Garrosh - What a fucking disappointment

So Garrosh was free to play recently so I finally got to try him out a lot. Gotta say, what a fucking disappointment. Not seeing where the fun is with this character. If you can pull people back with the ground slam thing and heave them it's neat, but it just seems super hard to pull off. Diablo seems much more efficient with charge + overpower in this regard.

His Bloodthirst heal attack is horrible survivability. I get his armor trait is cool if you have a healer who isn't garbage, but for general play it seems pointless.

Then his 2 ults are just... boring.

Am I missing something?

I expected him to play a lot more like a fury warrior in WoW, maybe with some Old God shadow flavor. I just don't see why I should play him when I can play Diablo for enemy throwing or Varian who's just better all around at survivability.

Please enlighten me.

I don't think there's any enlightenment to be done. You don't enjoy his kit, other people will, that's why we have a variety of heroes. I feel the same as you do about Raynor, he just sounds so dull to me.

Garrosh, if played well, can peel very well and ensure kills or prevent teammembers from being killed by either throwing their attacker away or stunning the attacker by throwing mobs on top of him/her.

I agree that other warriors accomplish a similar thing with less effort, but not with the range of garrosh.

The title of this post is exactly what a lot of us said when he was announced, they just took a specific set of abilities designed to create silly moments in videos and pasted them in a popular character.
    Garrosh in HotS is not Garrosh, the should just accept that and create a new Hero with Garrosh's abilities and redesign Garrosh.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    So Garrosh was free to play recently so I finally got to try him out a lot. Gotta say, what a fucking disappointment. Not seeing where the fun is with this character. If you can pull people back with the ground slam thing and heave them it's neat, but it just seems super hard to pull off. Diablo seems much more efficient with charge + overpower in this regard.

His Bloodthirst heal attack is horrible survivability. I get his armor trait is cool if you have a healer who isn't garbage, but for general play it seems pointless.

Then his 2 ults are just... boring.

Am I missing something?

I expected him to play a lot more like a fury warrior in WoW, maybe with some Old God shadow flavor. I just don't see why I should play him when I can play Diablo for enemy throwing or Varian who's just better all around at survivability.

Please enlighten me.
    I agree bloodthirst is pretty bad - it's pretty much only good early game to sustain yourself in lane, but other than that he's just a really strong Solo Tank - actually one of the best ones. His displacements are crazy... he can throw enemies AND allies in specific spots. He has an AoE damage ult that slows and reduces dmg by 20%.

Garrosh's combo has a much greater and safer range than Diablo's, and you can place them in a targetted spot and the range is further. So that's the difference there.

I don't know why you think he would've played like a fury warrior. He is a disruptive tank through and through.
    Last edited by getupkid55; 2017-09-20 at 04:47 PM.

Deleted
    Actually, Garrosh is pretty damn strong right now. He is hard-countered by any kind of percentage damage, but that aside his survivability is pretty strong.
    His displacement abilities are what makes him strong even on the highest skill levels. Many people just fail to properly place and move themselves in combat.

I am not sure if you can really compare him to Diablo though. Garrosh has a harder time to successfully pull off his "combo" but Diablo actually has to dive in (and needs Level 16) for the full combo to work in a similar fashion.

In terms of look and feel, yes many people expected some old god stuff involved, but since most of the time, Garrosh fought by himself, imo this is more fitting (and leaves separate old god stuff for the future).

Long story short: git gud - just like Stitches he can he devastating when you successfully remove an enemy from the field before the fight even started.

EDIT: also what above person wrote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    I don't think there's any enlightenment to be done. You don't enjoy his kit, other people will, that's why we have a variety of heroes. I feel the same as you do about Raynor, he just sounds so dull to me.
    There's a lot of truth to this.

This is however why HotS will always have a disadvantage vs other MOBAS.

People have expectations for their favorite heroes that get ported, transformed, and maladjusted to fit HotS. It is impossible for Blizzard to meet all those expectations.

Whereas if they were creating new IP from scratch, it is far easier to have this attitude toward new Heroes... some you like, some you don't.

I think he is fine outside of his ultimates feeling pretty boring.

They should give him a Y'shaarj ultimate to add some flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post

People have expectations for their favorite heroes that get ported, transformed, and maladjusted to fit HotS. It is impossible for Blizzard to meet all those expectations.

