Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

I'm constantly getting reported for telling people to stop with their shit.

And so, today I got a mute for 12 hours.

Unfortunately, this system is a double-edged sword, where, for most it does the job...because it's usually a case of someone being toxic.

But say you tell people they're wrong, they get offended and they report you and this happens a lot. Not saying I'm an angel: I'm a firm believer that if an asshole is toxic, you tell them to fuck off. But in my case, these are rare, so, really, how many people need to report you?

How do I appeal this?

Answer is: I can't.

Blizzard should try to be more open on what the solution is here for people who got the ban unfairly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The obvious solution is to just report people instead of telling them to "stop their shit".

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    I'm a firm believer that if an asshole is toxic, you tell them to fuck off.

Well there's your problem.
    I mean, no, we shouldn't allow cunts to have it their way, but in reality, it's just one every week or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    The obvious solution is to just report people instead of telling them to "stop their shit".
    Report for disagreeing with me? You mean exactly what they do to me? Na.

There are more toxic players than non toxic ones. Best you can do is to turn off chat and stop talking.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you want to put them in their place, do so without doing something that would be deemed worthy of being reported and it actually having an affect. Mainly, don't swear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cocacolawheresthesoda View Post
    I mean, no, we shouldn't allow cunts to have it their way, but in reality, it's just one every week or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Being toxic isn't disagreeing with you. Either you don't understand what toxic means, or you got what was coming to you.

Same difference, as the solution is still exactly what I just told you. Report them and keep your mouth shut, or get mutes.

Nothing much else you can do.

So your solution to toxic players is also being toxic, brilliant.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    So your solution to toxic players is also being toxic, brilliant.
    Do you also blame the justice system which does very much the same and it works?

People who believe in rehabilitation waste time.

You shut their ways of being toxic instantly, never allow them to have it their way.

All in all, I was quiet in this and barely talk, but people reported me straight-up for disagreeing with them and given I raid a lot, I have a lot of "conflicts"?

You know a better solution would be not to talk to them. There's a reason I have all chat channels off.

Quote Originally Posted by Taukra Goundin View Post
    You know a better solution would be not to talk to them. There's a reason I have all chat channels off.
    Same, but during raid-time and trade, where I need to be active, I can't help it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada, Northern Ontario (the French part)
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    There are more toxic players than non toxic ones. Best you can do is to turn off chat and stop talking.
    I disagree, I think there are fewer players that are toxic than not. The issue is that the toxic ones are the ones who are overrepresented because they are the ones dominating chat and, well... being toxic. The non-toxic people are just a silent majority. For me personally and for many of the players who try not to be toxic I'm sure it's just a question of wanting to play the game, move on and not having the time or patience to deal with some idiot. We just ignore it and carry on so it looks like we were never there.

I mean, we're basically already putting your suggestion in practice. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    You remind me of that poster here who thinks fascism is okay on fascists lol

Being toxic doesn't stop toxicity.
    People don't change their views even if it means losing.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...f-it-costs-us/

Ain't here to preach you how life works, but if you want someone to be of the same opinion as you, he must deem you as superior, even if for a fraction of a second, otherwise, he won't think in the same way.

This is both good and bad.

Nazis used force to do bad things.

The US used force to (whatever you say about it) atleast clear the Middle East of radicals and other bad actors.

As such, if I detect anything "edgy" from you, in my raids, you're insta-kicked. Does this work? Well I've been almost one-shotting ToS HC as pugs ever since week 2 and by the reaction to a "no" from me, they ninja-pull, whisper me super toxic stuff.

A non-toxic person would just be like "meh, okay".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xxcloud417xx View Post
    I disagree, I think there are fewer players that are toxic than not. The issue is that the toxic ones are the ones who are overrepresented because they are the ones dominating chat and, well... being toxic. The non-toxic people are just a silent majority. For me personally and for many of the players who try not to be toxic I'm sure it's just a question of wanting to play the game, move on and not having the time or patience to deal with some idiot. We just ignore it and carry on so it looks like we were never there.
    I disagree. I pug a lot and I meet plenty nice people, toxics are rare, but we're animals, anyone that disagrees with us is a threat, no matter the level of education, so if a guy challenges your set in stone beliefs, you trash him. Simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really, reaction towards toxic people is basically a baiting behavior and can at many times cost you a warning too. Better for you to report and ignore. Then again, you could also have a different view on the matter, as telling people they are wrong can be considered a challenge and some doesn't like that.

