moon Valley, Vashj'ir (I know a lot of people hated it, and its a very polarizing zone, but I fucking loved it. Favorite zone ever, in any rpg, or mmo I've ever played. Good story, amaZing visuals, etc...) and that's about it.

I personally usually level with RAF(if I can), heirlooms, darkmoon buff, etc... if I can help it. I hate leveling. It's too long (for me to enjoy) with all of the dank abilities locked to the higher levels. I also usually only dungeon spam, I hate leveling alone so I just boost super fast with a battlenet friend who also want to quickly level a character. Maybe if CDs were given earlier? Idk... anyway. I would love to do those instances, scaled higher where they are a challenge and don't take less than 5 seconds. Hopefully we get time walking classic soon. But that's a discussion for another time.
    Last edited by Lethim; 2017-09-19 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    All they need to do is remove heirlooms, RaF, LFG, reduce experience gain and increase difficulty.

Which they will never do.

And leveling would be interesting again.
    Please explain to me how it's fun to level slow as fuck and always have to run to every instance while trying to convince one of the 4 fucking lazy potatoes in your party to come help you summon and arguing with them cuz none of them should even be allowed in the game in the first place?

I fucking hated doing dungeons before LFG, it was serious shit. If I want to do a dungeon, I want to DO a dungeon, not look for people and run across the world to get there, replace shitters who asked to join but then leave as if that was even acceptable.

Nothing made me hate the WoW community more than doing dungeons while leveling in vanilla.

Oh and the punchline is that after taking so long to get the run going, you realize that they are all blind and playing on a laptop touchpad.

Deleted
    Hmm I wouldn't say soloing or duo dungeon content would be the best way to promote "fun leveling" as it does pose some unjustified frustration as a new player. I've always felt that DBM should been have been baked into the game because prior to the adventure guide, we pretty much relied on DBM to assist us or we'd would get wiped. The game suffers from a lot of unintuitive mechanics and while the newer content has eased up on some of these things, vanilla sure wasn't forgiving. Challenging is one thing but at least make some better visual clues like they do in FFIV or something so we're less dependent on external addons, jeez
    Speaking of which, if you wanted to improve my leveling experience then why not use the "Rift" scaling system where you can adjust your character to whoever you want to do quest/dungeons with. Legion leveling finally got some of it right - but instead of scaling an entire continent, Rift merely scaled the character. Its an old design and I don't know why Blizzard never wanted it? I hate when you start leveling together with a friend but occasionally you're ahead due to real life time schedule differences - that wouldn't be such an issue if you could still queue up together etc. I originally hoped that the Timewalking design would be an permanent thing but yea didn't happen.

My only complaint with dungeon leveling is lack of variety, particularly once you get to 60+ otherwise, something needs to be done about questing. Dunno what, but something needs to be done - newcomers don't generally boost their characters or dungeon grind their way to lvl cap.

All they have to do is carry the scaling tech from Legion back to the rest of the game. I'd be a hell of a lot more inclined to level alts if I didn't have to follow the same tired shit of suffering through certain horrible zones/expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    The issue with leveling is that people have been doing it for so many years, they just want to rush to the end game to see the *new* content. Good points though.
    This, i just know ALL quest chains from vanilla to legion. As i have tryed them all ( almost) with every toon i lvld. And yes I also tryed doing different zone combinations. I KNOW THEM ALL

So there is nothing new with quest levelling for me. I want the fastest now and thats it

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think since WoW is a game with a lot of min-max meta play going on people would love the idea of 2-3 man dungeons while leveling, the only thing that's missing is upping the rewards in some meaning full way for that extra pwnery. I know the leveling experience can just breeze by, like out leveling a zone after 5 quests and a dungeon, but like someone mention a lot of players, myself included, are looking to get to that fresh content. So increasing experience and gear for a scenario dungeon would be a nice middle ground, those without heirlooms looking for a challenge got it, those looking to flex their alt muscles got it too.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    My only complaint with dungeon leveling is lack of variety, particularly once you get to 60+ otherwise, something needs to be done about questing. Dunno what, but something needs to be done - newcomers don't generally boost their characters or dungeon grind their way to lvl cap.
    This is a good one. If they said: Look buddy i know you have been questing since vanilla/tbc. If you do ALL dungeons in order, with quests and all, you will reach 100.

That would be awesome, its really boring to repeat a dung 5-6 times while leveling

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently tried leveling from scratch with no heirlooms. My observations:

- It was still fun and the pacing was fine from 1-70. There were enough content options that I mostly didn't get bored.
    - BC content started to drag towards the end but was mostly OK.
    - LK content really starts to draaaaaag
    - MoP content was bordering on intolerable, and I had to equip heirlooms to decrease personal suffering
    - Draenor was completely intolerable, and I had to plug my nose, buy a 300% XP potion, and hammer out bonus quests to go 92-100 as quickly as possible.
    - Legion content still feels fine to level through, probably because of the dynamic scaling across zones. I abandoned my heirlooms once again at level 100.

I think what I'd really like is for all pre-Legion content -- including dungeons -- to support dynamic scaling. There is soooo much good content in the game that is relegated to a narrow level range, and some level ranges (unsurprisingly individual xpac ranges) are severely limited terms of what content can be used for leveling through them.

The good news is that we're getting a good bit of this in 8.0.