Whereas if they were creating new IP from scratch, it is far easier to have this attitude toward new Heroes... some you like, some you don't.
    This is a very interesting point I hadn't considered about HotS and explains some of my own conflicted feelings about the game. Nice insight.

My experience with Garrosh:

Amazing in full team comp. Also great in a Garrosh+healer group, but so are other warriors.

Terrible as a solo player.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvator View Post

Long story short: git gud - just like Stitches he can he devastating when you successfully remove an enemy from the field before the fight even started.
    I definitely just might be horrible at him. I accept that. I just find his throwing to be SOOOO much harder than other tank abilties that accomplish similar things and wonder if Garrosh's versions are THAT much better they make up for that difficulty curve.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    That might be true, but generally I can at least see why another player might like a character. Having a hard time with this one. Would be good if theres someone here who has fun with Garry to comment here and bring up some of their favorite moments while playing the character. Maybe I can wrap my head around it or even try to play him differently and give him another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post

Amazing in full team comp. Also great in a Garrosh+healer group, but so are other warriors.

Agreed. Playing in quickmatch relying on bloodthirst heal sucks

I definitely just might be horrible at him. I accept that. I just find his throwing to be SOOOO much harder than other tank abilties that accomplish similar things and wonder if Garrosh's versions are THAT much better they make up for that difficulty curve.

That might be true, but generally I can at least see why another player might like a character. Having a hard time with this one. Would be good if theres someone here who has fun with Garry to comment here and bring up some of their favorite moments while playing the character. Maybe I can wrap my head around it or even try to play him differently and give him another shot.
    For some people, myself included, the challenge of the hero is what makes a hero fun

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post

Thats a good point. I do want to give credit to Blizzard though that generally speaking, they HAVE done a decent job fitting most of my expectations for each character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post

This might be the problem for me. No one I know plays hots so I play that game solo queue only. Just from the armor mechanic where he gets tougher as he loses HP, I figured with a healer that can be pretty strong. That's doesn't really help me though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valdaram View Post

For some people, myself included, the challenge of the hero is what makes a hero fun
    For me too as well actually. There's just a point where something is so difficult that it feels broken when compared to other hero kits. You might be right though, he might just be a hero for high end skill players and something I shouldn't touch at all.

This might be the problem for me. No one I know plays hots so I play that game solo queue only. Just from the armor mechanic where he gets tougher as he loses HP, I figured with a healer that can be pretty strong. That's doesn't really help me though.
    The problem is, Garrosh relies on his team to help him out. You need damage dealers that will follow up on your throw, and a healer that compliments your playstyle.

In solo play, especially in quickmatch, you will rarely be able to get both from your team. So you'll be in situations where your benefits on low health will be useless, or you wont get the kill when you throw people behind you. And that's where it stops being fun and it just gets annoying after a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like him as a hero, but disappointed by his ultimates. I sooo wanted him to have an Iron Star ability.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

I find myself constantly forgetting that he's a warrior, not an assassin lol.

His throw ability is fucking fantastic though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Garrosh is a badly designed hero. He relies on a shitty gimmick that is fun to use and stuff, but is really problematic. Somehow Blizzard managed to copypaste DotA's Tiny toss into HotS and completely fuck it up. How they took an ability that worked perfectly fine and soundly in DotA and ruined it is beyond me, but whatever.

He's not a bad hero, mind you. Just a badly designed one. His talents are messy, toss targeting is awful and feels clunky even after the 'fix', he's weak in lane if you're not fighting the enemy, he's a shitty gank hero if you're unable to get ahold of enemies, he's marginally better in teamfights. He's a good hero and in the upper tiers, but his kit feels like shit. I still enjoy playing him, though.

Deleted
    Where's the fun?! You assume that throwing enemy Sonya into your squishies or throwing your support into enemy team is not fun?

Whenever I see Garrosh banned I feel a relief. And Kel'Thuzad. My Kel'Thuzads are usually awful - feeding and doing 0 damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Garrosh is a hero i ban when i decide to go for a ranged assassin that is heavily dependent on their position, garrosh paired with a strong melee assassin is a good way to destroy the other team.

I find he fits in the current game well. He does not need to be another artanis, leoric or sonya, we already have those bruiser types.

I'm finding his best use is to chase away pokers. They shit themselves when they see Garrosh trying to get into throw range of them, even when you have no plan to follow it through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.