Sadly, the chat report system is like the name report system and runs automated from others, and once X amount of reports hit in, the system takes automated actions. This CAN be appealed if a longer punishment, I think. 12 hrs isn't much to appeal for when an appeal also can take 12 hrs.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    As well, I may ad that this isn't a Blizzard support forum, so raising the case here doesn't go further than being understood as a rant.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    And so, today I got a mute for 12 hours.

Unfortunately, this system is a double-edged sword, where, for most it does the job...because it's usually a case of someone being toxic.

But say you tell people they're wrong, they get offended and they report you and this happens a lot. Not saying I'm an angel: I'm a firm believer that if an asshole is toxic, you tell them to fuck off. But in my case, these are rare, so, really, how many people need to report you?

How do I appeal this?

Answer is: I can't.

Blizzard should try to be more open on what the solution is here for people who got the ban unfairly.
    Guess you are really stupid. If you want to tell people to behave, you need to use language that does not include, for example, "fuck off" - see, thats a reportable word right there. And its not "off".

There are ways to respond to people being ridiculous that won't get you banned. Clean up your act, or you're just contributing to the toxicity.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree. I pug a lot and I meet plenty nice people, toxics are rare, but we're animals, anyone that disagrees with us is a threat, no matter the level of education, so if a guy challenges your set in stone beliefs, you trash him. Simple.
    Idk if I would trash a person for it. It depends on the situation but I maintain that I would usually ignore it and move on if the person is being "toxic" about it. If it's a reasonable enough person and you can discuss the matter, kinda like here; you're actually bring up a point and we're talking not flinging stupidity and insults.

Toxicity is just this unreasonable level though. Like if a person is being truly toxic, you can't reason. It's impossible, so I just don't bother. You also did say yourself toxic people are rarer. I PuG too and even in LFR you have a raid group and 1-2 people being assholes and stroking a spectacular superiority complex. It's those 1-2 dominating chat, and the majority just ignore them or vote to kick without the need to say anything back and instigate them more.

I quit gaming on my PC and more specifically, online gaming in general due to the toxicity of the communities therein.

Just needed a break. Having to block half the people you meet if not more sort of defeats the whole purpose of community and furthermore soured me on the whole lot. It does, over time, unfortunately begin to wear down your defenses so even if you exercise restraint, act pleasant, you could still end up just a sour old grape screaming at kids to get off of your metaphorical lawn.

When I realized I was rarely making things better at a certain point and wasn't enjoying the game as a whole as a result, that's when I made the call.

Upon my eventual return which may very well be sooner rather than later, my entire stratagem for dealing with the community and my own emotional responses is going to get changed drastically and codified.

My advice in this instance? Ignore them. If you can't ignore them, have fun with them. Don't ever, however, give them the satisfaction of seeing you upset or annoyed. At that point, they've essentially won and it's one more hit to your overall pleasure factor. It can also directly affect you as you've seen via the Blizzard punishment system.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2017-09-20 at 06:44 PM.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I quit gaming on my PC and more specifically, online gaming in general due to the toxicity of the communities therein.

Just needed a break. Having to block half the people you meet if not more sort of defeats the whole purpose of community and furthermore soured me on the whole lot. It does, over time, unfortunately begin to wear down your defenses so even if you exercise restraint, act pleasant, you could still end up just a sour old grape screaming at kids to get off of your metaphorical lawn.

When I realized I was rarely making things better at a certain point and wasn't enjoying the game as a whole as a result, that's when I made the call.

Upon my eventual return which may very well be sooner rather than later, my entire stratagem for dealing with the community and my own emotional responses is going to get changed drastically and codified.
    I have to admit that it is a lot harder nowadays to get that sense of "community" that you used to get before while playing online. Too much insta-queuing, quick match, etc etc now. I remember when you had to play the damn games, talk to people, build groups, and at the end you often made a friend or two. Now everyone just wants fast easy-mode, and if you're even a second off their "timer" well you're shit and should go kill yourself, quit the game, uninstall, etc...

I miss the days of Dial-up Diablo 2 lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it's your language. I see you like to speak in "colorful metaphors".