Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    So even if the man was being violent it was with a stick/pipe?

Jesus Christ.

I have had to work mental disabled people with being violent with rods in the hand, my ass would be in jail if I decided to shoot them instead of potentially taking a hit. And thats with people who clearly don't give a fuck in that moment if they hurt you or if you hurt them.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    This is the reason we really need body cams on all cops. This one's going to be trouble for those cops.
    Right? I was just thinking that. They literally ALL come equipped with a gun, to kill someone with. But not a camera?

Shit isn't making sense anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post

Jesus Christ.

I have had to work mental disabled people with being violent with rods in the hand, my ass would be in jail if I decided to shoot them instead of potentially taking a hit. And thats with people who clearly don't give a fuck in that moment if they hurt you or if you hurt them.
    "He come at me with a stick, your Honor!"
    "A stick?"
    "Yes your Honor, a BIG stick!"
    "So both you and your partner open fired 23 times?"
    "..."
    "A REALLY BIG stick, your Honor!"
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Was he approaching the cop with the metal rod while the cop was visibly pointing a gun at him?
    If so the cop did nothing wrong.

International Global, Universally known approaching a law enforcement officer with anything that looks like a weapon will get you killed.
    Not in the UK. So not sure where you get the idea this would happen in any other country.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Just waiting for the alt-righters to come into this thread and tell us how their beloved violent cops are right to murder innocent citizens who don't obey their every command.

And that said innocent citizens should just roll over and die should they not have psychic powers to read the minds of said violent cops if they are deaf or developmentally disabled.
    That's just right-wingers in general. You are way too obsessed with the "alt-right" label.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I try to reserve judgement until I see a vid or get both sides of the story.
    That wasn't my "prediction" of how it went down of something....

That was just a sarcastic hypothetical...
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

If he wasn't dangerous, why no on-looker tried to stop him from approaching the officers?

If the officer got his gun out, and you are approaching him in any manner, you are assaulting him, and he has a valid reason to shoot you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was he approaching the cop with the metal rod while the cop was visibly pointing a gun at him?

International Global, Universally known approaching a law enforcement officer with anything that looks like a weapon will get you killed.
    That may be true in the United States, but not globally.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    When I was in grade school the police brought in this "shoot, don't shoot" system to show us kids. You stand in front of this screen with a fake gun and they play a video of a scenario where you have to decide to shoot or don't shoot. The machine will tell you if you're shot or if you shoot the person in the video.

I remember one scenario where you get a call that there's a man with a gun at a train yard. You arrive and this guy is walking toward you, you yell at him to stop but he doesn't he gets closer and closer. He reaches into his shirt. I shot him.

Turns out he pulls out this card that says "I am deaf and mute" so I shot a handicapped person.
    Unless you want to argue that you had the same amount of training police officers commonly have in that situation what is your point?
    Kids and handicapped people in the US deserve to be shot by the police for daring to life in a country that does not understand the definition of "well regulated militia" and is too greedy to pay money for proper training of their police force?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Unless you want to argue that you had the same amount of training police officers commonly have in that situation what is your point?
    Kids and handicapped people in the US deserve to be shot by the police for daring to life in a country that does not understand the definition of "well regulated militia" and is too greedy to pay money for proper training of their police force?
    I think i understand a bit better now how some people get the impression the EU is a terror-ridden civil war zone. If I'd just get my information from this forum, the next time i'm in the united states and see a cop I'd just throw myself to the floor and wait til he is gone...

Deleted
    I don't think his hearing would have mattered really, though it would make the situation more disorientating. A police officer is pointing a gun at you, that's even more of an indication not to walk towards them and to stop what you're doing than any words would have been. The guy clearly either wanted to be shot, didn't care about being shot, or was too mentally unstable to understand the consequences.

Whether I agree with it or not, the mantra is to shoot someone approaching you with a weapon, which they did.

I think the US needs to accept their decision to have a wild west gun culture, embrace it and stop complaining about it.

Lots of people shoot each other all the time, apparently it is a right or something to do so.

The fact that police are scared shitless most of the time on their jobs is a sign of the overall culture - not of police.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So yet ANOTHER officer involved shooting where they kill someone with no criminal background, who posed no immediate threat to them, and wasn't even a suspect in anything. Instead of tazering him, they opened fire and killed him. All because he couldn't hear them even though people were screaming at the officers that the man was deaf...
    If he was indeed deaf then how can he obey police officers verbal commands? It's details like this that make these stories unbelievable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    If he was indeed deaf then how can he obey police officers verbal commands? It's details like this that make these stories unbelievable.
    Because deaf does not equal stupid?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So yet ANOTHER officer involved shooting where they kill someone with no criminal background, who posed no immediate threat to them, and wasn't even a suspect in anything. Instead of tazering him, they opened fire and killed him. All because he couldn't hear them even though people were screaming at the officers that the man was deaf...
    How would the police officer no whether he posed an immediate threat to him?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    When I was in grade school the police brought in this "shoot, don't shoot" system to show us kids. You stand in front of this screen with a fake gun and they play a video of a scenario where you have to decide to shoot or don't shoot. The machine will tell you if you're shot or if you shoot the person in the video.

I remember one scenario where you get a call that there's a man with a gun at a train yard. You arrive and this guy is walking toward you, you yell at him to stop but he doesn't he gets closer and closer. He reaches into his shirt. I shot him.

Turns out he pulls out this card that says "I am deaf and mute" so I shot a handicapped person.
    That's a great example. Because how is someone to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Because deaf does not equal stupid?
    I'm not questioning the intelligence of the man. I'm critiquing the person that wrote the story. I see this all the time and it eventually turns out facts are left out that would make the otherwise cops are assholes story into one that isn't.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-09-21 at 08:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Just waiting for the alt-righters to come into this thread and tell us how their beloved violent cops are right to murder innocent citizens who don't obey their every command.

And that said innocent citizens should just roll over and die should they not have psychic powers to read the minds of said violent cops if they are deaf or developmentally disabled.
    Just waiting for the alt-lefters to come into this thread and tell us how this tragedy should be exploited by a group of racist thugs to give them an excuse to go on a night of rioting, looting and generally beating people up / and telling them they never can, or will be capable of experiencing racism; because of their skin color.

Sad this happened, but anyone with half a brain would think to discard anything that could be considered a weapon when approaching cops.

Deaf or not,
    as he approached them holding a metal pipe didn't hear witnesses yelling that he was deaf, a department official said Wednesday.

Cops are pointing guns at you... and you keep approaching them holding a metal pipe? Was he also blind?

It really depends on the posture of the victim, or how aggressive he was 'approaching' with the metal pipe. Shame cop shootings are so common :\

Just another post with arm chair lawyer and the filling narrative that all cops are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    If he was indeed deaf then how can he obey police officers verbal commands?
    By reading the lips? It doesn't make much experience to understand simple commands.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post

Jesus Christ.

Yeah, but you know they are mentally disabled/impeded. The cops don't know that. If someone comes towards you with a metal rod, twitching and/or waving it around, he could as easily be under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.

No excuse to use live ammo on him, though. "Hey, you got your tazer?" "Sure!" "Cool. Put him down."

You haven't traveled far, have you? Most Cops in the UK don't even have guns on them. Cops in Germany have to go through a ridiculous routine, unless they or others are being fired upon, befor they are allowed to make use of their weapon. The psychological exam for entering police service has a question: Are there any circumstances you can think of where shooting a suspect is the right course of action? If you answer yes, you fail.

But then again, you cannot judge police in general. The US has such a big problem with violent crime that I can somewhat understand that the cops are anxious. Still, with better training and communication, this could have been resolved without lethal violence.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Deaf or not, .

Cops are pointing guns at you... and you keep approaching them holding a metal pipe? Was he also blind?

It really depends on the posture of the victim, or how aggressive he was 'approaching' with the metal pipe. Shame cop shootings are so common :\
    No, but mentally challenged, as the article stated. He might not even have been aware or capable to realize that they thought the pipe was a weapon. For him, it might be a toy, or a tool. I once had a gun drawn at me because I walked briskly into a police station on a cold winters night. I had found an ID, and wanted to turn it in, as the adress wasn't anywhere close by. But since it was cold I also had a scarf around my face and a hood over my head. A sign oninner door cleary said "Do not enter after 10 PM without ringing." - which I did. The officer on watch only saw a masked man coming through said door. I never though of myself as threatening, he obviously did.